vs Ball State

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Ball State comes to Western Hall at 6 PM Wednesday in the 3rd of 4 matchups with MAC teams this season.
The Cardinals are 3-3 this season, losing 82-71 at Georgia Southern, beating Omaha 73-69, losing to FIU 73-60, Weber State 85-74, and beating UMass 89-86. Last Saturday they beat Indiana State 97-75.
Kenpom.com lists Ball State at #248, WIU at #188
BPI has Ball State at #274 , WIU at #203
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... /401365045

The game will be available on Leathernecks All-Access: https://goleathernecks.com/watch/?Live=1628&type=Live
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Just saw a tweet from someone (not anyone official or anything...just a random twitter person) confused why DePaul isn't in the overall Top 25, because they are undefeated, have beaten Rutgers and "a solid WIU". I never thought I'd see the day that a close win over us is reasoning to be putting someone in the top 25, but I like it.
WIU2DC

ST_Lawson wrote:Just saw a tweet from someone (not anyone official or anything...just a random twitter person) confused why DePaul isn't in the overall Top 25, because they are undefeated, have beaten Rutgers and "a solid WIU". I never thought I'd see the day that a close win over us is reasoning to be putting someone in the top 25, but I like it.
I believe this account considers DePaul a “mid-major” and not a “small conference” team and that’s why they are not in this top 25.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU2DC wrote:
ST_Lawson wrote:Just saw a tweet from someone (not anyone official or anything...just a random twitter person) confused why DePaul isn't in the overall Top 25, because they are undefeated, have beaten Rutgers and "a solid WIU". I never thought I'd see the day that a close win over us is reasoning to be putting someone in the top 25, but I like it.
I believe this account considers DePaul a “mid-major” and not a “small conference” team and that’s why they are not in this top 25.

The tweet I was referencing was talking about DePaul not being in the “top” top 25…Duke, Purdue, ‘Zaga, etc. The top 25 that we are listed in above is a different top 25 ranking.

Western_101

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:34 pm
WIU2DC wrote:

The tweet I was referencing was talking about DePaul not being in the “top” top 25…Duke, Purdue, ‘Zaga, etc. The top 25 that we are listed in above is a different top 25 ranking.

Associated Press or (AP) Poll is the best out of all 358 D-I. I'm probably wrong (I usually am) but I think the mid-major poll has been a thing for maybe a decade or more, not to be confused with the small conference poll. Lol lots to keep track of.  I don't even know what level Gonzaga is considered these days, they used to be the best of the Mids, now they're in the best of the high-majors.

But to St's point referencing a win against Western as part of a resume that should include a team in the AP top 25 is remarkable  :shock:

vatusay

I’m a believer in this team already. I think they should be considered a quality win already. They are so tough. So excited to see where they go.  I’ll be there Wednesday. 
#ALLIN #YOLO
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Western_101 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:55 pmAssociated Press or (AP) Poll is the best out of all 358 D-I. I'm probably wrong (I usually am) but I think the mid-major poll has been a thing for maybe a decade or more, not to be confused with the small conference poll. Lol lots to keep track of.  I don't even know what level Gonzaga is considered these days, they used to be the best of the Mids, now they're in the best of the high-majors.

But to St's point referencing a win against Western as part of a resume that should include a team in the AP top 25 is remarkable  :shock:

Yeah, I believe the AP poll is still the top for DI college basketball: https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-colleg ... tball-poll
There's also the BPI, which is what's used now by the NCAA instead of RPI: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi
I've heard that they switched to using the BPI because the old RPI formula was giving too much of a boost to the small schools and they wanted to help prop up the big "P5 conference" teams (Big 10, SEC, Big 12, etc.)

There's plenty of other polls out there, but the closest to an "official" one I've seen that specifically excludes the "top dog" conferences is the College Insider Mid-Major Top 25 (https://collegeinsider.com/mens-mid-major-top-25) From their website:
"The Mid-Major Poll is made up of teams from the following conferences: America East, Atlantic Sun, Big Sky, Big South, Big West, Colonial, Horizon, Ivy, Metro Atlantic, Mid-American, Mid-Eastern, Missouri Valley, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southern, Southland, Southwestern, Summit, Sun Belt, West Coast, Western Athletic."
It's been going for 22 years.

The earlier tweet that had us at #24 was from a twitter account called "Major Madness" who, ironically enough, focuses on the small college/low major conferences. Their top 25 poll only includes the following conferences:

That's why you don't see Gonzaga or Loyola Chicago on that list. I don't know how long they've been going, or even if they have a website beyond that one twitter account.
sealhall74

The OVC must be the Rodney Dangerfield (no respect) of mid-majors.  Belmont should definitely be in the top 25, based on what I saw light night in Orlando.  Gave Dayton one hell of a game til the very end.  That 6'11'' MUSZYNSKI can flat out ball around the hoop.  Dayton had no answer for him.  They play Lipscomb on Thurs.  We shall see if they are deserving.

Belmont is a huge gain for the MVC next year with campus in Nashville.

Embrace the pace of the race.
Western_101

ST Lawson -"It's been going for 22 years."

Hahahahaha, Uh oh, Looks like my dementia is acting up, I lost a decade there somewhere!

I'm kinda irritated that the Ball State game wont be available for streaming on ESPN. Or am I mistaken?