How is Dunkin Donuts coming along?

Miscellaneous discussions. Things that don't have anything to do with Western, Leatherneck Athletics, college sports in general, etc.
wiu712

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:57 am The old Papa Johns has been torn down.

Niemann Foods owns that property.  Not sure what their plans are.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:18 am
leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:57 am The old Papa Johns has been torn down.

Niemann Foods owns that property.  Not sure what their plans are.

Even if there aren't any plans, I doubt they could have used the building for anything. It was in really bad shape and was an eyesore. Probably easier to sell or develop the property if it's empty than having that building sitting on it.

Also, just fyi, the new Mexican Ice Cream place has a nice new coat of paint on it (no word yet on when it's supposed to open). It's going to be located where the old Subway on the east side of town was (across from the movie theater and the old K-Mart).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

KHQA-TV-7 reported that the Pizza Hut has closed effective immediately.
vatusay

Sad to see another business close. I think Pizza Hut has been a dying brand for a while now. A lot of people “out pizza” the hut. 
#ALLIN #YOLO
sealhall74

Anyone have any thoughts on Haymarket as a place to grab some quick grub to go?  I drove past it my last time in town and had flashbacks to about 40 years ago or so.  I think it was a Nieman's Grocery store way back then. I did hit McAllisters my last visit.  Never disappoints,  me at least. 

Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:57 pm Anyone have any thoughts on Haymarket as a place to grab some quick grub to go?  I drove past it my last time in town and had flashbacks to about 40 years ago or so.  I think it was a Nieman's Grocery store way back then. I did hit McAllisters my last visit.  Never disappoints,  me at least.

I haven't eaten there, but my niece, who is a mac and cheese connoisseur, said it's the best mac and cheese she'd ever had. She did a week long "taste test" this summer, trying mac and cheese from any place in town that sells it. Apparently the chicken is pretty decent too.

Yeah, 40 years ago it would have been Neiman's (or maybe Neimann's...not sure the exact spelling).
vatusay

Chicken strips are good if get them fresh. 

their potato and macaroni salad is good, too. 

#ALLIN #YOLO
wiu712

Employees confused, worried after Pizza Hut suddenly closes.
From WGEM-TV News:
https://www.wgem.com/video/2021/12/10/e ... ly-closes/

sealhall74

wiu712 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:31 pm Employees confused, worried after Pizza Hut suddenly closes.
From WGEM-TV News:

In the video, there was a reflection of Casey's next door in the window.  lol.  There in lies the problem.  They are everywhere.  I have 2 of em within a mile of my home here in Davenport.  Back in the day, Pizza Hut had a more varied menu, with sandwich and pasta options.  My fav was the Supreme hot sub.  So tasty.  Also had a salad bar iirc.  I still liked the thin crust pizza from Pizza Hut when I did not want to pig out on a lot of dough. 
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:47 am
wiu712 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:31 pm Employees confused, worried after Pizza Hut suddenly closes.
From WGEM-TV News:

In the video, there was a reflection of Casey's next door in the window.  lol.  There in lies the problem.  They are everywhere.  I have 2 of em within a mile of my home here in Davenport.  Back in the day, Pizza Hut had a more varied menu, with sandwich and pasta options.  My fav was the Supreme hot sub.  So tasty.  Also had a salad bar iirc.  I still liked the thin crust pizza from Pizza Hut when I did not want to pig out on a lot of dough.

I remember when I was a kid, you'd get your "Book-It" pin and go get your personal pan pizza and play Ms. Pacman on the "table top" arcade version. They definitely had not kept things up more recently though. When I told her that it had closed, she said "it's sad for the employees there, but honestly that place was a dump".