Fall 2021 - Week 6 - at Indiana State

sealhall74

We have been mired down in rushing offense ineptness for about the last 7 years, finishing no better than 7th in that conference play only stat category.  Nielson had us in 4th, 4th, and 7th during his 3 years.  You have go all the way back to 2007 and 2008 to find some major success stories when we were 1st and 1st, finishing with 3-3 and 4-4 conference records during those years.  Dont remember who the RBs were back then but running the ball consistently well keeps you in most games.  How good would Sampson be if we had anything even close to a balanced running and passing attack this year?  Pretty damn good IMO.

Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU2DC

sealhall74 wrote:We have been mired down in rushing offense ineptness for about the last 7 years, finishing no better than 7th in that conference play only stat category.  Nielson had us in 4th, 4th, and 7th during his 3 years.  You have go all the way back to 2007 and 2008 to find some major success stories when we were 1st and 1st, finishing with 3-3 and 4-4 conference records during those years.  Dont remember who the RBs were back then but running the ball consistently well keeps you in most games.  How good would Sampson be if we had anything even close to a balanced running and passing attack this year?  Pretty damn good IMO.

Herb Donaldson?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sealhall74

WIU2DC wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:28 pm
sealhall74 wrote:We have been mired down in rushing offense ineptness for about the last 7 years, finishing no better than 7th in that conference play only stat category.  Nielson had us in 4th, 4th, and 7th during his 3 years.  You have go all the way back to 2007 and 2008 to find some major success stories when we were 1st and 1st, finishing with 3-3 and 4-4 conference records during those years.  Dont remember who the RBs were back then but running the ball consistently well keeps you in most games.  How good would Sampson be if we had anything even close to a balanced running and passing attack this year?  Pretty damn good IMO.

Herb Donaldson?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, Donaldson.  He averaged 192 and 158 yards/game those 2 years.  Interestingly, Nick Hill was lighting it up through the air at that same time for SIU.
Tere North

Not being able to run the football is ludicrous. The most fundamental part of football. It's simple, if you can't run, you can't win consistently. It's not that pass all that well, it just looks that way on the stat sheet becaus that is the ONLY think we do. I believe this comes down to the coaching staff either not knowing or not wanting to teach players how to run blocking schemes. As a result, why would an opponent even worry about defending against our running game. Other than QB scrambling 8 times (net negative 49 yds), we only really tried to run the ball 20 times compared to 59 passes.
sealhall74

Tere wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:25 am Not being able to run the football is ludicrous. The most fundamental part of football. It's simple, if you can't run, you can't win consistently. It's not that pass all that well, it just looks that way on the stat sheet becaus that is the ONLY think we do. I believe this comes down to the coaching staff either not knowing or not wanting to teach players how to run blocking schemes. As a result, why would an opponent even worry about defending against our running game. Other than QB scrambling 8 times (net negative 49 yds), we only really tried to run the ball 20 times compared to 59 passes.

At some point (maybe we are there), a coach probably just throws in the towel and goes into "stat-padding" mode so a kid has a good chance to play at the next level and he can pad his own resume with mentoring him.  lol

Tere North

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:05 pm

At some point (maybe we are there), a coach probably just throws in the towel and goes into "stat-padding" mode so a kid has a good chance to play at the next level

Next level - I highly doubt it. But, that's a good as a justication as I've heard yet.

letsgonecks

Tere wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:25 am

At some point (maybe we are there), a coach probably just throws in the towel and goes into "stat-padding" mode so a kid has a good chance to play at the next level

Next level - I highly doubt it. But, that's a good as a justication as I've heard yet.

The issue is our terrible first half defense and being down by so much early.  Can't afford to run the ball.

Honestly, Wanza has been effective and actually averaging 5.1 a carry and 49.8 a game.  The run blocking has improved this year, we just can't afford the time, when down multiple scores most the game.

Take away the 22 sacks that count as carries and add back in the 154 yards lost in sacks and we average 4.6 a carry and 105 per game.

Maybe try running more early anyways and eat some game up and limit opponent possessions, but too many other issues. 

sealhall74

letsgonecks wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:41 pm
Tere wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:25 am

The issue is our terrible first half defense and being down by so much early.  Can't afford to run the ball.

Honestly, Wanza has been effective and actually averaging 5.1 a carry and 49.8 a game.  The run blocking has improved this year, we just can't afford the time, when down multiple scores most the game.

Take away the 22 sacks that count as carries and add back in the 154 yards lost in sacks and we average 4.6 a carry and 105 per game.

Maybe try running more early anyways and eat some game up and limit opponent possessions, but too many other issues. 

Yep, best antidote for a crappy defense is to keep them off the field with some very long offensive drives, lots of 4 yards and clouds of dust.  Pays big dividends in the 4th quarter when the opposing defense is gassed.