Football Recruits - 2021

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:58 am The Transfer Portal Twitter is usually better than this. The kid committed back in April, they just picked up his photo day pic he tweeted. Hopefully he can be a big addition to our DB room! We need all the help we can get.
I thought he sounded familiar: https://www.leathernecknation.net/forum ... 986#p32986
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:07 pm
GV Dad wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:58 am The Transfer Portal Twitter is usually better than this. The kid committed back in April, they just picked up his photo day pic he tweeted. Hopefully he can be a big addition to our DB room! We need all the help we can get.
I thought he sounded familiar: https://www.leathernecknation.net/forum ... 986#p32986
To many transfers coming in for me to keep track of.
GV Dad

leatherneckcountry wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:50 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:07 pm
To many transfers coming in for me to keep track of.
No Kidding!
WIU2DC

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/07/watch-list/

I don’t see Ron Cherry on our roster but was introduced in February in our class. Anyone have any idea?

James Frenchie Jr (RB) is a new name and if my googling/Twitter search is correct he transferred from Illinois and was a 4 Image️ recruit. Coach Roberts and Connor Sampson follows him on Twitter but still lists U of I as his school.

Myles Wanza is a grad transfer RB from Lamar. He did pretty well there. Another new name that I didn’t see on Twitter before him being listed on our roster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4EverPurple&Gold

We are basically Transfer U right now!
GV Dad

WIU2DC wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:57 am
I don’t see Ron Cherry on our roster but was introduced in February in our class. Anyone have any idea?

Cherry quit Mid Season in the Spring. That's the thing with transfers, especially underclassmen. There's a reason why things didn't work out at their last school, and most of the time those issues follow them to their next school. I have learned not to expect anything from an Undergrad transfer until they prove they will be able to contribute. Most flame out. Grad transfers, I have more faith, as they have at least taken care of their business academically.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:40 am
WIU2DC wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:57 am

Cherry quit Mid Season in the Spring. That's the thing with transfers, especially underclassmen. There's a reason why things didn't work out at their last school, and most of the time those issues follow them to their next school. I have learned not to expect anything from an Undergrad transfer until they prove they will be able to contribute. Most flame out. Grad transfers, I have more faith, as they have at least taken care of their business academically.
Yeah, it seems like out of every 100 transfers you get, you have maybe 50 that don't even see the field, 40 that get playing time but aren't anything special, 8-9 that get significant playing time/contributions, and 1-2 that are really impressive. By "really impressive", I'm thinking along the lines of guys we've had like Aaron Stecker (started at Wisconsin), Jeff Hecklinski (started at Illinois), or J.C. Baker (Arizona Western JUCO).

Most don't work out, but you occasionally get a few solid starters.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Neckfansince71

Ah Transfers........during my 23 basketball coaching career we had a whole lot of players transfer in from urban Chicago and suburbs like Hillside and Maywood. Most if not all of these kids talked a good game but really in the long they did not believe in team as much as they thought for sure they would get more playing time out in the burbs. Most of them, in fact almost all of them never proved to be worth keeping let alone playing. But in 89/90 a 6'4" thick power forward transferred into Lombard from Hillside where he had basically the best sophomore in a talented group of players at Proviso West. His mom and step dad were very supported which always helps and when I called my buddy who coached at PW, all he could say was, so you got Melvin K! He is a great kid and he can play. Have fun! Well we had a 6'5" all conference and all area kid coming back who was getting D2 interest, plus two seniors who had played with each other since parochial school. One was just plain tough and a ball handler, the other was 6'2" and could hit the three or dunk depending on what was going on. We ended up 24-4, mentioned in state polls, and lost to Billy Taylor (now assistant at Iowa) and Mike Odemija who played at EIU in the sectional finals that year. There was a chemistry with this group that I can't describe and Mel had everything to do with making us really really good. But the transfer bug never worked out for us again. ;) jc
GV Dad

One thing I'm hearing from multiple sources that I wanted to pass on. The team is really jelling right now. All the transfers have been welcomed with open arms, and they are all putting in the work. Again, very early, 1 week of camp, and it's anyone's guess if this turns into wins. But it's a GREAT sign at this point of the season, especially with the large number of new faces in all the rooms.

Excited for this season to get started!!
4EverPurple&Gold

GV Dad wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:17 am One thing I'm hearing from multiple sources that I wanted to pass on. The team is really jelling right now. All the transfers have been welcomed with open arms, and they are all putting in the work. Again, very early, 1 week of camp, and it's anyone's guess if this turns into wins. But it's a GREAT sign at this point of the season, especially with the large number of new faces in all the rooms.

Excited for this season to get started!!
This is great to hear! You always worry sometimes with a lot of new faces recently a culture isn't strong or guys aren't close. Thanks for the insight.