Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

All I Want for Christmas is the next Chris Streveler.   :lol:

Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:31 am All I Want for Christmas is the next Chris Streveler.   :lol:

That'd be nice, but if all we have is a QB, then we're just going to see a repeat of the last year....lots of passing yards, not much of a run game, porous defense.
It'll take a little more than 1 great player to turn things around.
GV Dad

We’re a couple O lineman and some want to from being a decent running team. Ludo is a solid FCS RB. 
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:34 am
sealhall74 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:31 am All I Want for Christmas is the next Chris Streveler.   :lol:

That'd be nice, but if all we have is a QB, then we're just going to see a repeat of the last year....lots of passing yards, not much of a run game, porous defense.

Ahh, how soon we forget.  He was a dual threat QB.  In his final year at USD, he was leading USD rusher and he alone averaged more rushing yards per game than our entire offense this season or damn near it. A rushing threat QB makes any other RB or receiver that much better.

But GVDad is right, it all starts up front. 

Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:
ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:34 am

Ahh, how soon we forget.  He was a dual threat QB.  In his final year at USD, he was leading USD rusher and he alone averaged more rushing yards per game than our entire offense this season or damn near it. A rushing threat QB makes any other RB or receiver that much better.

But GVDad is right, it all starts up front. 

Oh I’m aware he could run also…might have even been a better runner than a passer. Still, the O-line has to be at least halfway decent to open up the gaps and give the runners time to get up to speed.

On defense, we had some solid individual performances, but overall we allowed almost 39 points per game (113th out of 123 FCS teams). We have got to get better on that front too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Western_101

rocki wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:34 am From my perspective, this looks like this dudes running for office. 

Headline: LOCAL BOY COMES HOME AND SAVES WIU.

Jeesh, I would vote for that guy,

On yet another note I love the pre-made resume binder complete with trademark infringement (Federal copy-write) infringement. Or was that WIU's scrubbed and polished version hot from press? It's pan-tone was PERFECT!  Sorry Warren Zevon.

I love it, as a story, Unless this young man can move Heaven and Earth I can't see anything getting funded. No funds no bueno.  I was a hard no, then softened, Now have regained my senses.  

This guy may be everything he said but is going to get slaughtered in the MVFC. The one with (depending on who you ask), Four flagship schools and every single member out spending us.  

Am I wrong when this wears off in a while, (It does make me feel better though) like Santa and the Mandalorian.

We're going to find out we have the most likable, affable good intentioned coach in the D-I ranks minus the Wins.

Good Lord, can you be any more depressing and negative? I don't think any of us are expecting a miracle his first season, but I think we are optimistic that he can be an effective coach. I'm certainly glad I don't need you to review any of my work/talents. I don't think anyone is good enough for you.  :roll:

*rant over*

I appreciate a good 'n' proper rant. Well done.

We don't all have to be of the same mindset, I have changed my mind a couple times over about this hire. I probably didn't need to share any views pro or con in that what ever it is the Ink is dry. So my heart will root for the 'Necks and we will see how it pans out. How much of Myers Hendrickson's success is based off of Matt Drinkall's success? Most,some,none?  I love that so many think this is a slam dunk hire, that puts me in the minority and probably means my pragmatic mindset that this guy while checking off a lot of boxes has a lot of unknowns, can he succeed at this level? 

I guess we are going to find out.

Western_101

GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:47 am
leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:06 am I don't get this whole thing that we can't compete in the valley anymore. Maybe not SDSU and NDSU but as recently as 2017 we went 5-3 in the valley. Nielson was 5-3 at WIU and went to USD and has been basically the same there. SIU made it to the second round of the playoffs but we very easily could have beaten them this year. The run at ISU is coming back down to earth since the national championship game run. UND isn't anything special they went 3-5 in the conference. Indiana St and youngstown state aren't ever going to be great again either. MSU is great for now but does anyone really think Petrino is going to stick around there. UNI isn't what it use to be there pretty much a .500 team every year.  

A lot of this stems from just being part of the "Fellowship of the Miserable".  It's easier to say "we can't" then to do anything about changing it.  I am not calling anyone out, in my opinion if you are an active member of this board then you are a passionate fan.  And we need lots more of those.  We can absolutely be competitive in this conference.  But 1 man isn't going to swoop in and magically save us.  It's going to take effort on everyone's part to get things turned around.  There was also a question of funding.  I can tell you, that Coach Hen has OVERWHELMING support by the football Alumni.  I think we are going to see this turn into some $$$ pretty soon.  

People complain about funding.  Are you a member of the LC?  And, if so, have you recruited others to do the same?  Do you participate in the P&G auction, or the day of giving? You don't have to be a $1,000 donor to make a difference.  
People complain about low attendance.  Are you a season ticket holder, or do you come back for a couple games a year because you live far away?   If yes to either, are you bringing 2,3,4 friends with you?  

If you want to help, you want to make a difference, but you're not sure what you can do.  Reach out to me, I have a lot of ideas that we have put in place through our parents group that I would be more than happy to share.  

Some good points here GV Dad.

I'm intrigued to learn more of this "Fellowship of the Miserable" maybe down the road after 25 years of following the 'Necks at home and some away games you can tell me more. 

I tip my cap to you Sir that after your son moves on you will continue to be a season ticket holder and be giving up half of your weekend attending Western home games with 2-4 of your friends that didn't go to school here that also want to give up half their weekend. 

I have tried getting friends to go to a game, I have offered free tickets and beer.......alas to no avail. I am trying to imagine still living in Schaumburg, Il and some friend trying to entice me to spend my Saturday in Eureka Illinois watching Eureka Red Devils football, that is a hard pass.  That is what my friends think of Western. If it ain't P-5 for most it's not D-I.  I can't even get my wife to go to a game anymore and my son is too young and is bored by it.  

I am glad you are involved and i truly appreciate it.  However, I think getting support involves an entire game day atmosphere and winning. Yes, I am a LC member, what do you suppose is the right amount to pledge to get the West side rebuilt and the football building realized?

WIU0812

I dont think the funding should be only through typical leatherneck club donations for those big ticket items they need to have a separate funding campaign through online and in person events and publish a ticker to help keep people engaged it will not be a single year effort and helps for people to see how close they are. Also give packages and opportunities such as selling bricks in wall with names or statements on them or some other idea similar too that so you feel like your getting something personal when you donate. Maybe offer season tickets for year or few years for certain size donations and make money off consessions/merchandise from those people after since we all know there is plenty of room for more fans. I have been shocked at the lack of transparency on future athletic plans its as if they don't even have major goals or if they do have a plan it certain doesn't engage all fans nearly enough.
Leatherneck177

I agree with GV on a lot of his post. Western has had GREAT stretches of football, Macomb has always been Macomb. We have seen the right coaching staff put the team in a position to win many times before. Crowds have been large too. I was there from 2000-2004, probably the greatest four year stretch ever, perhaps 1998-2002 beats it…but anyways it can be done. 
Do we have what NDSU has? How many others do? Not many, but if we make a few changes we can quickly jump into the middle of the pack facility wise. Yes a big IF, but why not try to keep pushing towards that instead of dropping down a division or going to OVC? What does that accomplish? Winning changes a lot of things…attendance, funding, community interest etc. I think we all know that, so let’s see what happens.