FCS Conference Shuffling

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

More rumors of Grand Valley State moving up to DI in the OVC:

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Not FCS, since they don't have football, but just going to throw this in here since it applies to conferences that are relevant to us:

Looked into things a bit more and here's what's going on with the MVC:
On 12/19, UT-Arlington, Murray State, UIC, Kansas City, and Omaha are making presentations to the MVC leadership.
UT-Arlington, Murray State, and UIC are all very likely going to be accepted. KC and Omaha are under consideration for a 14th team.

The private schools are pushing for teams in larger markets to improve recruiting, and they mostly prefer schools without football (of which all of the previously mentioned except Murray State are).
Murray State isn't in a large market, but is just too good at basketball to leave on the table. They have a lot of fan support and would fit the profile of a more "traditional public" MVC team.
Arlington (DFW area), Chicago, Kansas City, and Omaha are all in fairly large metro areas.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:10 am Not FCS, since they don't have football, but just going to throw this in here since it applies to conferences that are relevant to us:

Looked into things a bit more and here's what's going on with the MVC:
On 12/19, UT-Arlington, Murray State, UIC, Kansas City, and Omaha are making presentations to the MVC leadership.
UT-Arlington, Murray State, and UIC are all very likely going to be accepted. KC and Omaha are under consideration for a 14th team.

The private schools are pushing for teams in larger markets to improve recruiting, and they mostly prefer schools without football (of which all of the previously mentioned except Murray State are).
Murray State isn't in a large market, but is just too good at basketball to leave on the table. They have a lot of fan support and would fit the profile of a more "traditional public" MVC team.
Arlington (DFW area), Chicago, Kansas City, and Omaha are all in fairly large metro areas.

I have been to hoops game at UT-Arlington.  Probably he best mid-major venue I have been to.  Very modern yet still intimate and extremely loud atmosphere.  College coaches are in love with venues that are close to airports and this is one.  I read where Bob Huggins (WVU) now charters to every away game.  He said flying commercially to all the Big 12 locations was impossible - too much missed school work for his kids.   I would not be surprised amidst all of the conference shakeups that new by-laws are now put in to place mandating that all member schools be within "X" miles from an airport.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x ... ip6BAg6EAM

Embrace the pace of the race.
meganeck

If we do stay in the Summit League, who would be a realistic addition to the Summit. I know they are terrible in pretty much every sport, but what would people think of adding Chicago St. Obviously I would like to see Eastern Ill or SIUE added but I doubt that would happen. Otherwise maybe some schools looking to move up like St Thomas.
sealhall74

meganeck wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:31 pm If we do stay in the Summit League, who would be a realistic addition to the Summit. I know they are terrible in pretty much every sport, but what would people think of adding Chicago St. Obviously I would like to see Eastern Ill or SIUE added but I doubt that would happen. Otherwise maybe some schools looking to move up like St Thomas.

St Thomas already in Summit.  I am thinking about driving up there for New Years day men's matchup.  i would be OK with Chicago St.  Last time we won the Commish Cup, it was easier with them in.  lol

vatusay

I don’t know about you guys but seeing teams like UMKC and Omaha get considered for the MVC just because of their market makes me sick. Programs haven’t done anything. At least offer NDSU, SDSU, or Oral. 
#ALLIN #YOLO
sealhall74

vatusay wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:23 pm I don’t know about you guys but seeing teams like UMKC and Omaha get considered for the MVC just because of their market makes me sick. Programs haven’t done anything. At least offer NDSU, SDSU, or Oral. 

Yep, they bring nothing to table except a pretty good venue or two for conference tournaments. Maybe that is worth a lot in someones eyes, not mine.

Western_101

meganeck wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:31 pm If we do stay in the Summit League, who would be a realistic addition to the Summit. I know they are terrible in pretty much every sport, but what would people think of adding Chicago St. Obviously I would like to see Eastern Ill or SIUE added but I doubt that would happen. Otherwise maybe some schools looking to move up like St Thomas.

I wouldn't want to be associated with Chicago State. 

Also, with the OVC disintegrating Summit is a much better league, I could see SIUE and EIU having interest in joining the Summit. The days of WIU going to  OVC are over, the table has been flipped some OVC's are/will be very interested in gaining membership to the Summit IMO.

meganeck

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:51 pm

St Thomas already in Summit.  I am thinking about driving up there for New Years day men's matchup.  i would be OK with Chicago St.  Last time we won the Commish Cup, it was easier with them in.  lol

I guess I didn't phrase that right, I meant another school that is looking to move up, like St. Thomas did moving to the Summit League