2022 Baseball schedule

Western_101

16 home dates 36 road games?

I feel bad for the team what a shitty schedule.

Are we taking a year off from home and home with Iowa?  I get that they are B1G but it is baseball, we had an ongoing thing and they are only 2 hours away. I have to wonder if the lack of lights at Boyer Stadium/field causes difficulties with scheduling. 
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Western_101 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:32 am 16 home dates 36 road games?

Are we taking a year off from home and home with Iowa?  I get that they are B1G but it is baseball, we had an ongoing thing and they are only 2 hours away. I have to wonder if the lack of lights at Boyer Stadium/field causes difficulties with scheduling. 

Because I was curious, here's a comparison to previous years (I assume we can't control the Summit League schedule for the most part, so I'm just looking at OOC mostly):
2022 - first home game is 3/15, 4 non-conference home games, all DI games (Morehead State, Illinois State, a H&H with SIUE, H&H with EIU), 16 total home games
2021 - weird scheduling due to COVID, but 16 home games
2020 - what was supposed to be before many games were cancelled...first home game 3/10, 5 non-conference home games (NAIA Clarke, NAIA St. Ambrose, NAIA Iowa Wesleyan, EIU, H&H with SIUE), would have been 20 home games
2019 - first home game 3/16, 5 non-conf home games (NAIA Iowa Wesleyan, NAIA St. Ambrose, H&H with Bradley, H&H with SIUE, H&H with Iowa), 20 scheduled home games
2018 - first home game 3/17, 7/6 non-conf home games (NAIA St. Ambrose, DII Maryville, Illinois State, Missouri [cancelled], H&H with Bradley, H&H with SIUE, H&H with Iowa), 22 scheduled home games

It doesn't look like the H&H series with Iowa has been scheduled since 2019. Now, 2021 was different scheduling anyway, but 2020 we weren't scheduled to host them (we were scheduled to play there in April, but everything after mid-March was cancelled, and there wasn't a return game scheduled that season for them).

Differences in conference makeup between 2018 and today: Fort Wayne left, Northern Colorado joined as a baseball affiliate, St. Thomas joined as a full member.
This year, we have a series of 3 H&H in the conference with NDSU and Northern Colorado, we play 3 at South Dakota State and St. Thomas, and we host 3 against Oral Roberts and Omaha. So probably the conference schedule is broken down into 2 H&H series, 2 away series, and 2 home series (works out to 12 home, 12 away).
In the last "regularly scheduled" season (2020), we would have had H&H series with Fort Wayne, SDSU, ORU, NDSU and Omaha (works out to 15 home, 15 away).
So, I think at least part of that difference is having one more baseball team in the conference has caused the schedule to have to adjust to a different setup with fewer total conference games.

In 2020, we had our 4 away 3-game series to start the season (Tennessee, Butler, Memphis, Missouri), but other than some 1-off games stuck in wherever they fit, that was it besides the 10 conference 3-game series'.
In 2022, we have our 4 away 3-game series to start the season (Western KY, UALR, UNC-Charlotte, Butler), but only have 8 conference 3-game series', so they were also able to schedule a late-season 3-game series at Murray State.
Again, looks like the conference schedule changed and we just had to adjust as best we could.

I took a quick glance at NDSU's baseball schedule this season for comparison, and they have a similar setup. They have 15 home games scheduled this season (don't start outdoors there until April 8). 2 H&H 3-game series, 2 away series, 2 home series (in the conference). OOC is 4 3-game series, conference schedule, plus a late season 3-game series at Miami, and the various 1-off games wherever they fit.

