Depaul U Warmup

sealhall74

The Iowa Wesleyan Tigers come to town for this 6pm matchup.  Dont know much about them.  Their notable alumni include the likes of Davey Lopes (MLB) and James Van Allen (discoverer of the Van Allen radiation belt).  They play in a newly branded conference called the Continental Athletic Conference which does indeed live up to its name with 19 member schools from across the lands and waters:

https://ggcathletics.com/news/2021/7/13 ... erence.%22

Run the ball a bit to hopefully find an early offensive rhythm, pretend you are playing a team like Depaul on defense with some pressure on the perimeter, stay healthy, and go deep in the bench by midway in 2nd half.

Was hoping to come in for this one but still feeling a little under the weather.

Embrace the pace of the race.
sealhall74

97-71 the final.  Looked pretty good tonight.  If we don't come home 2-1 or better on the upcoming road swing, I will be suprised.  
Free throw shooting could always be improved to swing the close games in our favor.
Jack Margenthaler's "make them or the whole team runs suicides" drill would do the trick.   :lol:

wiu712

Will Carius led the Western scoring with 16 points.  Tamell Pearson had 15.  Colton Sandage had 13.  Luka Barisic had 12 (on 4 three-pointers).  George Dixon had 10.

Western was 18 for 29 on Free Throws (62%).

Attendance at Western Hall = 1,500

Next game will be Saturday (Nov 20) at DePaul.  Game time is 7:00 PM.  That game will be on Fox Sports 2.

Last edited by wiu712 on Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sealhall74

I pulled this tidbit from the Courier archives.  I have witnessed it a time or two in his practices.  Believe me when I say it works.

Western Courier, Monday, February 4, 1980 13 What's the secret to successful free throws? Ask Jack Recently, Western Illinois head basketball coach Jack Margenthaler received a call requesting him to speak upon the art of free throw shooting--after all his team led the entire nation in charity stripe accuracy. ""I told the guy, if you really want to spend the money, I'll come--but my talk will only take 30 seconds,"" said Margenthaler. The coach related, ""First of all,"" he told the caller. ""you have to recruit excellent shooters and, secondly, you must teach them how to concentrate. That's it."" Margenthaler has recruited highly-skilled shooters as the team field goal percentage mark of 50 percent would indicate. The team's .805 free throw mark is the best in the nation, for Division II. ""We have what we call 'pressure free throws' during irregular portions of our practices,"" said the Western coach. The pressure free throw segment consists of an alignment of the team at one baseline--two members are called to the free throw line to shoot l and l situations. If the front end of the 1 and 1 is missed, the entire team is required to sprint twice to the opposite baseline and back in 9.5 seconds or better--""we set our stop watch on the last man,"" Margenthaler pointed out. If all of the pressure free throws are made, sprints are assessed and the practice routine continues. ""We will continue the pressure situation until we make all four,"" said the coach, ""and sometimes we do a lot of running.
letsgonecks

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:29 pm I pulled this tidbit from the Courier archives.  I have witnessed it a time or two in his practices.  Believe me when I say it works.

Western Courier, Monday, February 4, 1980 13 What's the secret to successful free throws? Ask Jack Recently, Western Illinois head basketball coach Jack Margenthaler received a call requesting him to speak upon the art of free throw shooting--after all his team led the entire nation in charity stripe accuracy. ""I told the guy, if you really want to spend the money, I'll come--but my talk will only take 30 seconds,"" said Margenthaler. The coach related, ""First of all,"" he told the caller. ""you have to recruit excellent shooters and, secondly, you must teach them how to concentrate. That's it."" Margenthaler has recruited highly-skilled shooters as the team field goal percentage mark of 50 percent would indicate. The team's .805 free throw mark is the best in the nation, for Division II. ""We have what we call 'pressure free throws' during irregular portions of our practices,"" said the Western coach. The pressure free throw segment consists of an alignment of the team at one baseline--two members are called to the free throw line to shoot l and l situations. If the front end of the 1 and 1 is missed, the entire team is required to sprint twice to the opposite baseline and back in 9.5 seconds or better--""we set our stop watch on the last man,"" Margenthaler pointed out. If all of the pressure free throws are made, sprints are assessed and the practice routine continues. ""We will continue the pressure situation until we make all four,"" said the coach, ""and sometimes we do a lot of running.

I love it, but would have dreaded as a player.  Horrible FT shooter, but probably would have made me practice more and better.

sealhall74

About a week ago, Iowa Wesleyan was defeated by Columbia College from MO.  Former WIU standout Garrett Covington is on the staff as an assistant at Columbia College.

https://columbiacougars.com/sports/mens ... all/roster