T&F/Cross Country

Neckfansince71

I am in total agreement with Tere's comments regarding support.  Coach Brokaw knows what he is doing and the results at both Drake and Simpson are indications of that.  The total number of scholarships for an NCAA D1 mens team is 12.60.  The number for a women's D1 team is 18.  Does anyone know just how close we are to this full scholie number?  jc 

Tere North

4EverPurple&Gold wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:48 pm
Tere wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 4:51 am Coach Brokaw continues to do great things with Track and Field.

Podium Finishers from the Drake Relays
  • Zion Caruthers, Lucas Burmeister, Richard Brown, and Lucas Hofer took 1st place in the Sprint Medley Relay, with a time of 3:23.36.
  • Briza Dure, Aliyah Adams, Nakeita Kessling, and Zwandi Harrison too 2nd place in the 4 x 400 Relay, with a time of 3:51.54.
It's a young and growing team that saw multiple personal bests continue, despite being underfunded in terms of scholarship potential.

Let's get this team fully funded. That still ony 30 scholarships, but would be an 50% improvement over where they are now.

This is awesome!! 

I looked on the athletics website and there is no coverage of this! I feel bad for the kids. Seems like only program that is doing well

Yep, but we have news of softball and baseball losing, posted on Sunday the 30th, so clearly someone was at work, just not caring about T&F.

Tere North

Neckfansince71 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:00 pm I am in total agreement with Tere's comments regarding support.  Coach Brokaw knows what he is doing and the results at both Drake and Simpson are indications of that.  The total number of scholarships for an NCAA D1 mens team is 12.60.  The number for a women's D1 team is 18.  Does anyone know just how close we are to this full scholie number?  jc 

If I recall correctly from what Coach said, we currely have 8 women's and 4 men's scholarships splite across the team of about 50. Next year we should have a team of about 70.
sealhall74

Tere wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 4:51 am
Neckfansince71 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:00 pm I am in total agreement with Tere's comments regarding support.  Coach Brokaw knows what he is doing and the results at both Drake and Simpson are indications of that.  The total number of scholarships for an NCAA D1 mens team is 12.60.  The number for a women's D1 team is 18.  Does anyone know just how close we are to this full scholie number?  jc 

If I recall correctly from what Coach said, we currely have 8 women's and 4 men's scholarships splite across the team of about 50. Next year we should have a team of about 70.

In Track & Field, It's really an Operations Research challenge to figure out how to allocate your scholarships to give you the most bang for the buck.  That said, it is probably the quality of your walk-ons that actually win conference championships by their striving to win a scholarship and, at the same time, pushing those who have one to excel.  Do we even have a walk-on tryouts?  Lot of people love to run, go for those PRs, burn off some excess stress, etc.

Embrace the pace of the race.
4EverPurple&Gold

Tere wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 4:51 am Coach Brokaw continues to do great things with Track and Field.

Podium Finishers from the Drake Relays
  • Zion Caruthers, Lucas Burmeister, Richard Brown, and Lucas Hofer took 1st place in the Sprint Medley Relay, with a time of 3:23.36.
  • Briza Dure, Aliyah Adams, Nakeita Kessling, and Zwandi Harrison too 2nd place in the 4 x 400 Relay, with a time of 3:51.54.
It's a young and growing team that saw multiple personal bests continue, despite being underfunded in terms of scholarship potential.

Let's get this team fully funded. That still ony 30 scholarships, but would be an 50% improvement over where they are now.

This is awesome!! 

I looked on the athletics website and there is no coverage of this! I feel bad for the kids. Seems like only program that is doing well

Yep, but we have news of softball and baseball losing, posted on Sunday the 30th, so clearly someone was at work, just not caring about T&F.

Exaclty! I noticed that too.

I think our PR and Marketing departments need some fixing... 

sealhall74

4EverPurple&Gold wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:59 am

This is awesome!! 

Exaclty! I noticed that too.

I think our PR and Marketing departments need some fixing... 

I believe most of these write ups are auto-generated through Artificial Intelligence (AI) technology as it is pretty easy to parse a box score and come up with the corresponding textual description of how the game transpired.  But something like track and field event scoring probably no consistent reporting format so some human intervention will definitely be required for now.  I would bet someone is working on the parser as I write this.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Leathernecks have Breakthrough Performances at the 113th Drake Relays.
https://goleathernecks.com/news/2023/5/ ... elays.aspx

4EverPurple&Gold

wiu712 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:02 pm Leathernecks have Breakthrough Performances at the 113th Drake Relays.
https://goleathernecks.com/news/2023/5/ ... elays.aspx

I swear our athletic department reads these messages and then responds lol 
meganeck

I noticed today that the T&F/Cross Country has a fundraiser trying to raise $10,000 to help with travel expenses, etc. They are wanting to try to send some athletes to some of the bigger track meets it sounds like. Coach Brokaw has really raised the track profile imo, he has done some good stuff in the short time he has been here. I know with the holidays money is tight but if anyone is looking for a cause to donate to before the end of the year, something to look at and consider. i am not connected to the track program, just really like what I have seen from them, so I thought I would mention it.
Tere North

meganeck wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:10 pm I noticed today that the T&F/Cross Country has a fundraiser trying to raise $10,000 to help with travel expenses, etc. They are wanting to try to send some athletes to some of the bigger track meets it sounds like. Coach Brokaw has really raised the track profile imo, he has done some good stuff in the short time he has been here. I know with the holidays money is tight but if anyone is looking for a cause to donate to before the end of the year, something to look at and consider. i am not connected to the track program, just really like what I have seen from them, so I thought I would mention it.
Here' the link to the FB post where you can contribute. I did!!

https://fb.watch/oMiQSz4QVc/