So, it looks like everyone had to pick up an extra 3-game series with someone and for most of the conference (everyone except ORU and Omaha), that extra series is away.
ORU has always had a really good baseball team (28 NCAA tournament appearances, averaged 700+ attendance at home games in 2019), and they are able to host 3-game series' against Saint Louis, Pacific, and Dallas Baptist (1 OOC away series at Ole Miss).
Omaha is hosting series with Valpo and Rutgers (and have away series at San Jose State and Southern Cal)
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

Brownlee came from Iowa since he's gone maybe they don't want to come over anymore. 
Western_101

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:13 am

Because I was curious, here's a comparison to previous years (I assume we can't control the Summit League schedule for the most part, so I'm just looking at OOC mostly):
2022 - first home game is 3/15, 4 non-conference home games, all DI games (Morehead State, Illinois State, a H&H with SIUE, H&H with EIU), 16 total home games
2021 - weird scheduling due to COVID, but 16 home games
2020 - what was supposed to be before many games were cancelled...first home game 3/10, 5 non-conference home games (NAIA Clarke, NAIA St. Ambrose, NAIA Iowa Wesleyan, EIU, H&H with SIUE), would have been 20 home games
2019 - first home game 3/16, 5 non-conf home games (NAIA Iowa Wesleyan, NAIA St. Ambrose, H&H with Bradley, H&H with SIUE, H&H with Iowa), 20 scheduled home games
2018 - first home game 3/17, 7/6 non-conf home games (NAIA St. Ambrose, DII Maryville, Illinois State, Missouri [cancelled], H&H with Bradley, H&H with SIUE, H&H with Iowa), 22 scheduled home games

It doesn't look like the H&H series with Iowa has been scheduled since 2019. Now, 2021 was different scheduling anyway, but 2020 we weren't scheduled to host them (we were scheduled to play there in April, but everything after mid-March was cancelled, and there wasn't a return game scheduled that season for them).

Differences in conference makeup between 2018 and today: Fort Wayne left, Northern Colorado joined as a baseball affiliate, St. Thomas joined as a full member.
This year, we have a series of 3 H&H in the conference with NDSU and Northern Colorado, we play 3 at South Dakota State and St. Thomas, and we host 3 against Oral Roberts and Omaha. So probably the conference schedule is broken down into 2 H&H series, 2 away series, and 2 home series (works out to 12 home, 12 away).
In the last "regularly scheduled" season (2020), we would have had H&H series with Fort Wayne, SDSU, ORU, NDSU and Omaha (works out to 15 home, 15 away).
So, I think at least part of that difference is having one more baseball team in the conference has caused the schedule to have to adjust to a different setup with fewer total conference games.

In 2020, we had our 4 away 3-game series to start the season (Tennessee, Butler, Memphis, Missouri), but other than some 1-off games stuck in wherever they fit, that was it besides the 10 conference 3-game series'.
In 2022, we have our 4 away 3-game series to start the season (Western KY, UALR, UNC-Charlotte, Butler), but only have 8 conference 3-game series', so they were also able to schedule a late-season 3-game series at Murray State.
Again, looks like the conference schedule changed and we just had to adjust as best we could.

I took a quick glance at NDSU's baseball schedule this season for comparison, and they have a similar setup. They have 15 home games scheduled this season (don't start outdoors there until April 8). 2 H&H 3-game series, 2 away series, 2 home series (in the conference). OOC is 4 3-game series, conference schedule, plus a late season 3-game series at Miami, and the various 1-off games wherever they fit.

So, it looks like everyone had to pick up an extra 3-game series with someone and for most of the conference (everyone except ORU and Omaha), that extra series is away.
ORU has always had a really good baseball team (28 NCAA tournament appearances, averaged 700+ attendance at home games in 2019), and they are able to host 3-game series' against Saint Louis, Pacific, and Dallas Baptist (1 OOC away series at Ole Miss).
Omaha is hosting series with Valpo and Rutgers (and have away series at San Jose State and Southern Cal)

Thanks for breaking it down, you are a man of diligence and details!  
Western_101

leatherneckcountry wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:33 am

Brownlee came from Iowa since he's gone maybe they don't want to come over anymore. 

Interesting, I hadn't considered that.
wiu bb 31

Everybody up north basically heads south for the first month of the season, which by and large creates the larger amount of road games.  ISU has 33 away and 21 home, EIU, has 33 away and 20 home.