A New Beginning has Begun

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
Post Reply
User avatar
Tere North
Posts: 964
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:59 pm

Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:52 pm

Here's the type of success Joe Rives is promoting he has made at WIU-QC and ergo, should be President.

What do you see when you look at this slide of from his annual Performance report (that as far as I know, not presentations were made this year like they normally are). You will need to click on it to see the entire image.

Image


If you want to see the entire slide set in PDF format, this is slide 59 and you can download it from http://www.wiu.edu/qc/about/pdfs/report ... tation.pdf
User avatar
Neckfansince71
Posts: 937
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:06 pm

Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:26 pm

I like the Provost/President, but I think we would be better off if we had another person sharing the load. I think the removal of our two BOT members had everything to do with pay back from Springfield. Nick and Jill took the bullet in order to remove Jack. This Joe thing is merely a minor plot in what was going on and it's result. I really think with Nick and Jill still in the mix Kirk Dillard is acting president and in a way, I would love for him to assume that role in October in order to allow Dr. Abraham to effectively do his job with the academic changes that are needed to make WIU competitive again. We also really, really, really need some construction to start! How about a Football Building, or a CPA? And time to get the Science Building going too! Come on, lets get things really rolling. ;) jc
User avatar
Tere North
Posts: 964
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:59 pm

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:06 pm

Neckfansince71 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:26 pm
I like the Provost/President, but I think we would be better off if we had another person sharing the load. I think the removal of our two BOT members had everything to do with pay back from Springfield. Nick and Jill took the bullet in order to remove Jack. This Joe thing is merely a minor plot in what was going on and it's result. I really think with Nick and Jill still in the mix Kirk Dillard is acting president and in a way, I would love for him to assume that role in October in order to allow Dr. Abraham to effectively do his job with the academic changes that are needed to make WIU competitive again. We also really, really, really need some construction to start! How about a Football Building, or a CPA? And time to get the Science Building going too! Come on, lets get things really rolling. ;) jc
Nick and Jill? Nick Padgett and Jackie Thompson were the two ousted BOT members.
User avatar
Neckfansince71
Posts: 937
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:06 pm

Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:04 am

Tere, I stand corrected! ;) jc
User avatar
Tere North
Posts: 964
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:59 pm

Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:37 am

Neckfansince71 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:04 am
Tere, I stand corrected! ;) jc
I was just trying to figure out who Nick and Jill were :o I remember Jack and Jill and their dog Spot from grade school, but Nick and Jill was eluding me :D
rocki
Posts: 988
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:08 pm

Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:10 am

Tere North wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:37 am
Neckfansince71 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:04 am
Tere, I stand corrected! ;) jc
I was just trying to figure out who Nick and Jill were :o I remember Jack and Jill and their dog Spot from grade school, but Nick and Jill was eluding me :D
Hmmm. I had Dick and Jane and Spot when I was in school. And I think the cat was Puff.
wiu712
Posts: 4830
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:05 pm

Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:09 pm

In response to Governor JB Pritzker’s decision to pull the names of two recent Western Illinois University Board of Trustees appointees just hours before their scheduled confirmation hearing, State Representative Norine Hammond has issued the following statement:

“On Wednesday evening, I learned of a very serious situation that impacts the future of Western Illinois University. Just hours before the scheduled WIU Board of Trustees meeting on July 11, two appointed, yet unconfirmed, members of that board learned that their names had pulled from their appointments. This situation and the circumstances that have lead to this point are disappointing and, quite frankly, disgusting.

“As with hundreds of other board appointees across the state, these individuals were selected by Governor JB Pritzker and were seated on the Board of Trustees, pending confirmation by the Senate Confirmation Committee. Unfortunately, this committee has failed to act upon a large backlog of confirmations in a meaningful way, leaving our entire WIU board vulnerable to retaliatory action by those in the highest levels of our state government. As unconfirmed members, they can be removed from this board at the first sign that they might not fall in line with those with the power to remove them. This reality compromises their ability to make decisions that are in the best interest of the body they serve.

