2022 Season

GV Dad

letsgonecks wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:56 am During the Zoom coaches call, they said there would be updates on the spring, but nothing really yet.  Sucks the one guy (Scott Holland) who used to put out info is now working for WIU, so nothing.

An update on the first scrimmage would be in nice or some pics to see what we're working with.  I see some great pics of guys being involved in the community and that is awesome, but would be nice to see or read about some football action.  Even an updated spring roster to see who's still with us or joined.

I know this stuff isn't important as far as the program getting better, but as a fan and someone who's committed to WIU, I like to see what's going on.

Agreed, and it's absolutely important.  We have to increase attendance, which will increase revenue.  We need all the free publicity we can get to generate some excitement.  There should be pics and videos of practice and scrimmages all over social media.  Started out that way, but has really dried up the last week or so.  
meganeck

Also I know other programs put out a depth chart in the spring. It would be nice if they did something like that.
L'Étranger

I think 5 wins is maybe a bit optimistic against our schedule but I hope we'll made huge strides forward vs the last several years. We have coaches who are new to Western, MVFC, and D1, and right now we only have 55-ish players in Spring Ball (which also goes to the depth chart question), which means up to an equal amount of new faces trying to learn the system this summer.

I'd be happy with 4 wins this year with a target of 6-7 next year, after systems are really able to be implemented.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

For anyone who might be going, the game at Minnesota on 9/10 will be at 11 AM on the B1G Network.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
GV Dad

At Missouri State is now listed as a 2:00 game.  
GV Dad

Definitely one thing that has to be addressed in the seasons ahead.  No way we should have the 6th toughest schedule in FCS.  I know some of it can't be helped, due to MVFC scheduling rotation.  I also think several teams on our schedule are very over rated.  Mo State, UT Martin for sure.  

Strength of Schedules in the 2022 FCS Football Season | The Analyst
rocki

GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 4:15 am Definitely one thing that has to be addressed in the seasons ahead.  No way we should have the 6th toughest schedule in FCS.  I know some of it can't be helped, due to MVFC scheduling rotation.  I also think several teams on our schedule are very over rated.  Mo State, UT Martin for sure.  

Not disagreeing, but could it be because we don't have any "gimme" games? For several years, we'd play at least one team we were expected to handle easily and I don't see that now. (And this is just me, but I think Mo State has come on big time since they got their new coaching staff)
GV Dad

rocki wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:43 am
GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 4:15 am Definitely one thing that has to be addressed in the seasons ahead.  No way we should have the 6th toughest schedule in FCS.  I know some of it can't be helped, due to MVFC scheduling rotation.  I also think several teams on our schedule are very over rated.  Mo State, UT Martin for sure.  

Not disagreeing, but could it be because we don't have any "gimme" games? For several years, we'd play at least one team we were expected to handle easily and I don't see that now. (And this is just me, but I think Mo State has come on big time since they got their new coaching staff)

That's a HUGE part, and spot on with my thought.  I do think that Southern Utah at home is pretty close to a "gimme", but we'll need to see where Coach Hen has the team by game 3.  My opinion, we need 2 Non Conf games that we are heavy favorites in, and then 1 FBS game to cash a check.  Plus the kids love those games.  We should never play a tough Non Conf game, like a Montana, Montana St or Eastern Washington.  We have plenty of big games in conference to have a respectable SOS.  
GV Dad

Also, on Mo State.  They have come a long way fast, but they also have a horrible culture right now.  We thought we had a lot of kids in the portal, they are probably twice the numbers we were.  We'll see what they replace those kids with.  
rocki

GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 4:15 am Also, on Mo State.  They have come a long way fast, but they also have a horrible culture right now.  We thought we had a lot of kids in the portal, they are probably twice the numbers we were.  We'll see what they replace those kids with.  

I didn't realize that - I guess I'm not up on what the other MVFC teams have as far as kids in the portal. Makes one's head spin, for sure.