Spring Football Week 4 - around the region

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
wiu712

Attendance at Tennessee State = 1,855.
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I wonder if "health and safety of players" really means "we're 1-3 so far and likely to go 1-3 or 0-4 the rest of the season".
Like, they're not making the playoffs this year, so they've decided to scrap it, maybe have a bit of a spring practice and focus on the fall.

Also...I wonder if our coaching staff will end up deciding the same thing in the near future, or if they'll keep going, hoping to pull out one win against maybe USD or YSU or something.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:00 pm I wonder if "health and safety of players" really means "we're 1-3 so far and likely to go 1-3 or 0-4 the rest of the season".
Like, they're not making the playoffs this year, so they've decided to scrap it, maybe have a bit of a spring practice and focus on the fall.
Possibly I know the announcer on Saturday was talking about how banged up there Dline was. I'm surprised more teams haven't dropped out after starting slow.
sealhall74

A coach could approach the rest of the spring as a simply an opportunity to play a lot of younger kids who would probably not see much action for a year or two. That might reap some benefits down the road while keeping the 2-deep guys in good shape for fall season. Spack probably looked at the remaining schedule and saw all games were against potentially playoff bound teams so playing with less than his best would not look good to other conference coaches. We are in a much better position to play younger kids with our remaning schedule.
Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:13 am A coach could approach the rest of the spring as a simply an opportunity to play a lot of younger kids who would probably not see much action for a year or two. That might reap some benefits down the road while keeping the 2-deep guys in good shape for fall season. Spack probably looked at the remaining schedule and saw all games were against potentially playoff bound teams so playing with less than his best would not look good to other conference coaches. We are in a much better position to play younger kids with our remaning schedule.
At this point, I think most of us have written off this "season" so why not give the youngsters some real gameday experience? It would most likely bode well for the future given the difference in the jump to D1 sports - finding out the need for strength and conditioning is really something only playing will emphasize.