New Front Page

Forum info, updates, discussion. If you have a request for something you want to see on the forum, feel free to bring it up here.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

So, I went ahead and made the new front page live. It's still a work-in-progress, but I think it's good enough for now. Let me know what else you might want to see on the front page.

You can get to the front page by just going to www.leathernecknation.net or clicking on the title at the top of the page. To get back to the forum section, you click on the Forum button on the top right of the page. Eventually, the links to the other pages will reside there as well (chat, social media, etc.).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU0812

That is all pretty awesome though I think there needs to be more attention brought to forum so individuals that come to site do not miss that feature and think it is just another page similar to go leathernecks.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU0812 wrote:That is all pretty awesome though I think there needs to be more attention brought to forum so individuals that come to site do not miss that feature and think it is just another page similar to go leathernecks.
Yea, after using it this way for a bit, I'm in agreement with you. I've temporarily put the redirect back into place to send people directly to the Forum Page first until I can figure out a way to more prominently feature the forum aspect.
sealhall74

Simply changing those button colors to gold (like the home button) would help. That way they stand out a bit from rest of stuff.
Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU0812

sealhall74 wrote:Simply changing those button colors to gold (like the home button) would help. That way they stand out a bit from rest of stuff.
Completely agree maybe flip the buttons and the Fling out the Purple and the gold as most the time you see the options to move around a page on the right it seems like. Still hoping ST is able to talk to his friends and get them to let him use one of their photo designs to customize the top of page instead of the standard pick from backgrounds and titles.
WIU0812

Any luck figuring out how to turn top icons yellow or getting a new title made for top?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU0812 wrote:Any luck figuring out how to turn top icons yellow or getting a new title made for top?
I tried out one idea for the buttons...which didn't work. So I'll probably have to go in and edit the original image that has the pieces of the buttons.

The problem with using an image for the title bar is that it's gotta look good with the theme. Also, I can't just make it a big rectangle, since that won't blend in well with the overall look of the site. And, it's gotta look good both in a wide format and a more narrower format. I'm still working out ideas on it.
WIU0812

Understandable, was just trying to think of ideas to make it a unique and different forum instead of using the standard settings. I imagine what I am asking is very hard sorry.
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote:
WIU0812 wrote:Any luck figuring out how to turn top icons yellow or getting a new title made for top?
I tried out one idea for the buttons...which didn't work. So I'll probably have to go in and edit the original image that has the pieces of the buttons.

The problem with using an image for the title bar is that it's gotta look good with the theme. Also, I can't just make it a big rectangle, since that won't blend in well with the overall look of the site. And, it's gotta look good both in a wide format and a more narrower format. I'm still working out ideas on it.
An image in SVG (scalable vector graphics) format might work for flexible banner bar. Would take a little work to create one but might be worth the effort.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:An image in SVG (scalable vector graphics) format might work for flexible banner bar. Would take a little work to create one but might be worth the effort.
True, but SVG support for browsers is still pretty flaky. Most of the newest versions of the browsers do support it, but there's still a lot of people using older versions of browsers out there. I'm not too worried about the file format, it's more of an issue with getting the design aspect right.