Fire Coach Elliott

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:23 pm... And moved on to smaller and less than better things, as did Tanney.  That is ultimately the measure of success for any perrson in life.  Did you do well enough in your last gig so that your current gig is a true step up.  Did Coach Fish move up from a HC FCS position to an assistant job at ASU?  No, but he probably played more golf.  Look where the NDSU ADs and coaches end up. 

I don't blame Tanney or Fisher for moving to where they went to. Tere already mentioned Tanney's situation, but as for Fisher, he was getting paid something like double what he was getting paid here, to be in a much lower stress situation, in the Phoenix area. As opposed to coaching here, where he got screwed by the playoff committee (having to go play at Weber State, when we were pretty much the 2 best at-large teams in the playoffs), had comparatively zero institutional support, and had to deal with midwestern winters.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Western_101

What do folks here think about going back to the well, so to speak, with the D-II Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference?  We had success albeit brief with UMD's Coach Nielson.

This time Head Coach Jerry Olszewski out of Agustana S.D. might be a person of interest to lead our beleaguered 'Necks in these challenging times. 

https://goaugie.com/sports/football/ros ... ewski/2399

I like the idea/formula of going after a successful OC or DC from a successful Power 5. Worked well with Don Patterson, ISU's Brock Spack completely transformed Redbird football. Big problem with that route now is the assistants are making twice what we could afford to pay. I think our most realistic approach is to see who is hungry in the D-II ranks and want's a shot at the D-I level.  

Last edited by Western_101 on Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Western_101 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:07 am What do folks here think about going back to well, so to speak, with the D-II Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference?  We had success albeit brief with UMD's Coach Nielson.

This time Head Coach Jerry Olszewski out of Agustana S.D. might be a person of interest to lead our beleaguered 'Necks in these challenging times. 

I like the idea/formula of going after a successful OC or DC from a successful Power 5. Worked well with Don Patterson, ISU's Brock Spack completely transformed Redbird football. Big problem with that route now is the assistants are making twice what we could afford to pay. I think our most realistic approach is to see who is hungry in the D-II ranks and want's a shot at the D-I level. 

I have no problem with getting someone who's had success as a HC at the DII level. I suggested a few names from that arena about a month ago: https://www.leathernecknation.net/forum ... 975#p33975

I do agree with a lot of the other comments though...it's not all about the HC. If we want to have success at the DI level, then the program in general needs to be supported better by the athletics department and the university. All other things being equal and nothing changes on that front, I think a really good HC might be able to get us to around .500 most years (5-6 or 6-5). A mediocre coach might have us at 2-3 wins a year, and a bad coach might have us at 0-1 per year. If we want more than an outside chance at the playoffs in a really good year (like, maybe we put together a 7-4 season and just make it in) then something has to change beyond just the HC.

That's going to take money though. The state isn't going to give us more in the near term, the university can't really afford to be putting much more into the program when so many areas are already hurting, so it's going to have to come down to the AD and fundraising staff to get more and bigger donors. Is Surprenant the right person for that job?...idk, I haven't met her personally, although I've heard from a few other people that that aspect is not really her "forte". It seems like that front has struggled quite a bit the last few years, but is that on her?..on the state?...on the pandemic? I don't really know the answer, but something has to change.

Either we chose to fund football at a higher level than we are currently, or we need to re-evaluate the league and division that we're in (and no, I don't think going to the OVC in it's current state is the answer).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:44 am
Western_101 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:07 am What do folks here think about going back to well, so to speak, with the D-II Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference?  We had success albeit brief with UMD's Coach Nielson.

I have no problem with getting someone who's had success as a HC at the DII level. I suggested a few names from that arena about a month ago: https://www.leathernecknation.net/forum ... 975#p33975

I do agree with a lot of the other comments though...it's not all about the HC. If we want to have success at the DI level, then the program in general needs to be supported better by the athletics department and the university. All other things being equal and nothing changes on that front, I think a really good HC might be able to get us to around .500 most years (5-6 or 6-5). A mediocre coach might have us at 2-3 wins a year, and a bad coach might have us at 0-1 per year. If we want more than an outside chance at the playoffs in a really good year (like, maybe we put together a 7-4 season and just make it in) then something has to change beyond just the HC.

That's going to take money though. The state isn't going to give us more in the near term, the university can't really afford to be putting much more into the program when so many areas are already hurting, so it's going to have to come down to the AD and fundraising staff to get more and bigger donors. Is Surprenant the right person for that job?...idk, I haven't met her personally, although I've heard from a few other people that that aspect is not really her "forte". It seems like that front has struggled quite a bit the last few years, but is that on her?..on the state?...on the pandemic? I don't really know the answer, but something has to change.

Either we chose to fund football at a higher level than we are currently, or we need to re-evaluate the league and division that we're in (and no, I don't think going to the OVC in it's current state is the answer).

I agree with all of this.  So where is the best bang for the buck if you cant pay a high quality coach $300=400K to come and work for you?  I would dump a couple or three assistant coach positions and hire more true professionals from the strength and conditioning area.  Most coaches dont have the time to spend on it with recuruiting duties, etc. even if they are any good at it. Plus other programs, could derive some benefit.
Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

I realize this is water WAY over the bridge, but when Brad Bainter was canned, it started a lot of ugliness. He was very good at fundraising, and when Jack Thomas got rid of him, it cost more than the university would ever know to my way of seeing things.

WIU2DC

Fire Coach Elliot tonight….. start the HC search tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Western_101

rocki wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:02 pm

I realize this is water WAY over the bridge, but when Brad Bainter was canned, it started a lot of ugliness. He was very good at fundraising, and when Jack Thomas got rid of him, it cost more than the university would ever know to my way of seeing things.

What was Jack's "beef" with Brad about anyway?  
rocki

Western_101 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:22 pm
rocki wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:02 pm

What was Jack's "beef" with Brad about anyway?  

I don't know - but I do know that there were people who refused to kowtow to Jack's way of doing things that got canned. I would guess it was along those lines.

vatusay

The deed is done. 
#ALLIN #YOLO
WIU2DC

vatusay wrote:The deed is done. 
He got fired?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk