Farewell, WIU

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
beauspencer

Just wanted to come on here and thank everyone that I have engaged with on the forums, at games, and those who listened to the broadcasts on the Leatherneck Sports Network. I have accepted a position with the Allen Lund Company's Madison office in Middleton, Wisconsin. It's going to be very tough to leave Macomb and WIU, but on the bright side Leatherneck Nation will have one more Madison resident wearing purple and gold in September.
wiu712

Congrats, Beau!

Madison is a beautiful city.

Enjoy all of the fun spots on State Street (between the Capitol and UW)!
WIU0812

Wow, congrats on the new job though you will be greatly missed. Hopefully you grab yourself a WIU flag before you leave and hang it high on your house for all of Madison to see! Good luck!
meganeck

Congrats Beau, You brought a lot to the broadcasts and will be sorely missed. I hope you don't give up broadcasting games, you have a talent for it.
Neckfansince71

Beau,

Good luck! Enjoyed your broadcasts and admired your patience as you waited each night after the game to talk with "Coach Mo!" ;)
sealhall74

If we do not get at minimum a cameo appearance from Beau on or about Sep 6 of this year, I will be extremely disappointed.

Maybe not the right thread to voice this, but one big thing that differentiates Western from most other Summit and Valley teams is this: For the major revenue sports, the others seem to have broadcast teams that are a little more "permanent press" in nature. Not saying the students are doing a bad job, but it is extremely difficult to build up a good remote fan base when the broadcasters come and go a lot. Maybe Tommy can work on that.
Embrace the pace of the race.
BobLovely

Best wishes for success Beau! I will miss your call of the WIU football games as I listen online. I lived in Wisconsin for 31 years after I graduated from Western. I hope you can tolerate long winters [essentially November-April]. I lived in Madison for my first 12 years in Wisconsin and I visit there several times a year. Madison is beautiful city with now horrific traffic. The Badger football games are fun and they are an "event." Enjoy!

Bob
Last edited by BobLovely on Mon May 19, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

It's been great having you here Beau. I hope Mad-town treats you well.

Just remember, LeatherneckNation.net works just as well from the beaches of Lake Mendota as it does from the scenic shores of Lake Ruth. Don't be a stranger.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck

sealhall74 wrote:If we do not get at minimum a cameo appearance from Beau on or about Sep 6 of this year, I will be extremely disappointed.

Maybe not the right thread to voice this, but one big thing that differentiates Western from most other Summit and Valley teams is this: For the major revenue sports, the others seem to have broadcast teams that are a little more "permanent press" in nature. Not saying the students are doing a bad job, but it is extremely difficult to build up a good remote fan base when the broadcasters come and go a lot. Maybe Tommy can work on that.

Seal I agree, Beau brought a little professionalism to the broadcasts. Using students or having a new person every year seems a little amateurish.
beauspencer

Thanks, everybody. I'll be keeping my "summer home" in Macomb so I'll be back throughout the year. And of course, I'll still hang out here!