Fall 2021 - Week 8 - at North Dakota

wiu712

Another disappointing outcome.  North Dakota won the game 34-10.

North Dakota had 607 total yards of offense.

Only 38 rushing yards for Western.

Attendance at North Dakota = 8,807
sealhall74

Every team can have an off game now and then, but this inconsistency (one decent half, one not so decent, maybe even terrible half) every game is a real head-scratcher.  I think the Psych Dept needs to step in.  Walt Flakus, are you looking down on this from above and have any clues?

38 rushing yards,  are you kidding me?  I stopped watching early on because of a pressing home repair matter.  I think we must have had at least 30 then.  SMH

Update: From Box Score, I think we had 44 yards rushing when I stopped watching at 7-7.  

Also, I am getting close to having my stat rankings back in place.  Had to completely rewrite it using stats from the NCAA site instead of the Conference site.  Maybe they will shed some light on the situation.

Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

On the WILP, 98.1 FM, "Post-Game Show", R.J. Larson and Tom Cody said that Saturday's loss eliminated Western from any playoff possibilities.  

That is the first time that I had heard the words "playoffs" and "Western" mentioned in the same sentence.

Three games remaining in the season with two of them at home.

Tere North

We have rushed for 100+ yds twice this season.
  • 206 vs EWash (L 62-52)
  • 175 vs SDState (L41-17)
We gave rushed for at least 50 yds 3-times this season
  • 72 vs Youngstown (W38-35)
  • 70 vs Ball State (L31-21)
  • 51 vs SIU (L31-30)
And we have rushed for less 50 yds 3-times this season
  • 40 vs Montana (L42-7)
  • 38 vs Dakota (L34-10)
  • 28 vs Indiana State (L37-27)
He who does not run the ball is destined to lose - aka BktBall - live by the 3, die by the 3
Neckfansince71

I don't think that it is a desire not to run.  Instead, I think it's the inability to establish the run which in turn creates a problem with the pass, the selection and the resulting hurried throws and tackles for a loss.  We had the same problem last Spring with the same record.  I am not suggesting we go to the "Ohio State" 5 yards and a cloud of dust mentality, instead, and I think we can all agree, we have been looking for a pass and run game that are effectively used together.  Plus, as most of you have pointed out, the tackling has been more of "let me see if I can make a great play" rather than "let me see if I can make a sure tackle."  

Tere, you mentioned the three point field goal.  My word of thumb as a coach was always get the ball inside and then outside.  Throw it in to the block, throw it back out the 3 point jump shooter.  You can go inside either with the drive, or the pass to a big guy at the block, but one way to score compliments the other way to score and vice a versa.  Of course you have got to have a big man/men/woman/women to handle the rock inside and shooters who can hit the shoot from the outside too.  Talent, size, determination figure into the equation.  

We have just not played in a sound, fundamental, constant manner for most of our games.  We have just not come up with a formula to win each quarter consistently.  I was really happy with Ball State and felt like we were definitely on the right track. But then..........jc ;)

4EverPurple&Gold

Like a lot I think, I had to turn off the game because it was getting bad. I saw Saunders had some good plays today and it made me miss those days.... anyway... 

Anyone know why the Ogala kid isn't getting a look? When the game is out of reach not sure why Sampson still is out there. I get it is his last year but still. 

I agree with Scott about the deadline for Danielle on Coach Elliott.

With two more home games left, maybe we can play some young guys for hope the next couple seasons. It is always good to beat ISU! 

rocki

4EverPurple&Gold wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:56 pm Like a lot I think, I had to turn off the game because it was getting bad. I saw Saunders had some good plays today and it made me miss those days.... anyway... 

Anyone know why the Ogala kid isn't getting a look? When the game is out of reach not sure why Sampson still is out there. I get it is his last year but still. 

I agree with Scott about the deadline for Danielle on Coach Elliott.

With two more home games left, maybe we can play some young guys for hope the next couple seasons. It is always good to beat ISU! 

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm just ready for this season to be over. I'd looked forward to Leatherneck fall football a lot, but sadly, I've been disappointed. 

I have no idea what the problem is - we obviously have kids that can play ball, and play very well, but for some reason the wheels keep falling off the bus. At this point, I have no idea why they don't play Ogala. If I'm not mistaken, he is also a senior, so give him a shot before his playing days are over. 

I'd love to beat USD and ISUr, but truly don't know if we are capable of playing a complete game to do so.

Time for a change. Not saying Coach Elliott isn't a great guy, or that he doesn't relate well to the players, he just doesn't appear to have what it takes to translate that rapport into wins.
sealhall74

If it has been disappointing for us fans, I just wonder how the players feel.  I was watching the Bears get blown out by Tampa Bay yesterday. The cameras focused on the Bears QB a lot while he was on the bench after one miscue or another.  He just seemed like he was totally disinterested in the situation.  Even under adverse conditions after all is lost, I want a QB doing the little things that make him great (or not) like checking the computer tablet, looking at  the opponent's defense setups or if not that, at least on the sidelines offering encouragement to his own defense.   I hope our guys are not like that and still are doing the things (weight room work, academics, film review, ...) that it takes to have a winning program.  New coach or not new coach, righting the ship always starts TODAY.

Embrace the pace of the race.