Western Spring Sports

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
Neckfansince71

It seems to me that we are alot more competitive in softball and baseball then we have been in the past. We have been blown out a couple of times but have also blown people away that you would not have ever expected in the past. Taking a series from SoDkst. in baseball was not something that we are use to expecting along with a blitz of runs split with NDst. Both teams refuse to roll over and quit. I just like the vibe with these two head coaches. Track and Field is beginning to make some noise individually as well.

Don't know what to think of football. I am really getting tired of the Necks "shooting" themselves in the foot each game. Doubt penalties have taken at least 3 scores away and who knows what the outcome would have been with touchdowns scored instead of lost through penalty. I am glad we are playing ball. ISUBlue is really taking a risk not playing at all. I was also a bit surprised that ISURed "pulled the plug" on this spring season. Guess that gave us all some insight into what is taking place on the field and how serious people are taking this. Indiana State it seems is going to be either "well rested or not truly invested" when the fall comes. ;) jc
wiu712

Women's Soccer finished their season with a 2-13-1 record. All of the games were conference games this year.

Western finished the Summit League season in last place.

Last year, Women's Soccer finished with a 6-11-1 overall record and 2-6 in the Summit League. Western finished that season in 8th place (out of 9).
wiu712

Men's Soccer finished their season with a 2-10-1 overall record (2-7-1 in the Summit League).

Men's Soccer finished in 5th place (out of 6) in the Summit League.

Women's Tennis finished their season with a 1-10 overall record (0-5 in the Summit League).

Women's Tennis finished in last place in the Summit League.
wiu712

Western Softball has ended its season with a 16-29 overall record and a 6-14 record in the Summit League.

Western Softball finished in last place in the Summit League.
wiu712

Western Baseball ended its season today with an 11-29 overall record and a 7-20 record in the Summit League.

Western Baseball finished in last place in the Summit League.
sealhall74

We won 3 of the first 4 MidCon Conference Commissioner's Cups awarded in the late 1990s. I could say we have not cracked the top 5 in that category for the last decade but I wont go there. Let;s just say the new century has not been kind to us and leave it at that. :lol:
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Football and Men's Soccer were the most successful of the spring team sports.

Football finished in 9th place (out of 10) in the MVFC.

Volleyball, Women's Soccer, Women's Tennis, Baseball, and Softball all finished in last place in the Summit League.
meganeck

wiu712 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:53 pm Football and Men's Soccer were the most successful of the spring team sports.

Football finished in 9th place (out of 10) in the MVFC.

Volleyball, Women's Soccer, Women's Tennis, Baseball, and Softball all finished in last place in the Summit League.
I'm not too worried about Baseball and Softball, I think they have good head coaches. just hope they can keep them around. I think having one coach for soccer has hurt both programs. Unfortunately I think Volleyball and Tennis are lost causes. Who knows about Football.

The sad thing in this conference I don't see us being able to compete with the Dakota schools in most sports. I might be wrong but it seems like South Dakota St is turning into a power in most sports the conference offers. I am interested to see how the new school in Minnesota does.
Neckfansince71

I really think there was some really good things going on for baseball and softball besides the CovidCapers that kept showing up, sometime our bad and some times our opponent. Both sports had to sit out at very very un-opportune moments which at the end contributed to no Summit tournaments for either. But I watched as many games as I could and once again, both teams were competing well. There once also a whole lot of "youth" walking around in both dugouts. I just think both teams are pointed in the right direction but both need pitching. Track and Field looks like there is improvement also. Just my opinion. jc
sealhall74

Compare our Athletic Dept Mission/vision statements with that of the Bison:

Western Illinois Athletics Department Mission Statement:
The mission of WIU Athletics, as an integral component of the University's mission, is to provide an outstanding intercollegiate athletics experience to an academically successful and diverse NCAA Division I student-athlete population.

We apparently are without a vision statement, or at least I could not find it.

NDSU Mission Statement:
To build together a leadership position in NCAA Division I that centers on integrity, success, tradition and a commitment to exceeding the expectations of our student-athletes, coaches, staff and the greater NDSU community.

NDSU Vision Statement:
To continue the Championship Tradition of Bison Athletics

So we expect our student-athletes to show up and "have a good time" and the Bison demand quite a bit more from them as well as eveyone associated with the program.

I remember Jack Thomas saying numerous times that the goal was to "win championships". He got that right.
Embrace the pace of the race.