Head Coaching Search

sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:59 pm
Tere wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:41 amYet, SIU is in the Valley. In another post you commented how they have the same budget issues we do. So why can SIU be int he Valley be WIU can't.

Proportionally the same budget and enrollment issues, but they're still way ahead of us on their investments in basketball. Their men's HC makes $475k/year (Jeter makes $200k), they play in the ~8,300 seat Banterra Center that looks like this, and have only one season in their DI history where they averaged under 3k fans per home game (1981-82). They have 10 NCAA tournament appearances, 3 "Sweet Sixteen" appearances, and have had 9 players go on to play in the NBA.

We have a long ways to go to catch up to them.

I just learned that Gale Sayers, a former SIU AD, passed away last year.  Where have I been?

Embrace the pace of the race.
meganeck

I know this is getting away from the topic. As much as I wanted to get out of the Summit League as it seems to favor the Dakota schools, I don't know what other good options there are. I once wished they would leave for the OVC, but that seems like a dying conference. MVC would make the most sense, geographically but I agree they wouldn't accept WIU and we probably couldn't compete in many sports.

Anyway back to the coaching search, I was very encouraged after listening to the AD at BOT meeting and I agree I think the quality of coaches we supposedly are seeing is because the conference we are in. Hopefully we hear something on the finalists etc.
vatusay

No chance ever at MVC. I don’t like don’t like the Dakota owned summit more than anyone else but it’s the best option right now.

Just hope AD hits a home run like she did with jeter hire. 
#ALLIN #YOLO
Leatherneck177

I think we are all selling ourselves short on the MVC. You can’t tell me every sport is light years ahead of us for every school. Basketball, a revenue sport, fine but many of these schools have terrible attendance when their team is bad/average. 

drake
siu
isu
indiana state
uni
bradley
evansville
missouri state
valpo
loyola - on their way out

looks like a conference to me that should consider adding a few schools. They are not what they once were, still solid, still a good step for wiu, but by no means the Arch Madness of old.

we don’t need to be a flagship add for them, we are a great geographic match…funding wise who knows how short we are in comparison? Maybe a lot for now, I’ve been all over the MAC and not every one of those schools blows me away facilities wise. 

LeatherCy

Who is on the search committee besides Tom Cody?? Recently fired OC at K-State is good friend. Played QB at UNI and has coached at SW MO. Even had a brother in law living in Macomb. I talked to him Sunday night. Not interested in Western
sealhall74

LeatherCy wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:32 pm Who is on the search committee besides Tom Cody?? Recently fired OC at K-State is good friend. Played QB at UNI and has coached at SW MO. Even had a brother in law living in Macomb. I talked to him Sunday night. Not interested in Western

When a "Fire X" thread shows up on your fan message board, you know your days are numbered.  Except for Farley at UNI, of course.  It happens every year, regardless if he makes the playoffs.   :lol:

Coyote53

Anyone heard the name Travis Johansen during the search? Heard from a pretty reliable source he’s been pulled into this. Not sure why he’d make that move but we finally are playing good defense. We CANNOT afford that now!! All are welcome over on the USD proboards to talk some MVFC Football. 
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:29 am
LeatherCy wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:32 pm Who is on the search committee besides Tom Cody?? Recently fired OC at K-State is good friend. Played QB at UNI and has coached at SW MO. Even had a brother in law living in Macomb. I talked to him Sunday night. Not interested in Western

When a "Fire X" thread shows up on your fan message board, you know your days are numbered.  Except for Farley at UNI, of course.  It happens every year, regardless if he makes the playoffs.   :lol:

From some of the comments, it sounded like his offense looked like ours. Kinda glad he's not interested in Western - we don't need "deja vu all over again".  :lol:

sealhall74

rocki wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:38 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:29 am

From some of the comments, it sounded like his offense looked like ours. Kinda glad he's not interested in Western - we don't need "deja vu all over again".  :lol:

Hard to say for sure.  In the Valley, you must be able to run the ball and stop the run to have success.  That has always been the Bison MO and the Jacks seemed to have it figured out as well.  I was amazed how many different run formations they used under Klieman and Messingham and still use today under Entz.  My favorite was the Triple I formation.  Two leading blockers for the tail RB in short yardage situations.  My thought is that at the FBS level, players are quicker and more athletic everywhere, including the lines so any one-on-one player advantages are pretty much minimized.  Success there requires a true mix of run and pass options, well-timed and well-executed.

BTW, what is the big advantage of rush over pass?  Simple.  Less things can go wrong and less subject to the external elements like weather.  Bilichick passed the ball 3 times last night in win over Buffalo in a very windy game.  Also, even if you are going against a good passing team, if you can burn the clock by keeping the ball on the ground, the other team cant get on the field enough for quick scores.  And last but not least, come 4th quarter time, if a team has been pummelled to death on the ground, they have nothing left in the tank.

After further review, the Triple I is actually called the Maryland I.  You can see it here.

https://www.cover1.net/north-dakota-sta ... rmation%2C

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000