1/13/22 - at North Dakota

rocki

Neckfansince71 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:36 am Can I ask all of you a really deep and serious question?  Okay, here goes!  What gives you more points in a basketball game?  A tomahawk "rattle" the support wire jam?  Or a conservative off the backboard layup?  Also, when you absolutely need a basket, which is riskier and which seems to make the most sense at that point of the ball game?  Just asking!!!! ;)
 jc

Not a coach, never have been, never will be. With that said, I personally prefer the backboard layup. I'm REAL old school (emphasis on the OLD), and get annoyed at the showboating that goes on with dunking the ball. You want to do it on the playground in pick-up ball, fine. In a real ball game I don't feel it has a place. I'm there to watch a game, not someone swinging off the basket rim. Just my 2 cents worth.
Neckfansince71

I totally agree with you and I am an "old" basketball coach from way back.  There have been two glaring instances of this type of thing in the last two games when each possession was bigger than the last.   ;)
 jc
sealhall74

The non-dunking years 1966-77 was the golden age of college basketball.  Also no 3 point shot then.  Best game of college basketball by one player I have ever witnessed was Bill Walton's 44 point effort in the NCAA championship game in 1973.  One "soft kiss off the glass" after another.  That is the game that Naismith had in mind.

Embrace the pace of the race.
sealhall74

Neckfansince71 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:09 am I totally agree with you and I am an "old" basketball coach from way back.  There have been two glaring instances of this type of thing in the last two games when each possession was bigger than the last.   ;)
 jc

There is a time and place for sure.  I think a certain level of frustration had set in because of numerous blocks around the rim earlier in the game.  

letsgonecks

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:30 am
Neckfansince71 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:09 am I totally agree with you and I am an "old" basketball coach from way back.  There have been two glaring instances of this type of thing in the last two games when each possession was bigger than the last.   ;)
 jc

There is a time and place for sure.  I think a certain level of frustration had set in because of numerous blocks around the rim earlier in the game.  

If you're referring to the Massner's missed dunk, he was fouled right below the elbow which completely effected his ability to finish.  Not completely sure a layup makes it there with 2 guys attacking the block.  Though contact on layups are typically called more often then on a dunk, so maybe he makes a layup, it's blocked, or he's shooting free throws??? 

My only recommendation would be to go up with 2 hands, if possible.  Might not get as high, but stronger finish through contact and control.  Don't get me wrong, I work the kids hard on layups and the backboard is a must, but when you're capable of playing above the rim and the defender, you should us it.

I do love when people miss fast break dunks when they're trying to tomahawk.  Did everyone see Flores get stuffed by the rim after his steal and was fouled at half court and decided to continue and dunk?  That was funny!!!!

leatherneckcountry

The dunk can really get a team going we saw that on Saturday with ORU.
sealhall74

It worked out OK but with 57 secs to go and ball in hand, up by 3, you best be setting up a 2 possessions for one play.   We milked clock all the way down to 31 secs or so.  Lucky they fumbled the ball around after that. 
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:30 am
 jc

Which begs the question.....whatever happened to "goal tending"?