Fall 2021 - Week 9 - vs Illinois State

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:29 am
rocki wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:26 am Am I allowed to say that despite all the press our QB is getting for the ISUr game, I think the real player of the game was Dennis Houston?

I think there are several players you could put in that category. Wanza had some solid runs where he found his own holes. Hunter Mason’s 2 sacks in a row really sparked the team as well. 

Michael Lawson's 41-yard scoop and score to tie up the game was a big one. It happened only ~1 minute of game time after a 20 yard TD pass to Jack Whyte. That was a 15-point swing (2-point conversion successful on the second one) in a pretty short amount of time.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
rocki

GV Dad and ST Lawson, you are both correct, and I stand corrected. Apologies to the team members I left out.
GV Dad

rocki wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:26 pm GV Dad and ST Lawson, you are both correct, and I stand corrected. Apologies to the team members I left out.

No apologies necessary. Houston had a great game!  Good to see him back where he was 4 games ago. I really think he had an injury he was fighting through. He hasn’t been the same. 
rocki

Noticed Tate comes up limping a lot as well. Looks like a nagging but not terribly harmful injury, as he still rotates in.

Now, you've got me intrigued about private money waiting for.........(what to happen????)
WIU2DC

rocki wrote:Noticed Tate comes up limping a lot as well. Looks like a nagging but not terribly harmful injury, as he still rotates in.

Now, you've got me intrigued about private money waiting for.........(what to happen????)
Same… what private money? Lol. Just assumed 90% of the Alumni from WIU are nurses, teachers, farmers, and cops. All make decent livings but none able to give a ton of money back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:26 pm GV Dad and ST Lawson, you are both correct, and I stand corrected. Apologies to the team members I left out.

Like GV Dad said, no need to apologize. This game was absolutely a "team" effort.
rocki

GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:29 am There is a lot of Private money that’s waiting on the sideline until they see some changes. And I’m not talking about the Coaching staff. 

Are these changes that the alumni could have an effect on?
meganeck

rocki wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:29 pm
GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:29 am
SouthsideNeck wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:39 pm Western will never be a destination until the have better budget, more resources and an administration that has a vision for football. No seasoned coach will come to a school that shared a score board between departments and until that mentality changes these results are what we will see. 

^^^ This^^^

And this is where (for me, anyway) the chicken or the egg metaphor comes into play. Would we be able to get funding (from alumni or whoever) to start plans for a revamped football stadium with the team records the way they have been, or do we need to do something to get the program back on a winning track to bring back $$$ support? I don't know the answer, but would appreciate someone with insight explaining a viable plan to me.

With that said, grateful for the win, proud of the team for continuing to gut it out. These kids have skills and heart, that's for sure. 

I agree it is the chicken or the egg metaphor for me also but in a different way. Can you attract a decent coach or recruits the way things are? No. well to get better coaches etc you need money. One way to get that is fans in the stands, which the current state of the program isn't going to happen. So you need to take a chance on someone, either an up and coming coach who can get things going or someone like they got for basketball in Coach Jeter, someone looking for a second chance. In either instance both probably wouldn't be here long if they get things turned around. I agree with someone who said they need to find someone who doesn't want this job as a stepping stone. I think Coach Elliott doesn't view this job as a stepping stone and I'm not saying that as an argument to keep him, just pointing it out. 

meganeck

I will keep bringing this up, but you never here from our AD, no idea what her plans are to improve, facilities etc. I think it Tanney, maybe TVA did also, but they put out a newsletter (monthly I think) that they at least gave us some insights into what was going on. Anyway would be nice to hear what her vision is for the football program and or stadium.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:59 pmI agree it is the chicken or the egg metaphor for me also but in a different way. Can you attract a decent coach or recruits the way things are? No. well to get better coaches etc you need money. One way to get that is fans in the stands, which the current state of the program isn't going to happen. So you need to take a chance on someone, either an up and coming coach who can get things going or someone like they got for basketball in Coach Jeter, someone looking for a second chance. In either instance both probably wouldn't be here long if they get things turned around. I agree with someone who said they need to find someone who doesn't want this job as a stepping stone. I think Coach Elliott doesn't view this job as a stepping stone and I'm not saying that as an argument to keep him, just pointing it out.

I'm not opposed to coaches using us as a stepping stone to better things. We're not the top of college football (even when we were at our best, there were still a good 2 "levels" above us), so getting a chance to step up after hopefully 3+ years (rather than the only 2 years of Coach Fisher) would mean we're actually doing pretty well.

I'm the same way about Jeter. I'd love to have him for a long time, assuming he continues the recent trajectory, but if he gets us to the top of the conference and maybe even into the NCAA Tournament, he'll have a lot of options in the upper mid-major area if he's interested. And I'm ok with that.