Best Way To Watch

wiu712

Stunning defeat in season opener sends Nebraska back to the drawing board.
From the Lincoln, Nebraska Journal-Star:
https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/ ... op-story-1

Attendance at Nebraska = 15,312

leatherneckcountry

wiu712

letsgonecks

FREE THROWS, FREE THROWS, FREE THROWS.  Yeah, awesome win and loving it here, but can't miss that many free throws.  Missed at least 3 and 1's and 3 front end 1 and 1's, that cost us a lot of points.  NEB was hot from the line for 95% of the game and that was what kept it close the second half, but luckily they started to miss down the stretch on a few.

Love the aggressiveness crashing the offensive boards.  Outside of TP for 2 years, I don't recall WIU ever going after boards on the offensive end and now we're seeing multiple people.  I understand that we now seem to have the personnel to do so, but for years, it's been outside shot everyone turn and run back.  To make things worse over the years, it seems every team we faced would crash on us, to get crazy amounts of second chance shots.  Hopefully it's time for major payback!!!!

Outside of FT's, I would have liked to see a few more balls down low to Dixon.  He's a matchup nightmare and have a feeling he'll get plenty of points in the paint and opportunities at the line.

This team and staff could be very special this year.  Starts with a confident HC and great supporting staff, but we cover all the bases as a unit as well.  Depth, multiple guys that dribble drive, multiple 3 point shooters, size and strength for hitting the boards and playing defense.

meganeck

letsgonecks wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:28 am FREE THROWS, FREE THROWS, FREE THROWS.  Yeah, awesome win and loving it here, but can't miss that many free throws.  Missed at least 3 and 1's and 3 front end 1 and 1's, that cost us a lot of points.  NEB was hot from the line for 95% of the game and that was what kept it close the second half, but luckily they started to miss down the stretch on a few.

Love the aggressiveness crashing the offensive boards.  Outside of TP for 2 years, I don't recall WIU ever going after boards on the offensive end and now we're seeing multiple people.  I understand that we now seem to have the personnel to do so, but for years, it's been outside shot everyone turn and run back.  To make things worse over the years, it seems every team we faced would crash on us, to get crazy amounts of second chance shots.  Hopefully it's time for major payback!!!!

Outside of FT's, I would have liked to see a few more balls down low to Dixon.  He's a matchup nightmare and have a feeling he'll get plenty of points in the paint and opportunities at the line.

This team and staff could be very special this year.  Starts with a confident HC and great supporting staff, but we cover all the bases as a unit as well.  Depth, multiple guys that dribble drive, multiple 3 point shooters, size and strength for hitting the boards and playing defense.

Agree on the free throws, was getting so agitated they were missing them. I figured that had sealed their doom. Hopefully this team can stay healthy all year so we can see how they do. seems like when we have a chance at being good we get hit with the injury bug. That frustrated me also with the rebounding or lack of, but that was Billy's philosophy I guess. Anyway great win and proud of the guys that they pulled it out. 

meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:17 pm What a way to start the season. I didn't get a chance to watch the game, so I'll have to go back and check out some highlights. Off to a great start, but I have to remember to temper my expectations...I remember the last time we knocked off a Big 10 opponent to start the season and then went on to finish 10-17 on the season and 3-13 in the conference.

Scott, any idea what the payout from Nebraska was for us to play them. I didn't know if that info is out there like it usually is for football.

Good point about when we beat Wisconsin. I had forgot about how that season turned out.
sealhall74

Plenty of things to improve on.  For me, it would be handling the pressure/double teams on the perimeter.  We got that deer in headlights look at times.  Not likely to see the quickness that they had in the Summit, but that is the defense the Dakota boys play when push comes to shove.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:03 am
ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:17 pm What a way to start the season. I didn't get a chance to watch the game, so I'll have to go back and check out some highlights. Off to a great start, but I have to remember to temper my expectations...I remember the last time we knocked off a Big 10 opponent to start the season and then went on to finish 10-17 on the season and 3-13 in the conference.

Scott, any idea what the payout from Nebraska was for us to play them. I didn't know if that info is out there like it usually is for football.

Good point about when we beat Wisconsin. I had forgot about how that season turned out.

I haven't seen it listed anywhere. I found an article that talks about college basketball "buy games" and says that the most common payout was $90k. I'd estimate we were a bit lower than that, so maybe somewhere in the $60k-$80k range?

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
OldHare

Congrats on a good road win to start the season.  It is possible that the Summit is a competitive league.  Jeter has been successful in the past.  

sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:14 am
meganeck wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:03 am

I haven't seen it listed anywhere. I found an article that talks about college basketball "buy games" and says that the most common payout was $90k. I'd estimate we were a bit lower than that, so maybe somewhere in the $60k-$80k range?

I hope they used some of it to tip the Pinnacle custodial staff very well as they had extra cleanup duties to perform.  LOL
In my short and unstoried athletic career, I only go to experience a crazy locker room celebration victory once.  I think it was in 8th grade and we won the Little Four conference football title going undefeated at 4-0.  We all brought in bottles of soda (yes, bottles as plastic were not a thing back then) to have if we pulled off the victory.  We limited our sprays to inside the shower room so we did not make that much of a mess.  But coaches being coaches, they chewed our ass out for bringing glass into the shower as it could have broken and caused some injury. 

My policy after 65 years of existence:  Stay humble and act like you have been there before.

Embrace the pace of the race.