Forum Upgrade + New Template

Forum info, updates, discussion. If you have a request for something you want to see on the forum, feel free to bring it up here.
leatherneckcountry

so i noticed the page goes directly to the forum instead of the page with the latest WIU articles.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:32 pm so i noticed the page goes directly to the forum instead of the page with the latest WIU articles.
That's temporary. I had to re-write the code for the front page because it broke when the update went through. It's getting there, but there's a weird overlap with a couple of the right side columns on certain screen sizes that I'm having trouble getting worked out.
You can view the page in it's current (not 100% working) state here: http://www.leathernecknation.net/index_old_2018.php

Once I get it all worked out, I'll re-enable the "front page" again.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I set up the front page again. Currently there's not a real obvious link to the message board though (I'm working on that), but I added a "Message Board" link on the left side below the header that you can click on to get to the forum. Still a work in progress, but I wanted you guys to know.
sealhall74

ST, my Chrome automatic login form values for user and password are not showing up any more and I am not getting prompted to save them.. I assume related to your recent change. I think we saw this before. Might be related to HTTP vs HTTPS.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:12 am ST, my Chrome automatic login form values for user and password are not showing up any more and I am not getting prompted to save them.. I assume related to your recent change. I think we saw this before. Might be related to HTTP vs HTTPS.
Yes, that's the issue. The front page was referencing an image that was at a http address and since one item on the page wasn't secure, none of it was secure. I changed it to a https address and it looks like it should work now. At least, it's giving me the green padlock on my browser, and usually that means that you're good to go with your login stuff.
sealhall74

Not related to this site, but why is that when I do a google search on WIU football within Chrome, Charlie Fisher shows up as the Head Coach in that summary box off to the side of the search results? Fake News is everywhere these days. :(

Update: after further research, I am guessing it because Jared Elliott does not have a Wiki page. That should be easy to fix.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:Not related to this site, but why is that when I do a google search on WIU football within Chrome, Charlie Fisher shows up as the Head Coach in that summary box off to the side of the search results? Fake News is everywhere these days. :(

Update: after further research, I am guessing it because Jared Elliott does not have a Wiki page. That should be easy to fix.
That's correct. Most of the info that Google uses for that sidebar stuff comes from Wikipedia. Feel free to edit it if you want, or I can see about doing it this afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sealhall74

ST, I am planning on rolling out the pickem game late next week. Do you still want me to use this site as the home base for the contest to generate some ad revenue? No major changes from last year although I tried to prune out a few things that might have caused some performance issues during the pick posting. I still want to experiment with putting the picks in a real mysql table, not prior to next week but sometime down the road. The general idea would be to put the user picks in a database table and then have a query formula in the Picks sheet which grabs all of the data from that mysql table. The Picks sheet would already have the necessary row formulas in place. I think this might be faster than dynamically inserting the sheet rows for the picks and creating the formulas on the fly but we shall see. To try this out, I would need a table according to the following specification along with permissions to insert, update, delete from it. Also need the JDBC connection details for the database.

CREATE TABLE Picks (
Week int,
Player varchar(255),
Game int,
Code varchar (10),
Pick varchar(255),
Margin int,
PowerPick int,
StatPick int
);
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:51 am ST, I am planning on rolling out the pickem game late next week. Do you still want me to use this site as the home base for the contest to generate some ad revenue? No major changes from last year although I tried to prune out a few things that might have caused some performance issues during the pick posting. I still want to experiment with putting the picks in a real mysql table, not prior to next week but sometime down the road. The general idea would be to put the user picks in a database table and then have a query formula in the Picks sheet which grabs all of the data from that mysql table. The Picks sheet would already have the necessary row formulas in place. I think this might be faster than dynamically inserting the sheet rows for the picks and creating the formulas on the fly but we shall see. To try this out, I would need a table according to the following specification along with permissions to insert, update, delete from it. Also need the JDBC connection details for the database.

CREATE TABLE Picks (
Week int,
Player varchar(255),
Game int,
Code varchar (10),
Pick varchar(255),
Margin int,
PowerPick int,
StatPick int
);
Hosted here - sure, we can continue to do that. Will you still want to do an embedded google spreadsheet page or do it some other way this time?
If you'd like, down the road, we can see about an entirely locally-hosted setup. I consider myself "halfway-decent" at php and mysql (just got done setting up a new job posting system for HR using those technologies actually) and we could probably recreate what you do in google in php and have much more control over how things are presented.

I'll work on getting that table set up for you and send you access info.
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:29 am
sealhall74 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:51 am ST, I am planning on rolling out the pickem game late next week. Do you still want me to use this site as the home base for the contest to generate some ad revenue? No major changes from last year although I tried to prune out a few things that might have caused some performance issues during the pick posting. I still want to experiment with putting the picks in a real mysql table, not prior to next week but sometime down the road. The general idea would be to put the user picks in a database table and then have a query formula in the Picks sheet which grabs all of the data from that mysql table. The Picks sheet would already have the necessary row formulas in place. I think this might be faster than dynamically inserting the sheet rows for the picks and creating the formulas on the fly but we shall see. To try this out, I would need a table according to the following specification along with permissions to insert, update, delete from it. Also need the JDBC connection details for the database.

CREATE TABLE Picks (
Week int,
Player varchar(255),
Game int,
Code varchar (10),
Pick varchar(255),
Margin int,
PowerPick int,
StatPick int
);
Hosted here - sure, we can continue to do that. Will you still want to do an embedded google spreadsheet page or do it some other way this time?
If you'd like, down the road, we can see about an entirely locally-hosted setup. I consider myself "halfway-decent" at php and mysql (just got done setting up a new job posting system for HR using those technologies actually) and we could probably recreate what you do in google in php and have much more control over how things are presented.

I'll work on getting that table set up for you and send you access info.
Like it was last year is good. I think it was embedded on a page and I think you had a button on it to go to a full page view IRC. My eventual goal is to make it all run on one server which is the way it should be. But those google sheet formulas make it so nice. I just put in the game score in the Games sheet (also can run a trigger to have it done every hour or so) and the leaderboard gets automatically adjusted. I think mysql has update triggers, etc. to do the same thing. Whatever code you go with on the server, it needs to reach out to the NCAA site, Conference site, Massey site to get everything it needs. There is no manual entry of weekly schedule right now, it is all automated.