Automatic posts from RSS

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Just trying something new. I have set up a user named FeedBot that should start a post thread whenever something gets posted to the GoLeathernecks website. If it looks like it works well, I might try to filter them so that football-related posts go to the football forum, women's basketball to that forum, etc.

Once/if they start showing up, let me know what you think. You should be able to respond to them just like any thread and they can be used as conversation starters.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:51 pm Just trying something new. I have set up a user named FeedBot that should start a post thread whenever something gets posted to the GoLeathernecks website. If it looks like it works well, I might try to filter them so that football-related posts go to the football forum, women's basketball to that forum, etc.

Once/if they start showing up, let me know what you think. You should be able to respond to them just like any thread and they can be used as conversation starters.
I know it still is a work in progress but IMO, the difficulty will be filtering out the news feed posts that are not worthy of further conversation. That is almost an artificial intelligence kind of thing filter.

Update: Another possibility would be to add a shortcut on the front page news for each item there to create a thread for that item if some user thinks it it worthy of it. I guess you could auto-create the subject, insert the item or link to in the first post of the thread. Does not 712 basically do this manually right now anyway? Could make his job easier. :lol:
Embrace the pace of the race.