Athletics Dept Staff

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
Western_101

Is the current Athletic Director part of the problem with low morale or maybe a vote of no confidence. 

I don't know. However, a person from the outside looking in certainly must wonder.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Just found out that Holly Van Vlymen (Senior Woman Administrator/Assistant Athletic Director for Academics and Student-Athlete Development) is leaving the athletics department to take another position elsewhere on campus. I have no idea if it has anything to do with a the overall "feel" of the athletics department currently, or if it was just a matter of the right job opening up at the right time for her.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Mark Scherer has been named Assistant Athletic Director of Development: http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php ... e_id=18256
Looks like he's got a long history with athletics (basketball mostly) in the region and probably has a ton of connections, which he'll need in that role.

I also saw this: "Scherer has also served as the director of development at Illinois State University..."
I'm going to have to dig around and find out when he was there. 2013 is when the new east side of Hancock Stadium was officially opened...just fyi. I wonder if he had anything to do with fundraising for that process 🤔
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:54 pm Mark Scherer has been named Assistant Athletic Director of Development: http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php ... e_id=18256
Looks like he's got a long history with athletics (basketball mostly) in the region and probably has a ton of connections, which he'll need in that role.

I also saw this: "Scherer has also served as the director of development at Illinois State University..."
I'm going to have to dig around and find out when he was there. 2013 is when the new east side of Hancock Stadium was officially opened...just fyi. I wonder if he had anything to do with fundraising for that process 🤔

He's also an alum and worked in WIU athletics so he knows what he's getting into.

wiu712

Mark Scherer was the Director of Development at Illinois State University for only 5 months:  December 2016 to April 2017.
meganeck

Scott Holland who was with the local newspaper is joining WIU as Assitant AD for Athletic Communications. Seems like a great hire, he was a tireless worker for the newspaper.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Danielle Surprenant has resigned: http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php ... e_id=18356

An interesting question now is...we have someone on staff at WIU who is currently in the interview process for a position that is essentially at the same level as AD, but who has a significant amount of experience at the Assistant AD/AD level in DI athletics. If you don't know already, go check out Paul Bubb's CV: http://wiu.edu/employment/vpaar/
So...does he switch things to try for the AD position...or is he happy being out of athletics?
wiu51

If Jack wasn’t trying to stick it to WIU before he left Paul would have been named AD then. From people on the selection committee they all wanted him to be hired. 
sealhall74

My 2 cents.  Fresh blood is needed.  National Search.
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherneckcountry

I hope whoever they hire does a better of getting fans involved in games that's been a sore spot since Kelsey left 6 or 7 yrs ago.