Performing Arts Center

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Western_101 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:46 pm Terre was right!

If it costs me $120 to go to Jersey Boys in Peoria, it would have to cost at least $240 to go to that show in Macomb (actually more,.... shows like Jersey Boys and Wicked sell out Peoria's 2,200 seat theater
).
There's a difference between the shows that tour larger cities and the ones that tour the smaller places...different "tiers". If Jersey Boys were to come to Macomb, it would be a smaller-scale production than the Jersey Boys that would play in Peoria. Fewer crew, smaller sets, still a good show, but much cheaper to tour with. Wicked, we'd probably never see in Macomb due to the large scale of sets and everything needed to do it justice.

Back in the early '00s, a show called Blast! was touring larger venues around the country, and I went to see it in Peoria. It was essentially the same production as was put on Broadway and London's West End, although many of the personnel had changed (I knew some people involved in a couple of the productions). It was full-sized, had nearly 70 performers, large crew, and filled up a large stage.

A few years later, it was touring around again, but this time made a stop in Macomb. It was a much smaller-scale production, with about half as many performers (~30 by my estimation) and with everything else scaled down accordingly. Still a very fun and entertaining show, but probably MUCH cheaper to get on the road.

So, no, it wouldn't cost that much to see a show in Macomb, because it wouldn't be the exact same show. Some shows just wouldn't work on as small of a stage (like I said...Wicked...probably things like the Lion King, Frozen, Hamilton, etc.), but there's plenty that could be adapted to a smaller-sized stage very effectively...Book of Mormon, Waitress...and I know shows like Jesus Christ Superstar and Rent can do it, I saw both of them in Western Hall.

For another example, let's take a look at Missouri S&T's Leach Theatre. Rolla (a town a little larger than Macomb) and Missouri S&T (a school a little larger than Western currently is) have a theater with a capacity of 650 (they don't even have any kind of theatre, music, or performing arts majors, just fyi). Obviously they haven't had much this last year, but acts they've had in the last 5 years include: Jersey Boys, Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood, the Texas Tenors, 42nd Street, STOMP, the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra, the Russian National Ballet Theatre, William Shatner's one-man show, and more. They've also hosted TEDx events there as well as a handful of locally-produced "community outreach" shows. These are the kinds of events/shows that I grew up going to at Western Hall, but have disappeared from the community due to the lack of a permanent theater.

Western, despite it's troubles, has a solid fine arts program...music and theatre especially...and to think that we don't have a performing arts center of some kind...and that the largest actual theater in town is the one at the high school...that's pretty sad.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Western_101 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:22 pmWhat venues/capacities are in Quincy or Burlington?
Burlington has 2 entertainment venues:
Burlington Memorial Auditorium has a capacity of 2,500.
Capitol Theatre has a capacity of 700.

The theatre inside the Oakley-Lindsay Center in Quincy has a capacity of 498.

Plans are underway to renovate the Washington Theatre in downtown Quincy into a multi-use entertainment facility.

The Orpheum Theatre in Galesburg has a capacity of 970.
Tere North

I would love it if this meant we would bring back the Summer Music Theatre series. That was a wonderful series of shows put in my highly talented individuals, many who came to Macomb over the summer just for it. I hated seeing it go.
sealhall74

I would have to think promoters for shows held at these smaller venues know right up front they cant rely on ticket sales alone to make ends meet. Its more about a steady stream of donations and fund-raisers held throughout the year.

BTW, I saw the Texas Tenors at the Adler a year or so ago. Well worth the price of admission.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:09 am I would have to think promoters for shows held at these smaller venues know right up front they cant rely on ticket sales alone to make ends meet. Its more about a steady stream of donations and fund-raisers held throughout the year.
Right, business sponsorships, BCA memberships, maybe some school funding, etc. In this situation, it's not about trying to turn a profit from ticket sales and stuff, it's about enriching and entertaining the student population and the local community.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
GV Dad

Western_101 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:22 pm Ummmmm can we spend those millions on a football stadium?

No, none, zero, national touring act is coming to a 900 seat venue.

For Christ's sake this State bungles and misappropriates billions on a regular basis they just can't live with themselves unless they have a hand in diminishing something to the point that it actually becomes a waste of money.

There is probably a list of things that this money could be used for. Hopefully this will bring some added revenue to the school so we can do more things down the road. Hate to think that this is just the equivalent of a brand new truck parked outside the doublewide.
Neckfansince71

Well well!  I see progress........

https://www2.illinois.gov/cdb/announcem ... 0Event.pdf

jc

sealhall74

I am skeptical of all virtual this or that or shiny shovels with mounds of dirt in front of them.
I am waiting for the big backhoe to come up with that first bucket of dirt.
Even hitting an unexpected water line or sewer pipe would be OK with me at this point.'
Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU0812

I'll believe it when I see it thing doesnt even appear to be out for bid yet, it got farther than that last time.
Western_101

Deny

Delay 

Don't pay.

Of course that's the Janssen Law Center words.

Is it any different than what Western Illinois University is subjected to?

Is it?