“The scenario that I just explained is what has occurred here at WIU this week. As mentioned, two individuals had their names removed by the governor’s office hours before their scheduled Board of Trustees meeting. These two highly qualified individuals were deserving of their position and sincere in their desire to see Western succeed. One is a WIU alum who has achieved great success in the area of finance, a skill that would benefit our University greatly. The other is retired from a long, dedicated career serving the WIU community with great success. Keep in mind that these individuals were appointed by the governor no more than 4 months ago.

“While I am disappointed with the governor’s decision to remove these two individuals, I think the Pritzker administration has been subjected to a campaign of misinformation from a group of individuals who seek to undermine the future of WIU for their own personal benefit. These individuals must be identified and dealt with appropriately. WIU’s Board of Trustees, like all independent boards across the state, must retain the autonomy that is critical to guiding the University to a prosperous future.”
leatherneckcountry
Posts: 1043
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 4:55 pm

Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:54 pm

wiu712 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:09 pm
In response to Governor JB Pritzker’s decision to pull the names of two recent Western Illinois University Board of Trustees appointees just hours before their scheduled confirmation hearing, State Representative Norine Hammond has issued the following statement:

“On Wednesday evening, I learned of a very serious situation that impacts the future of Western Illinois University. Just hours before the scheduled WIU Board of Trustees meeting on July 11, two appointed, yet unconfirmed, members of that board learned that their names had pulled from their appointments. This situation and the circumstances that have lead to this point are disappointing and, quite frankly, disgusting.

“As with hundreds of other board appointees across the state, these individuals were selected by Governor JB Pritzker and were seated on the Board of Trustees, pending confirmation by the Senate Confirmation Committee. Unfortunately, this committee has failed to act upon a large backlog of confirmations in a meaningful way, leaving our entire WIU board vulnerable to retaliatory action by those in the highest levels of our state government. As unconfirmed members, they can be removed from this board at the first sign that they might not fall in line with those with the power to remove them. This reality compromises their ability to make decisions that are in the best interest of the body they serve.

“The scenario that I just explained is what has occurred here at WIU this week. As mentioned, two individuals had their names removed by the governor’s office hours before their scheduled Board of Trustees meeting. These two highly qualified individuals were deserving of their position and sincere in their desire to see Western succeed. One is a WIU alum who has achieved great success in the area of finance, a skill that would benefit our University greatly. The other is retired from a long, dedicated career serving the WIU community with great success. Keep in mind that these individuals were appointed by the governor no more than 4 months ago.

“While I am disappointed with the governor’s decision to remove these two individuals, I think the Pritzker administration has been subjected to a campaign of misinformation from a group of individuals who seek to undermine the future of WIU for their own personal benefit. These individuals must be identified and dealt with appropriately. WIU’s Board of Trustees, like all independent boards across the state, must retain the autonomy that is critical to guiding the University to a prosperous future.”
I’m a huge Norine supporter but I disagree with her on this one just cause someone has long ties to something doesn’t mean that it has there best interest at heart.
User avatar
sealhall74
Posts: 4023
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:18 pm
Location: Wherever, Windblows

Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:49 am

Maybe we should do what Penn State does and let the alumni elect some (maybe all?) of the BOT members. I like that approach. It keeps alumni involved in the future of their alma mater. If they send in a donation check with their ballot, even better. ;)

https://news.psu.edu/story/572925/2019/ ... -announced
If Jimmy V was a programmer like me, he would have said it like this: while (!(succeed = try()));
User avatar
Tere North
Posts: 964
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:59 pm

Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:36 am

sealhall74 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:49 am
Maybe we should do what Penn State does and let the alumni elect some (maybe all?) of the BOT members. I like that approach. It keeps alumni involved in the future of their alma mater. If they send in a donation check with their ballot, even better. ;)

https://news.psu.edu/story/572925/2019/ ... -announced
We have alumni on the Board - 2 less now with the removal of Padgett and Thompson. Only 1 Board member had no prior affiliation with Western, that being Aguilar.
Post Reply