Fall 2021 - Week 5 - vs Southern Illinois (Homecoming)

sealhall74

Loved the effort on the field.  Disappointed with the crowd.  Not the numbers but it seemed a lot of people left at half and never came back.  They missed a good show even in defeat.

And no, I don't like plays which stretch the field when you need only a couple of yards to paydirt.  90 degrees of attack freedom, split 45 degrees both sides.  It's basic Geometry coming from a math major.

Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU2DC

letsgonecks wrote:Was yelling go for 2 and yelling when it wasn't even close.  Watched it again and 6 made a great read and play. 

If Connor actually fakes the give and puts it in Ludo's belly, 6 continues to crash down another step or 2 and wouldn't make the play.  Houston likely doesn't have contact until close to the goal line.

Little things and execution are what puts teams at the top. Not just this play, but SIU's first 2 drives getting points, when we should have made stops and forced FGs or them to go for it on 4th.

Really good things by this team, love these guys and the fact they never give up, but moral victories don't count in the standings or when deciding to keep a coach.
I’m crushed for the kids still today and I can’t imagine how they feel. I do agree, that Coach Elliot and the team are getting better every week, however the athletic department should judge on the win lose column. Moral victories are great, but outright victories are better. We are the best 1-4 team in the FCS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote: ↑Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:12 pm:
A couple of those very long media timeouts could have used a "Sweet Caroline" song or something similar to get the crowd going.

I would add the John Denver song "Country Roads" to that sing-along list.

The ROTC and their cannon were back at the game on Saturday.

sealhall74

wiu712 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:55 am sealhall74 wrote: ↑Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:12 pm:
A couple of those very long media timeouts could have used a "Sweet Caroline" song or something similar to get the crowd going.

I would add the John Denver song "Country Roads" to that sing-along list.

The ROTC and their cannon were back at the game on Saturday.

The T-Shirt gun fired off by the ROTC was also a nice touch.  My wife had a complaint with concession though.  They ran out of beer and wine about midway thru very first quarter.  Yes, there was a lightning delay but still.  They replenished the beer supply quick enough but did nothing about the wine (her favorite is the Moscato).  I also think the guy working the music between plays leading up to the snap needs to work on his timing a bit.  Having the music playing when the QB is barking the signals, regardless whose QB it is, not a good thing and could be causing some unwanted false starts.  Just my opinion but I am sticking with it.  The band (alumni et al.) really cranked out the version of "Georgia on my Mind" at half.  No complaints from me about being too loud though.  LOL

wiu712

sealhall74 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:24 am Having the music playing when the QB is barking the signals, regardless whose QB it is, not a good thing and could be causing some unwanted false starts.
 I can remember a game about 20 years ago when the Western Band was given a warning from the ref's that they were to stop playing when the offense approached the line.

At Saturday's game, there were several times when the loud, recorded music continued well past that point.  On a few occasions, the music continued when the ball was in the air.

The lighting on the field did not seem to be as bright as it used to be.  It appeared that there were a few bulbs on the east side that were not working.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:02 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:24 am Having the music playing when the QB is barking the signals, regardless whose QB it is, not a good thing and could be causing some unwanted false starts.
 I can remember a game about 20 years ago when the Western Band was given a warning from the ref's that they were to stop playing when the offense approached the line.

Your memory is pretty good, I was in that band, which would make it probably '99 or '00.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Late score, stop, lift 7th-ranked SIU over Western Illinois in OT.
From The Southern Illinoisan: 
https://thesouthern.com/sports/college/ ... -top-story

sealhall74

I watched a replay of the final "Big Play".  One thing I did not pick up on at the time was that we opted to have the ball on the right side hash mark instead of the middle of the field.  To me, that is telling the the defense that the play is going left (to their right) more often than not.  The biggest thing I did not like is that Houston caught the ball a good two yards behind the point where Sampson threw it.  The play was good, just took a lot of time to develop which gave their defender a chance to stop it.  Much rather see a pass going forward rather than backward in that situation.  Maybe as simple as Sampson taking a slightly deeper drop in the pocket before tossing it or taking a step to the right as if he was going to roll right on the play.  Little things matter as someone else said earlier.

GV Dad

The 2 pt conversion play was a run/pass option for Houston.  The CB stayed home and blew up the play.  The LB was on Houston before he could create space.  
sealhall74

GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:24 am The 2 pt conversion play was a run/pass option for Houston.  The CB stayed home and blew up the play.  The LB was on Houston before he could create space.  

That was my thought at the time as well.  If so, they were running it to the wrong side because Houston has to throw across his body to make it happen.  More difficuilt that way.  I think he is right-handed, maybe I am wrong on that detail.  They tried running something similar earlier and all he or whoever it was could do was throw a wounded duck as a pass.  Thinking about further, maybe a better way to get Houston the ball in that situation is a quick lateral instead of the conventional pass.  Football is a thinking man's game, that is what I like about it.