2022 Roster Changes

rocki

So, spring ball starts March 25th. When do we have a "final" roster of players for fall? I realize there is action going on all the time, but was wondering how much of a picture of this fall's squad we will get at the April game. Any information welcome. Thanks!!!
letsgonecks

Assuming no unannounced transfers or early enrollees, we're crazy thin at WR.  Not saying the current roster guys won't win a spot on the depth chart, but might be building repour with WR's who won't be playing much.  I say this hoping we get some JUCO or FBS WR transfers and/or our new signees are ready to compete day 1.

Unless these guys have left, here is what we have.  Years might be off depending on the covid year and redshirting.

Cade Eddington - Soph with no game experience, one year with the program.
Jason Heller - Jr - 4 career games all with WIU with a solo special teams tackle.  Spent year at Marshall and Utah with no playing, but probably some good practice reps.
JD Wilson - Soph with no appearances, 2 years with the program
Cam Lewis - Soph with no appearances, 2 years with the program

These guys could be studs and were just young and behind solid starters, but no career game routes run and 1 special teams tackle doesn't look the best on paper.

My potential Spring WR conversions.  Maybe they stick or maybe it's just a numbers game for the spring.
Tre Maronic
Jaylen Reed
Justin Hall
Dylan Tabone
Aidan Harrison
Mheller

letsgonecks wrote:Assuming no unannounced transfers or early enrollees, we're crazy thin at WR.  Not saying the current roster guys won't win a spot on the depth chart, but might be building repour with WR's who won't be playing much.  I say this hoping we get some JUCO or FBS WR transfers and/or our new signees are ready to compete day 1.

Unless these guys have left, here is what we have.  Years might be off depending on the covid year and redshirting.

Cade Eddington - Soph with no game experience, one year with the program.
Jason Heller - Jr - 4 career games all with WIU with a solo special teams tackle.  Spent year at Marshall and Utah with no playing, but probably some good practice reps.
JD Wilson - Soph with no appearances, 2 years with the program
Cam Lewis - Soph with no appearances, 2 years with the program

These guys could be studs and were just young and behind solid starters, but no career game routes run and 1 special teams tackle doesn't look the best on paper.

My potential Spring WR conversions.  Maybe they stick or maybe it's just a numbers game for the spring.
Tre Maronic
Jaylen Reed
Justin Hall
Dylan Tabone
Aidan Harrison
Some WR updates: Jaylen Reed has been moved to wide receiver. Cade Eddington is no longer in the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
letsgonecks

Some WR updates: Jaylen Reed has been moved to wide receiver. Cade Eddington is no longer in the team.

Thanks for the updates.  Keep them coming.
WIU2DC

The underclassmen are about to get a lot of playing time.

Mheller

letsgonecks wrote:

Another update, Cade Eddington rejoined the team! Image

Leatherneck57

Mheller wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:06 pm
letsgonecks wrote:

Another update, Cade Eddington rejoined the team! Image

Glad to hear this.  This kid can play and will end up being an asset in the WR room.  Plus he’s a local kid.  Would have been a D1 player out of high school but got hurt and only played 6 games his senior year.  

He started his college career at DII Truman State.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2GgJ91

Last edited by Leatherneck57 on Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leatherneck57

When the 9-10 guys entered the portal I was upset and still am to some degree.  They quit on their teammates, the new coaches and this university after they chose to come here.  My attitude is quickly changing since reviewing their output as players.  All of these kinds can easily be replaced when looking at the stats.

For Instance…we’ve had a lot of really good LB’s over the years and we’re used to seeing them in leadership roles.  None of the three LB’s that entered the portal can be looked at as leaders.  We are used to seeing kids like Brett Taylor, Quentin Moon, Kyle Glazier, Lee Russell, Jason Williams, Ed Hartwell, James Milton and so many more!  Those kids made a difference to their teammates!

I’m most disappointed in the two O lineman Malkow and Muetterties.  Malkow was a Captain and was “supposed” to be a leader.  Guess we ended up putting to much faith in his ability to lead.  Muetterties was all in until he went home for Spring Break. 

At the end of the day our two safety’s were the most productive guys on the roster with a combined 239 tackles.  When your safety’s are leading the team in tackles it’s not a good thing and only mean the guys up front aren’t doing their job. 

LB’s should average 8-10 tackles a game (if they’re doing their job) and be over 100 tackles for the season.  

As soon as someone makes a tackle or catches a TD pass these kids will be forgotten.  They left our numbers a little thin in areas but soon that will change with the incoming class and other recruits.  Everyone is replaceable!

I am hearing from kids on the team that are fired up and moving on.  They are ready to work, get better and WIN games and that’s all that matters now! 

Last edited by Leatherneck57 on Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:13 pm, edited 8 times in total.
huskie

Well said Leatherneck57, all of those kids can easily be replaced. 
Leatherneck57

huskie wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:47 am Well said Leatherneck57, all of those kids can easily be replaced. 

I also heard from a current player that practice yesterday was amazing (his exact words)!  He said the players have a great feeling about this staff and their leadership!