Let's Talk Football

GV Dad

It's been pretty quiet lately, so let's have a little discussion.  

1) What is your guess for our 2022 record?
2) What progress would you like to see from the team/staff in 2022?
3) What is your realistic "best case" outcome for the season?
4) How many games are you planning/hoping to attend this season?

My answers...

1) 5-6 record.  
2) Increased discipline and improved play calling.  No stupid penalties or missed assignments.  
3) I'm not 100% buying UT Martin, Missouri State and UNI being as good as their ranking.  I think if we play well and catch some breaks these are winnable games.  So my best case record would be 7-4.   
4) Season ticket holder, and have plans to make all the road games as well.  
WIU2DC

GV Dad wrote:It's been pretty quiet lately, so let's have a little discussion.  

My answers...

1) 5-6 record.  
2) Increased discipline and improved play calling.  No stupid penalties or missed assignments.  
3) I'm not 100% buying UT Martin, Missouri State and UNI being as good as their ranking.  I think if we play well and catch some breaks these are winnable games.  So my best case record would be 7-4.   
1. 5-6
2. Every game we are competitive in excluding NDSU, SDSU, Minnesota
3. 6-5 or 7-4 with an upset we “shouldn’t get”
4. UT Martin (going to the Utah @ UF game that Saturday too) and hopefully a home game in October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GV Dad

WIU2DC wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:09 am
GV wrote:It's been pretty quiet lately, so let's have a little discussion.  

My answers...

1) 5-6 record.  
1. 5-6
4. UT Martin (going to the Utah @ UF game that Saturday too) and hopefully a home game in October.

You're more than welcome to join our Family Tailgate at Martin!  Message me closer to game day and I'll give you details.

WIU2DC

GV Dad wrote:
WIU2DC wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:09 am
GV wrote:It's been pretty quiet lately, so let's have a little discussion.  

My answers...

1) 5-6 record.  
1. 5-6

You're more than welcome to join our Family Tailgate at Martin!  Message me closer to game day and I'll give you details.

Thanks! I’ll def message you when we get closer

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 4:16 am It's been pretty quiet lately, so let's have a little discussion.  

1. 4-7....I'm hopeful for better than that, but I feel like the turnaround is going to take a couple of years. Like, 4-7 this year, 6-5 the next year, maybe 8 wins the following.
2. A running game
3. 6-5
4. Might have to actually miss a couple of home games this year. It's my daughter's first year in HS marching band, and some of the games overlap with out of town competitions. I know I'll be at the SUU game (9/17), might be at the UNI game (9/24) depending on timing, I think I'm required to be at Homecoming (for the alumni band) even though I would be missing a MB competition. I'll be at the 11/12 NDSU game, and I'm going to try to go to the 11/19 game at ILSU. Thankfully most of the games that overlap with MB competitions are away games and I wouldn't normally go to them.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Mheller

GV Dad wrote:It's been pretty quiet lately, so let's have a little discussion.  

My answers...

1) 5-6 record.  
Here are my random thoughts for what they’re worth…

1. 6-5. I really think the new staff (and especially Coach Hen) are connecting with the players in a deep & meaningful way. That in and of itself should help the team to dig deep and pull out wins against good teams. When my son played in high school his sophomore year they went 3-9. Then there was a coaching change. His junior year the team went 9-3 with mostly the same players. Creating a real bond with players helps a coach to win.

2. I would also like to see more discipline, less penalties and hopefully some creativity on offense. And an increased focus on defense. If we played strong D last year against Eastern Washington we would have upset the #6 team in the nation.

3. Best case, 7-4. Again, we were winning in the first half of the South Dakota State game last year. We can beat good teams if we’re disciplined and play a full 4 quarters.

4. I plan on attending 6 games including the first 3. However getting to the Mid-West from California isn’t easy…

Go Necks!

sealhall74

1) What is your guess for our 2022 record? 4-7

Run the ball or at least try to run the ball.  Last few years, we did not even try.  The only way to improve something is to do it.
Not sure we are going to have a gunslinger this year so we might have to run it more.
Fewer penalties on both sides of ball, stepping up more in big play situtations.  Seems like most went against us last couple of years.

We knock off a couple of teams in the upper tier of conference standings just to prove we can.

All home games, on the road, maybe Gophers and Jacks (like to hang out with Old Hare and his wife and sample the Dairy Bar offerings)  ;)
 )

Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:54 pm 1) What is your guess for our 2022 record? 4-7

Run the ball or at least try to run the ball.  Last few years, we did not even try.  The only way to improve something is to do it.
Not sure we are going to have a gunslinger this year so we might have to run it more.
Fewer penalties on both sides of ball, stepping up more in big play situtations.  Seems like most went against us last couple of years.

We knock off a couple of teams in the upper tier of conference standings just to prove we can.

All home games, on the road, maybe Gophers and Jacks (like to hang out with Old Hare and his wife and sample the Dairy Bar offerings)  ;)
 )

I agree pretty much with sealhall74. One thing I do want to note, though, is that it seems like the team has already become more visible in the community - maybe they did the same type of things before but nobody posted about it, I don't know. It just seems like Coach Hen is really into making these guys community focused, which will serve them and the places they end up living very well. He certainly seems to be focusing on making these gentlemen well rounded people, and that will only help them in the future.