Performing Arts Center

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
Neckfansince71

The president today announced at the end of the "state of university" speech that construction on the CPA will start "very" soon.  All that is missing right now in my opinion is an "official" announcement from the state of Illinois and Gov. Pritzker who I am sure will make a big deal out of this building and its effect on the west central Illinois area.  Not quite sure about the specifics and who eventually paid for what but its time to get this underway.  (President also said freshmen enrollment was up again! ;)
 jc

wiu712

University Assembly, 08/19/2022.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Neckfansince71 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:32 pm (President also said freshmen enrollment was up again! ;)
 jc

Total enrollment will likely be up again as well, although that official number isn't calculated until after the first 2 weeks of classes. There's still time for people to drop out, but it's unlikely there'll be that many who do.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Neckfansince71 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:32 pm The President also said freshmen enrollment was up again! 

1,000 Freshmen and 350 International Students were the numbers announced at Friday night's "Western Welcome" at Hanson Field.

Tere North

wiu712 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:40 pm University Assembly, 08/19/2022.

"Will beging shortly" for 19+ minutes. Skip to the 19:50 minute mark for the first speaker.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I don't know if this has anything to do with the PAC, but apparently the Governor and Lt. Governor will be on campus on Saturday.

Might also be what this is referring to:

EDIT - ok, so the "something big" is happening in September, and I believe it's the start of a new big fundraising campaign. That doesn't change what I heard about the governor being here on Saturday.
WIU0812

Haven't heard any more about the PAC, Governor or the big news anyone have updates?
sealhall74

WIU0812 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:24 pm Haven't heard any more about the PAC, Governor or the big news anyone have updates?

Wouldn't it be nice if the McDonough Voice had a little interest in the local community?  SMH, they don't even have the Friday night scores from HS football.  Or at least I cant find them in the online edition.  If Gannett owns it, it will be shoddy at best.  Des Moines Register is now embarrassing and it was a leading paper on the national scale back in the 70s.  Newspapers are now like McDonalds.  The only thing that matters is how many you have in your portfolio.

Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU0812 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:24 pm Haven't heard any more about the PAC, Governor or the big news anyone have updates?

The Governor and Lt. Governor did visit town this weekend, but it was for a campaign event, not anything to do with the university.
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:30 am

Wouldn't it be nice if the McDonough Voice had a little interest in the local community?  SMH, they don't even have the Friday night scores from HS football.  Or at least I cant find them in the online edition.  If Gannett owns it, it will be shoddy at best.  Des Moines Register is now embarrassing and it was a leading paper on the national scale back in the 70s.  Newspapers are now like McDonalds.  The only thing that matters is how many you have in your portfolio.

Last I knew, the Voice only published from Monday through Friday. Meaning the high school football scores wouldn't be available in a timely fashion at all. It's a far cry from what I grew up with - The Macomb Daily Journal. It was a small town newspaper, sure, and didn't compete with the Tribute or Sun Times; but it at least had a Saturday edition that printed local sports and pictures. Change isn't always bad, but it isn't always good, either.