Fall 2021 - Week 3 - vs Eastern Washington

WIU2DC

We wasted Houston’s talents with Elliot as HC. Dude is an absolute stud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sealhall74

Craziest stat in the game was Red Zone scores.  EWU was only there TWICE and converted both times.  I think they might have scored more on plays from the other Red Zone.  We were 6 for 6 there.  

I guess the $64K question boils down to just how much our remarkable comeback had to do with them taking their foot off the gas and/or pulling their starters.  It was a really good game to watch, especially since the wife and I had seats at 48 yd line and most of the game had some shade from the pressbox.  The band was really good as usual.  With 10 minutes left in half they filed out from the east side stands to get ready for half-time performance.  That 2nd quarter seemed to last forever with the way EWU was scoring and the long media timeouts between scores.  I think the band had to be waiting on the track for a good 45 minutes while all that was going on.  Take away that quarter and we probably win the game.  The crowd that remained in the 2nd half was really good and loud in that 4th quarter.  Would love to see a game when we start the game with that level of enthusiasm and as usual, a lot of stragglers never got into their seats until the 2nd quarter.  But 3 hours and 51 minutes is too damn long for a college football game that never goes overtime.

The Pre-game meal was at Chubbys.  Chicks looked a bit too crowded.  Wife had her first Pony and I went with a good ole meat loaf sandwich.  Both were good.

Bring on the 'Guins.  We got the guns on offense for sure.  The D remains questionable.

Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:Craziest stat in the game was Red Zone scores.  EWU was only there TWICE and converted both times.  I think they might have scored more on plays from the other Red Zone.  We were 6 for 6 there.  

I guess the $64K question boils down to just how much our remarkable comeback had to do with them taking their foot off the gas and/or pulling their starters.  It was a really good game to watch, especially since the wife and I had seats at 48 yd line and most of the game had some shade from the pressbox.  The band was really good as usual.  With 10 minutes left in half they filed out from the east side stands to get ready for half-time performance.  That 2nd quarter seemed to last forever with the way EWU was scoring and the long media timeouts between scores.  I think the band had to be waiting on the track for a good 45 minutes while all that was going on.  Take away that quarter and we probably win the game.  The crowd that remained in the 2nd half was really good and loud in that 4th quarter.  Would love to see a game when we start the game with that level of enthusiasm and as usual, a lot of stragglers never got into their seats until the 2nd quarter.  But 3 hours and 51 minutes is too damn long for a college football game that never goes overtime.

The Pre-game meal was at Chubbys.  Chicks looked a bit too crowded.  Wife had her first Pony and I went with a good ole meat loaf sandwich.  Both were good.

Bring on the 'Guins.  We got the guns on offense for sure.  The D remains questionable.

Seal, were you wearing your purple camo hat today? I think I saw you over by the south concession stand at one point.

I noticed that the EWU QB Barriere limped off the field at one point and needed some stretches done on the sideline for a while (probably leg cramp). While he was out, that was when the majority of our comeback happened. It also seemed like the heat and being on the field a lot was getting to their defense in the second half. They just looked gassed for a good chunk of it.

I’d say without their star QB, we probably would have doubled them up.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Qdoba, Starbucks, and the Bookstore were open Saturday.

Western had 468 passing yards and 175 rushing yards.

Attendance at Hanson Field = 5,385

sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:58 pm
sealhall74 wrote:Craziest stat in the game was Red Zone scores.  EWU was only there TWICE and converted both times.  I think they might have scored more on plays from the other Red Zone.  We were 6 for 6 there.  

Seal, were you wearing your purple camo hat today? I think I saw you over by the south concession stand at one point.

I noticed that the EWU QB Barriere limped off the field at one point and needed some stretches done on the sideline for a while (probably leg cramp). While he was out, that was when the majority of our comeback happened. It also seemed like the heat and being on the field a lot was getting to their defense in the second half. They just looked gassed for a good chunk of it.

I’d say without their star QB, we probably would have doubled them up.

Yep, that was me.  When it gets a little cooler, I might come with full camo and combat boots.  lol
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote:Qdoba, Starbucks, and the Bookstore were open Saturday.

Western had 468 passing yards and 175 rushing yards.

Attendance at Hanson Field = 5,385

That’s good to hear that the restaurants were open.

The attendance listed is the most we’ve had since the home opener in 2017.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

The ROTC was not at the game.  So no cannon.
sealhall74

A couple of those very long media timeouts could have used a "Sweet Caroline" song or something similar to get the crowd going.
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:12 pm A couple of those very long media timeouts could have used a "Sweet Caroline" song or something similar to get the crowd going.

Excellent idea !

Leatherneck Rally Comes Up Short.
From the McDonough County Voice:
https://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/story/sp ... 406785002/ 

Neckfansince71

Sprinkle in a little "Jump" by Van Halen and you got yourself a game day "sound track!"  jc;)