Fire Coach Elliott

rocki

GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:30 am I'm not sure many Coaches would have been "successful" in the environment that Jared had to deal with for the last 4 years.  Has he taken care of everything within his control, most likely not.  But blaming all the struggles on Jared is very unfair.  If your Boss and your Boss's boss were completely incompetent and could also not care less about your work how successful would you guys be?  But the Head Coach is always the easiest person to blame, I understand that.  

For any Coach, the next one or the current one, to be successful at WIU they will need the following.

1) Support from the Administration.  
2) A new AD that actually cares about the job.  
3) Commitment from the AD and Alumni to upgrade facilities.  Football can be a huge revenue source for your school if you invest in it.
4) A schedule that allows for some success (see item 2 above).  No MVFC team should be in the top 10 in strength of schedule, much less the top.  The Conf schedule is tough enough.  
5) Moving to the OVC will not solve the problem.  The main reason kids come to WIU is to play in the Valley.  It's really the only non personal reason to play here.  

Since the AD is a lingering reminder of the last (in my opinion, really bad) administration; what can alumni do to get the Administration to start paying attention to football? I'm not one who has tons of $$$$ to donate, but would do what I could to bring Leatherneck football back to LEATHERNECK FOOTBALL! 

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:30 am I'm not sure many Coaches would have been "successful" in the environment that Jared had to deal with for the last 4 years.  Has he taken care of everything within his control, most likely not.  But blaming all the struggles on Jared is very unfair.  If your Boss and your Boss's boss were completely incompetent and could also not care less about your work how successful would you guys be?  But the Head Coach is always the easiest person to blame, I understand that.  

For any Coach, the next one or the current one, to be successful at WIU they will need the following.

3) Commitment from the AD and Alumni to upgrade facilities.  Football can be a huge revenue source for your school if you invest in it.
4) A schedule that allows for some success (see item 2 above).  No MVFC team should be in the top 10 in strength of schedule, much less the top.  The Conf schedule is tough enough.  
5) Moving to the OVC will not solve the problem.  The main reason kids come to WIU is to play in the Valley.  It's really the only non personal reason to play here. 

I agree with all of this. It's entirely possible (likely, even?) that our AD is also "out of her depth" as well. I'm not going to claim I know what all goes on behind the scenes in an athletics department, but it does not seem like the football program has had much in the way of support. I don't blame Coach Elliott for not making us the next NDSU...that was never going to happen. I do, however, feel like a decent FCS-level coach would have been able to get at least a few more wins over the course of the last few years.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Western_101

excellent post.

Western_101

The schedule this year was such that a top 10 team would not have a wining record.  

I actually think aside from getting an effective O-line Western has had talent, oh yeah, our secondary gets smoked a lot too.  we were/are void in the running back capacity, Our O line can't push creases for 165 pound dudes because well they can't and cause you ain't a 215 pound back you can't take the hit and get two more yards. Thus our game became one dimensional. I agree with not running, unproductive/counterproductive trying to waste a down with lesser linemen and lesser backs. God bless Sampson, if it wern't for his sense of timing (and I mean not a good O-line) and his ability to roll out and make QUICK decisions Western would have Zero wins. 

That being said, Elliott is out. Also how on God's Earth did the equivalent of my wife's friend become Atheletic Director of a D-I program.  Oh, yeah, that was the gift that keeps on giving from Jack.

Supernaught is qualified to be top dog in D-I in zero algorithms or past performance or even Hey I used to be a star. She was/is as qualified as my wife. My wife knows more about the sports than Danielle save for volleyball. 

GV I get this was an impossible season but I don't think it's a case of circumstance (which it totally can be argued) as much as sometimes there are better positions that people can dedicate their expertise, There was not a way in my estimation for Elliott to have a winning season this year.  Then again he was signed to a 3 year deal.  

I  have never met Coach Elliott this forum is a way for a bunch of mostly "not in the know folks to vent/boast"  From just a regular guy, we do not have the right A.D. in place, I also we don't have the right HEAD coach in place.  This ain't a learn on the job league.

Suprenant aint gonna be the one to right the ship.  

Western_101

You know what would be interesting is if Suprenant got the Axe, and Elliott stayed. I'm not close to the program, has he in earnest been trying to do what Charlie didn't do? and recruit good talent to Western.  Maybe we need to be rid of Rocco.

One thing is for sure there better God Damn be a serious look at what has transpired the last four seasons. Despite my ridiculous posts I am a man of reason,  I don't pretend Western is a recruits first choice.  You know what In my whole time on the board wtf did VanAlstine do other than LIE about football attendance?  I've jumped Hellen's ass but wtf did VanAlstine do? 

rocki

Western_101 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:48 pm You know what would be interesting is if Suprenant got the Axe, and Elliott stayed. I'm not close to the program, has he in earnest been trying to do what Charlie didn't do? and recruit good talent to Western.  Maybe we need to be rid of Rocco.

One thing is for sure there better God Damn be a serious look at what has transpired the last four seasons. Despite my ridiculous posts I am a man of reason,  I don't pretend Western is a recruits first choice.  You know what In my whole time on the board wtf did VanAlstine do other than LIE about football attendance?  I've jumped Hellen's ass but wtf did VanAlstine do? 

He cost us a lot of money.......................

sealhall74

rocki wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:51 pm
Western_101 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:48 pm You know what would be interesting is if Suprenant got the Axe, and Elliott stayed. I'm not close to the program, has he in earnest been trying to do what Charlie didn't do? and recruit good talent to Western.  Maybe we need to be rid of Rocco.

... And moved on to smaller and less than better things, as did Tanney.  That is ultimately the measure of success for any perrson in life.  Did you do well enough in your last gig so that your current gig is a true step up.  Did Coach Fish move up from a HC FCS position to an assistant job at ASU?  No, but he probably played more golf.  Look where the NDSU ADs and coaches end up.  

Embrace the pace of the race.
Tere North

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:23 pm

... And moved on to smaller and less than better things, as did Tanney.  That is ultimately the measure of success for any perrson in life.  Did you do well enough in your last gig so that your current gig is a true step up.  Did Coach Fish move up from a HC FCS position to an assistant job at ASU?  No, but he probably played more golf.  Look where the NDSU ADs and coaches end up.  

Tanney's move was not the traditional step down. He needed to be closer to medical care for his wife. He's also an alum of the program he now oversees.

sealhall74

Tere wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:30 am

Tanney's move was not the traditional step down. He needed to be closer to medical care for his wife. He's also an alum of the program he now oversees.

I had forgotten about that.  Seems like forever ago.  So both he and Tommy Bell really fell into the category of "It's an OK job until the one I really want/need" comes along.

Embrace the pace of the race.
Tere North

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:48 pm
Tere wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:30 am

I had forgotten about that.  Seems like forever ago.  So both he and Tommy Bell really fell into the category of "It's an OK job until the one I really want/need" comes along.

No, Matt's wife's condition worsened. Had it not, he wouldn't have left.