Missouri St

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
meganeck

I saw tonight a QB that was committed to Louisville decommitted from there and is going to sign with Missouri St tomorrow. I wonder what the real story behind that is, Petrino is working magic down there.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:11 pm I saw tonight a QB that was committed to Louisville decommitted from there and is going to sign with Missouri St tomorrow. I wonder what the real story behind that is, Petrino is working magic down there.

Impressive. There's no question he's a pretty good coach.

41-9 in 4 years at Louisville with a 2-2 bowl game record
34-17 in 4 years at Arkansas with a 2-1 bowl record, including getting them up to the AP #5 ranking before his affair came to light after his motorcycle accident.
After a year off, took Western Kentucky to an 8-4 record in one year, then back to Louisville where he was 34-18 in 4 years (1-3 in bowl games) before a rough 2-8 record in his 5th season led him to be fired. Part of that 2-8 record was due to star QB Lamar Jackson deciding to forgo his senior year and declare for the NFL draft.

After a couple more years off, he was named HC at MSU, where he took a team that had gone 1-10 and with transfers and coaching, immediately turned them into a 5-5 team overall, but with a 5-1 conference record and a ranking as high as #13 in the FCS. He's only continued that success with a 8-4 record this year and another playoff appearance. I'd have to imagine another positive year at MSU and he'll be getting G5 interest again, unless MSU announces plans to move up to something like CUSA in the meantime.

I also have to imagine that if he had not royally screwed up at Arkansas, with even moderate success, he'd still be a HC or a highly-paid OC at some P5 team.

Either way, MSU is going to continue to be a tough team for the next few years with Petrino at the helm.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck

meganeck wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:11 pm I saw tonight a QB that was committed to Louisville decommitted from there and is going to sign with Missouri St tomorrow. I wonder what the real story behind that is, Petrino is working magic down there.

Along the same lines, I just saw a commit is flipping from Florida St to Jackson St, to play for Deion Sanders
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:24 am

Along the same lines, I just saw a commit is flipping from Florida St to Jackson St, to play for Deion Sanders

The rumor on twitter is that is could be the #1 recruit of 2022, CB Travis Hunter: https://247sports.com/Player/Travis-Hunter-46084728/
Which would be absolutely insane.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Sounds like a big part of the decision is because JSU and Deion have worked out a 7-figure NIL deal and reality TV show for the kid.

Anyone else think this is maybe not so great for the sport in general?....just me?
Not saying the athletes shouldn't be able to get their fair share, but this stuff seems to be getting really out of hand really quickly.

It's official:

rocki

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:10 am Sounds like a big part of the decision is because JSU and Deion have worked out a 7-figure NIL deal and reality TV show for the kid.

Anyone else think this is maybe not so great for the sport in general?....just me?
Not saying the athletes shouldn't be able to get their fair share, but this stuff seems to be getting really out of hand really quickly.

It's official:

I would agree - this is likely to turn into a circus rather than a college experience, imo.
sealhall74

I dont care how good the show is, I don't watch Reality TV shows, period!  Boring.  Rather paint my living room and watch it dry.

Are those DIY Home Makeover shows Reality TV?  If so, I might have lied.

Embrace the pace of the race.
meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:10 am Sounds like a big part of the decision is because JSU and Deion have worked out a 7-figure NIL deal and reality TV show for the kid.

It's official:

Yep, I agree this is not good in my opinion. 

leatherneckcountry

My biggest fear with the NIL was that kids wouldn't care about the school they were going to just which ever one offered the most money as long as there weren't restriction put in place. This is also bigger proof that the coaches don't care about the kids they just care about winning and getting bigger jobs.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Something interesting...