Schools dropping sports

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Western_101 wrote:
sealhall74 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:08 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:39 pm It's a rough time to be in higher-ed in Lincoln, IL: Lincoln College (NAIA in Lincoln, IL) is closing entirely at the end of this school year: https://lincolncollege.edu/
Also, Lincoln Christian University (also NAIA in Lincoln, IL) has announced they will be doing a major restructuring, significantly cutting back on the in-person/on-campus classes and events at their campus, including dropping all varsity athletics: https://www.lcuredlions.com/article/847

There are lots of Lincolns aorund the country.  I wonder how many times a kid arrived in this country headed for Lincoln College (or University) and mistakenly ended up on the wrong campus.  Excellent location, middle of the state, just off I-55.  Something can surely fill the void.

What is filling the void in Carthage?  There is no back fill for this.  Kids aren't drawn in like years past to a tier two public, let alone a dicey menagerie of used to be/want to be colleges that cost too G*d D*mn much money!    
Yup, nobody is going to come in and replace them. A lot of the smaller private schools in small communities are really struggling right now. I think the private schools in cities are mostly doing ok, but that’s the trend…more urban, less rural. It’s a big part of why SIU-E passed up SIU-C in enrollment a few years ago, when a few decades ago that was almost unimaginable.

I think some of those kids will be split amongst nearby schools: Illinois, ISU, UIS, Milliken, Bradley, Illinois Wesleyan. But you probably aren’t going to see anyone moving in there, in terms of higher-ed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:34 am
Western_101 wrote:
sealhall74 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:08 pm

There are lots of Lincolns aorund the country.  I wonder how many times a kid arrived in this country headed for Lincoln College (or University) and mistakenly ended up on the wrong campus.  Excellent location, middle of the state, just off I-55.  Something can surely fill the void.

What is filling the void in Carthage?  There is no back fill for this.  Kids aren't drawn in like years past to a tier two public, let alone a dicey menagerie of used to be/want to be colleges that cost too G*d D*mn much money!    
Yup, nobody is going to come in and replace them. A lot of the smaller private schools in small communities are really struggling right now. I think the private schools in cities are mostly doing ok, but that’s the trend…more urban, less rural. It’s a big part of why SIU-E passed up SIU-C in enrollment a few years ago, when a few decades ago that was almost unimaginable.

I think some of those kids will be split amongst nearby schools: Illinois, ISU, UIS, Milliken, Bradley, Illinois Wesleyan. But you probably aren’t going to see anyone moving in there, in terms of higher-ed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, any educational future would be very tricky.  Branch campus devoted to traditional trade school programs, maybe.  Day school for the nearby prison population?  If the facilities are in good shape, someone will jump in and use them.

Somone please explain to me why we have to go to a private school like the Midwest Technical Institute here in the QC to learn to be HVAC repairman. Sure, a lot of JUCOs offer it, but no big publics that I know of.  

Maybe its the perfect spot to teach kids how to build better roads.

I want to be front and center when the Lincoln "Tradesmen" compete in their first hoops game.   :lol:

Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

The reverse of the point of this thread...Quincy University is adding both men's and women's wrestling next year:

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Not sure if it was mentioned before, but Lindenwood is cutting nine of their sports: https://www.extrapointsmb.com/p/lindenw ... any-sports
They did have a HUGE athletics department before and this brings them closer in line with the rest of the OVC, but it's still significant.