Fall 2021 - Week 9 - vs Illinois State

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

ImageVS Image

Date/Time: Saturday, October 30 at 3 PM (Central)
Weather Forecast at Kickoff (as of 10/29): 57 degrees, mostly cloudy, 0% chance of precipitation, ~9 mph wind

WIU Radio: Mixlr | Q98.1 (Cuba, IL)
ISU Radio: WJBC
TV/Video Stream: ESPN+
Live Stats: From WIU
Game Notes: Western Illinois | Illinois State

As has happened numerous times in the last 100 years, it's now time for the Redbirds to visit Macomb. This year's ISU team started off the season with a big win over Butler (Pioneer League), 49-7, then a FBS loss at Western Michigan of 28-0. They traveled to Eastern Illinois for their non-conference rivalry matchup there, where they narrowly defeated the Panthers, 31-24. Heading into conference play, the Redbirds lost 35-17 at #7 SIU, 41-20 against #16 Missouri State, 20-0 against #3 NDSU, but then were able to pull out a huge 20-14 road win over then #15 South Dakota.

The series between the Leathernecks and Redbirds is the most played in WIU history and second-most in ISU history (behind only EIU). We have played them 103 times, with WIU holding a 51-49-3 series lead. The series began in 1904, and has been played every year (except 1973) back to 1923. The last three meetings have been won by ISU, including a 37-27 WIU loss last season in Normal.

On offense, ISU is ranked 111th in the FCS, putting up 267.3 ypg and 19.6 ppg (87th). They are 66th on the ground (139 ypg) but 116th through the air (128.3 ypg). Fr. QB Jackson Waring had been playing for much of the season, but in the win over USD, it was Sophomore Bryce Jefferson who was running the offense. Neither QB has been all that impressive, with a total of 5 TDs and 6 INTs between them and the previously mentioned 128 ypg. The top receiving target is Jr. WR Austin Nagel, who has caught 11 passes for 269 yards with an average of 38.4 ypg and 1 TD. On the ground, Fr. RB Cole Mueller leads the team with 82.6 ypg and 3 TDs, but in last weekend's game against USD, he racked up 178 yards and a TD to pick up both the MVFC Offensive Player of the Week and Newcomer of the Week awards. 4 other players have 2 rushing TDs each this season.

The defense has been a bit stronger for ISU this season, holding teams to 350.6 ypg (45th) with 161.4 of that coming on the ground (70th) and 189.1 ypg through the air (30th), so it looks like their pass defense is really their strength. Out of 123 FCS teams, they're 122nd in tackles for loss. Jr. LB Shanon Reid leads the team with 56 total tackles (34 solo) with 1 INT and a forced fumble. Jr. DL Braydon Deming is the best on the team at getting through the opponent's O-line, tallying 4 tackles for loss (1 sack). Sr. DB Jarrell Jackson is one to watch out for when we're trying to pass, as he has 3 INTs returned for a total of 96 yards and 5 pass breakups.

You can check out ISU's full statistic ranking summary here.

For comparison, here's our statistic ranking summary.

Massey Ratings gives us about a 51% chance of winning the game, with a predicted score of 27-26.
Sagarin lists ISU as the #150th DI team in the country, with us sitting at 175, although they also give us about a 51% chance of a win

So, I'd say this game is pretty much a "toss-up". Neither team has done all that well this year overall, but both teams have occasionally shown sparks of competence. On one side, you have ISU coming off a big road win over a ranked team. On the other side, you have us...who are on a 4-game losing streak and haven't really shown much life after halftime of the SDSU game. If Coach Elliott can get our guys excited enough to play like they can, then we should be able to win this one. If, however, they are pretty much "checked out" on the season at this point, then I think we'll keep it close, but won't have that extra "oomph" to get us over the hump. Fingers crossed that I'm right, but I'm going with us having just enough and ISU having a "let-down" after last weekend's win. Leathernecks win 31-30.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
GV Dad

Our Defense is what it is right now, but we have shown that we can be effective against teams that rely on the run.  Hopefully we get Carson back this week, and the D Line can play up to their abilities.  I would feel much better about this game if our Offense was playing better.  3 weeks ago, my prediction would have been something like 35-20 WIU.  Now, I like your 31-30 Scott, but I hope we can get to 31.  

If the offense can get back to their old ways, I really don't think ISU has the Offense to keep up.  Even against our Defense.  ISU wants this game to be an ugly 21-17 smash mouth, not a track meet.  
wiu712

Fans looking for something to eat before the game should consider the 29th annual Smokin' Hog BBQ at the Alpha Gamma Rho house on North Lafayette.  

Western_101

I don't think this platform supports Greek letters (support in the context of not an available option) 

Alpha Gamma Rho  has always had my utmost respect. 

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Western_101 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:47 am I don't think this platform supports Greek letters (support in the context of not an available option) 

Alpha Gamma Rho  has always had my utmost respect.

It's not an available option in the interface, but if you use a special keyboard or copy and paste the characters from somewhere, they work.
Α Γ Ρ

When I was in college, for a short time, I was an Α Τ Ω

I normally just head over here and copy and paste what I need: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_alphabet#Letters
sealhall74

Two questions for the AGR brothers on Saturday.

1) Is all the pork from the WIU farm?

2) Was Garth Brooks a member of AGR while he was at Okie State or was he just a wannabe and rushed once there?

http://www.therightcountry.com/FeatureA ... ng.%5B8%5D

http://www.osuagrs.com/future-members#: ... ntact%20us.

Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Beautiful day for a game...
(although I'm not sure how it can be "sunny conditions" when the sun is down)

leatherneckcountry

wonder what the crowd will be like with MHS having a playoff game today.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote:wonder what the crowd will be like with MHS having a playoff game today.
Pretty small would be my guess based on the people in the stands now and the number of people I saw in the tailgate area. Maybe 2k tops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sealhall74

High school kids don't make that kickoff mistake.  Other than that, great day to watch a game in Hanson Field.
Embrace the pace of the race.