hot COVID-19 takes from JD Gravina

Miscellaneous discussions. Things that don't have anything to do with Western, Leatherneck Athletics, college sports in general, etc.
covidiot

They say we need to protect our elderly community. Maybe it’s just me- but if I was an 80 year old, the LAST thing I would want is for kids not to get to go to school, play on playgrounds, or go to swimming pools just to protect me from a slightly higher risk of dying.

Just my opinion. And it has nothing to do with basketball. I want people to live their lives. People die everyday, unfortunately. Why not prohibit driving to avoid people of all ages dying in car accidents? Something much more dangerous than Covid-19. Life has risks.

I’m very sympathetic for people who lost a loved one. I KNOW they are different but what about people who lost a loved one to the Flu? Should we shut down our lives for that as well? And trust me, I have studied the research and statistics. I’m not just a “dumb basketball coach”.

I agree the Flu has a much lower death rate than Covid-19. But 6% is grossley overstated. As a former actuary I can tell you it’s much more complex than dividing the deaths by the overall positive tests. Unless we test literally everyone. Appreciate the debate! I’m moving on!
vatusay

I’m with JD.

Turn off the TV and seek out information/data/statistics/evidence. Find what resonates with you. Form your own opinion hearing all sides and seeing all evidence.

What countries didn’t quarantine? What has happened there?

The goal posts are being moved DAILY.

I refuse to accept any type of “new normal”

Since when is bill gates a doctor?

These are scary times, friends, and not because of the flu.

*Adjusts tin foil hat*
#ALLIN #YOLO
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I can't say I agree with him, but he's entitled to his opinion.

Regardless of what the actual numbers end up being, please do your part to stop the spread of this. Wear a mask when out in public, do the "social distancing" thing, wash your hands.

I already know one person who has died from this, another who has tested positive, and another who's father died from it just a couple of days ago. I don't want to have to count any of my family members or any of you among them when this is all said and done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Western_101

vatusay wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 4:08 pm I’m with JD.

Turn off the TV and seek out information/data/statistics/evidence. Find what resonates with you. Form your own opinion hearing all sides and seeing all evidence.
imuno
What countries didn’t quarantine? What has happened there?

The goal posts are being moved DAILY.

I refuse to accept any type of “new normal”

Since when is bill gates a doctor?

These are scary times, friends, and not because of the flu.

*Adjusts tin foil hat*

Vatusay You "refuse to accept any type of "new normal"?

Well go on refusing. Our new normal changed after September 11th 2001. Our new normal is changing again like it or not.

There are some nice Amish communities in Aurthur and Arcola IL for those that hate rock 'n' roll, Television and changing fashions. I don't know if they are accepting new members. Internet was not my normal in college, guess it is my "new normal" now.

Now march out into the street the eldest or most imuno compromised member of your extended family and shoot that person in the head.

No big deal right? We all die, might as well get on with it.
wiu712

People in their 80's and 90's lived through the Great Depression and through the personal sacrifice & rationing during WW2.

Many of today's Americans are ready to throw in the towel after just 2 months.
vatusay

Lol, my favorite. “if you don’t wear a mask you are personally murdering the elderly” claim. We both know that statement is absolutely absurd. I treat it just like I always have but with more caution. If myself, spouse, or children are sick I stay away from my grandparents. Or anyone else that is more susceptible to illnesses. Always have. Always will.

To be clear, I don’t think the virus is fake. I believe the pandemic is manufactured for motives (mostly non-political). Imagine if every year flu deaths and positive cases were reported like this. Every test. Every confirmed case. Every single death. Every single day. It would be chaos. I know, there’s a vaccine. Hospitals are being paid to list cause of death as covid. The feds sent a 1000 bed hospital ship to help. Had less than 200 patients. They spent $300+ million on temporary hospitals. Virtually all of them treated zero, yes zero patients. They are now being demolished. There is information available other than what is on television “programming”, albeit heavily censored on any main “news source”.

I go to work in the morning (no I’m not whining about being “essential” or how I want more money. I’m fairly paid and I’m paid to do a job), get home, wash my hands, and stay home. Go to store only when needed as I am the only one in my household currently that is able to. I stop at the gas station every morning for coffee. Put the dumb mask on, wait, are we supposed to wear them or not this week? I kid. I’m trying to do my part to get through this. But my jaw is clenched and my mind racing the entire time. I’m not a doctor, clearly, but the numbers and the reaction to said numbers just don’t add up to me. The curve is flattened. Now we need a vaccine before opening up what’s left of this country? The goalposts keep getting moved.

I 100% agree with you about September 11th, granted, probably for entirely different reasons. Ever heard of tower 7? Let’s not go down that rabbit hole. There could be multiple arguments made that the “new normal” started in Dallas back in 1963. It honestly scares me what the “new normal” will be after this. No, I’m not referring to wearing a sock on my face. Yes I am a “conspiracy theorist”. Why? I like to question everything. I truly believe in some and don’t believe in others. That is a probably a discussion for an entirely different forum with entirely different people lol.

I’m not here to get in a mean spirited argument, ever. I’m on here for discussion and because I love Macomb, WIU, and their athletic programs. I love to see people’s different views on various subjects and I’m always open to evolving my thoughts. But I will also try to evolve others.

Opinions are like.... Well we all know the rest....

Stay safe out there.

Epstein didn’t kill himself.
#ALLIN #YOLO
Western_101

Good post. Huh I guess you're not Wacko (am I the only one on this board crazy.....well there is that Bat fella...)

Epstein was murdered, yes. How far did his tentacles reach? we will never know. 8-)

Were the twin towers detonated intentionally with U.S. involvement? There is mounting theories about that. I just can't won't let my mind go there. :shock:

Yup COVID-19 is going to leave a long lasting wake of financial distress and ruin for some. Also I never knew watching/having sports around was the glue that was keeping my sanity together if only by a thread.

One parting thought Vatusay you have to get yourself a Keurig it brews a cup in one minute. :D
vatusay

Lol, I never denied being a little wacko. I think we are all sometimes it’s just who hides it better lol.

Thank you for the advice 101. We have a keurig, but I’m a full pot on a timer kind of guy. ;)
#ALLIN #YOLO