200 Members

Forum info, updates, discussion. If you have a request for something you want to see on the forum, feel free to bring it up here.
NIU#1FBinIL

ST_Lawson wrote:
NIU#1FBinIL wrote:Is that right, about the sign?

My mind must be playing tricks on me or I'm thinking of another store (or I was really drunk every time I was there) but I vaguely remember the sign said "The Store" but there was a picture of a liquor bottle between the "The" and the "Store" so everyone called it "The Bottle Store" to avoid confusion.

Was I that drunk?
Well, it was correct back when I was in that area somewhat frequently. That would have been the late '90s mostly. Depending on when you spent time there, if it was before or after that timeframe, they could have changed the name and/or the sign. It's entirely possible you're remembering correctly from when you were there, but I'm positive it was Liquor The Store Beer when I was around there. I might even have a photo...I'll have to see if I can dig one up.
Maybe the sign changed or maybe I'm thinking of another store. I remember there was a liquor store near 4th Street (or so) closer to downtown that we would frequent as well. With that one you could park on the side streets near the residential area of downtown and slip in and out to make purchases (underage and all). Maybe I'm thinking of that store's sign. Good times.
Western_101

Now you've gone and done it NIU.

I knew it was just a matter of time before Scott busted out his treasured photo album of liquor stores. I guess It beats having to watch a slide show of his vacation to the Black Hills ;)

(The only picture I'll ever need is of West Pierce, I keep it framed by my bedside)
wiu712

RedNeck wrote:The only picture I'll ever need is of West Pierce. I keep it framed by my bedside.
Here you go, Redneck!
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb ... gQoioIazAK
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Ok, fine...you got me ;)

How about this fine place?

Oh, and NIU#1, I've got a couple of people trying to dig up a photo of the place in Dekalb to see if it's the same place you're thinking of or if it is a different one. The one I remember was just north of the viaduct on the right (as you're heading north on Annie Glidden).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
NIU#1FBinIL

ST_Lawson wrote: Oh, and NIU#1, I've got a couple of people trying to dig up a photo of the place in Dekalb to see if it's the same place you're thinking of or if it is a different one. The one I remember was just north of the viaduct on the right (as you're heading north on Annie Glidden).
I'm starting to think that we both may be right.

It's possible that the sign did have a picture of a bottle between the words "The Store" and that it was flanked on the left by the word "Liquor" and on the right by the word "Beer" and that I just never noticed (or paid attention to) the words on either side.

Is it possible that you may have forgotten, or didn't notice, a bottle being depicted in between the words of the sign?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

NIU#1FBinIL wrote:
ST_Lawson wrote: Oh, and NIU#1, I've got a couple of people trying to dig up a photo of the place in Dekalb to see if it's the same place you're thinking of or if it is a different one. The one I remember was just north of the viaduct on the right (as you're heading north on Annie Glidden).
I'm starting to think that we both may be right.

It's possible that the sign did have a picture of a bottle between the words "The Store" and that it was flanked on the left by the word "Liquor" and on the right by the word "Beer" and that I just never noticed (or paid attention to) the words on either side.

Is it possible that you may have forgotten, or didn't notice, a bottle being depicted in between the words of the sign?
Yup, that's entirely possible.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

NIU#1FBinIL wrote:I vaguely remember the sign said "The Store" but there was a picture of a liquor bottle between the "The" and the "Store" so everyone called it "The Bottle Store" to avoid confusion.
I am a NIU grad. I remember that place as being called "The Bottle Store".

When I went to NIU there were two very popular spots in downtown DeKalb. They were close to each other. I think that one was called "McCabes". I don't remember the name of the other place.

The place to go to on Thursday nights was north on Annie Glidden Road. I think it was called the "Red Lion". Thursday night was "Quarter Beer Night"!
wiu bb 31

ST_Lawson wrote:Ok, fine...you got me ;)

How about this fine place?

Oh, and NIU#1, I've got a couple of people trying to dig up a photo of the place in Dekalb to see if it's the same place you're thinking of or if it is a different one. The one I remember was just north of the viaduct on the right (as you're heading north on Annie Glidden).
I spent more money at Barsi's House of Bottles than I did on tuition.
NIU#1FBinIL

wiu712 wrote:
NIU#1FBinIL wrote:I vaguely remember the sign said "The Store" but there was a picture of a liquor bottle between the "The" and the "Store" so everyone called it "The Bottle Store" to avoid confusion.
I remember that place as being called "The Bottle Store".
That's what I remember as well.

Do you remember the "The Store" sign with the picture of the bottle between the words?
wiu712

NIU#1FBinIL wrote:Do you remember the "The Store" sign with the picture of the bottle between the words?
Oh, yes! I remember it very well. That store was a frequent stop for us guys who lived on the "21 and up" floor of Grant South.

It was located in a little strip mall at the corner of West Lincoln Highway (Route 38) and Annie Glidden Road.

This should bring back some memories:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7076/739 ... 3cdc_b.jpg