Updates to improvements around campus

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Just wanted to let people know about a few of the improvements going on around campus.

School of Agriculture is building a new greenhouse near part of the University farm out by the golf course: http://www.wiu.edu/vpas/fm/greenhouse.php
Here's some more info and photos of the Center for Performing Arts Parking Lot (formerly marching band practice field): http://www.wiu.edu/vpas/fm/CPA_ParkingLot.php
The Thompson Hall lobby has also been remodeled, and looks really nice now: http://www.wiu.edu/vpas/fm/thompson_lobby.php

All of that, in addition to the general repairing of roads, sidewalks (they did a lot of work creating easier to use/handicap accessible curbs and walkways this summer), finishing up the next phase of the Union remodeling (there's some new photos of it on this page), etc.
So, for those of you out of town, if you make it back this football season for any games, maybe make a point of checking out some of the new stuff.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Video of the Union remodeling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smeYlag4300
Neckfansince71

We were on campus Saturday and even though it was cloudy with light rain at times it did not stop us from walking through the union and seeing the updated and redesigned areas. They have done a really really good job with this project. The north porch/balcony really turned out classy. The large pedestals which I think double as air intakes have been finished as the pictures show with the WIU symbol. The landscaping of that area is complete with sod and trees, and there are nice plantings as always in the middle of the "ash tray" and at the lower entrance to the union itself. There are flowers and plantings in purple and gold, and prairie grasses where ever you look. My wife, who is a bit more picky than I am really thought campus looked great, basically all dressed up and waiting for the students to arrive. The new CPA parking lot is coming along nicely. It is all graded, with gravel and the curbed islands for lighting are being poured. That street though is in very bad shape and I am wondering when it will be resurfaced. I talked with some people in the know regarding the CPA and found out that the bids will be opened in October and the single bid contractor selected with construction to begin after the first of the year. I am really curious about where the staging area will be for this structure. There will be cameras located in Corbin and Memorial which will allow those interested a chance to watch the construction process. The hope is to make the CPA not only a WIU facility, but a regional facility open to the public for high school graduations and other productions. We did not get a chance to see Thompson Hall's new reception area and did not make the drive to the new green house, basically because the bridge over the Lamoine is out at Wig Wam Hollow Road. I have more to say about the Purple and Gold Auction and will use another topic page for that, but the set-up in Western Hall was very classy and the food was really good! My wife said that she was surprised at how good the food was as the Campaign dinner and once again, was surprised at how good the food was at the Purple and Gold! Finally, the Macomb Wallmart is one of the best we have ever been in. The Wallmart in Glen Ellyn does not even compare.....There are a ton of WIU shirts and novelties, and any kind of household good you could imagine. Guess I am beginning to sound like an "old person" but oh well! ;) jc out!
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Neckfansince71 wrote:We were on campus Saturday and even though it was cloudy with light rain at times it did not stop us from walking through the union and seeing the updated and redesigned areas. They have done a really really good job with this project. The north porch/balcony really turned out classy. The large pedestals which I think double as air intakes have been finished as the pictures show with the WIU symbol. The landscaping of that area is complete with sod and trees, and there are nice plantings as always in the middle of the "ash tray" and at the lower entrance to the union itself. There are flowers and plantings in purple and gold, and prairie grasses where ever you look. My wife, who is a bit more picky than I am really thought campus looked great, basically all dressed up and waiting for the students to arrive. The new CPA parking lot is coming along nicely. It is all graded, with gravel and the curbed islands for lighting are being poured. That street though is in very bad shape and I am wondering when it will be resurfaced. I talked with some people in the know regarding the CPA and found out that the bids will be opened in October and the single bid contractor selected with construction to begin after the first of the year. I am really curious about where the staging area will be for this structure. There will be cameras located in Corbin and Memorial which will allow those interested a chance to watch the construction process. The hope is to make the CPA not only a WIU facility, but a regional facility open to the public for high school graduations and other productions. We did not get a chance to see Thompson Hall's new reception area and did not make the drive to the new green house, basically because the bridge over the Lamoine is out at Wig Wam Hollow Road. I have more to say about the Purple and Gold Auction and will use another topic page for that, but the set-up in Western Hall was very classy and the food was really good! My wife said that she was surprised at how good the food was as the Campaign dinner and once again, was surprised at how good the food was at the Purple and Gold! Finally, the Macomb Wallmart is one of the best we have ever been in. The Wallmart in Glen Ellyn does not even compare.....There are a ton of WIU shirts and novelties, and any kind of household good you could imagine. Guess I am beginning to sound like an "old person" but oh well! ;) jc out!
Macomb High has had their graduation ceremony at Western Hall since ~'95 or '96, so I could see them moving that to the new CPA once it's done.

I agree that the new Union stuff looks really nice. You are correct that the pedestals are air intakes for the ventilation system, and I believe that the WIU logos on them are actually removable boards. So if they decide they'd rather have a block W logo, or Rocky, or a new logo later on, they can put that up there instead. There's still a lot more that they're planning on doing with the Union (if you look at the renderings, you can see another section next to the newest stuff that will be added on in the future), but it doesn't really look "unfinished" in any way. This is probably a good stopping point for the next year or so until they can secure more $ for the project.

Wigwam Hollow Road Bridge - yea, it's been out since April...a pretty big pain for me personally, since I pretty much work right on one side of the river, and live right on the other side. With the bridge, it's a 3 minute drive home (or a 10 minute walk)...without the bridge, I get to head north on the highway and take Tower road in past the golf course and stuff. But it'll be really nice when it's done, at least. Much wider, much safer (you could look down through the old bridge and see the river through some of the holes in the road there), plus it'll be roughly 5-8 feet higher than the old bridge, so it'll be MUCH less likely to flood...something that used to happen maybe every 3-4 years or so. At this point there, there's not much to see at the new greenhouse. All the stuff that is currently built is foundation structures that are mostly below or at ground level. It's projected to be done by November 1st, so if you come to town for any of the conference home games this season, there should be a decent amount of progress done by then.
WIU0812

I see they added a new section on the current projects that highlights the landscaping projects around campus. The new bike areas look very nice. http://www.wiu.edu/vpas/fm/projects.php. I am surprised they have not put anything up highlighting the horn field campus project as I know they are adding a new building out there. Nothing huge, but I think it was a double wide modular building that was to replace one of the run down units.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU0812 wrote:I see they added a new section on the current projects that highlights the landscaping projects around campus. The new bike areas look very nice. http://www.wiu.edu/vpas/fm/projects.php. I am surprised they have not put anything up highlighting the horn field campus project as I know they are adding a new building out there. Nothing huge, but I think it was a double wide modular building that was to replace one of the run down units.
Just FYI, in this instance..."they" = me. This is one of the sites that I work on.
I haven't heard anything from Facilities Management about Horn Field, but I'll send them an email and see if they have anything they want me to post about it. I'll let you know what I hear back.
WIU0812

That makes sense, ya I believe it is out there now and it may be almost done, but was basically just a double wide building that was being put together. Still is an addition to one of WIU's facilities and could be added to show off what has been completed. Here is some info on it looks like it was $84,500. http://www.procure.stateuniv.state.il.u ... 9384213987
wiu712

Happy National Dog Day to Western's Colonel Rock III :)
https://www.facebook.com/WIUwomenshoops ... =1&theater
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Here's some info on the Horn Field Campus project: http://www.wiu.edu/vpas/fm/hornfield.php
WIU0812

I would have to imagine the CPA Parking lot would be getting close to being finished since they were predicting an October completion date. I do know that they are putting a couple of brick pillars with a W on them at the intersection there as a small entry point marker.