9/17/22 - vs Southern Utah

sealhall74

wiu712 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:25 am The person who operates the loud music has the potential to cost Western a 15-yard penalty.

The music is to be shut down when the Offense approaches the line.  But that did not always happen.  Southern Utah ran 2 plays with the loud music blaring over the speakers.

And why is that loud music being played when the Western Band is playing at the same time ???  We could not hear the Band playing the Fight Song or "Hot Time" after our touchdown because of the loud music coming out of the speakers.

You need to come over and sit where we were sitting (10 feet away from the band surrounded by mostly by TBird fans).  The director of the band was reminding eveyone to stop on cue to avoid any chance of penalty.  But on the subject of things that need fixed alongside the offense, of course,  we need more hotdogs.  Ran out at halftime on south end (close to the booze where it matters most, also ran out of  Moscato there so wife was not happy).  No hot dogs, so I had to settle for Dominoes pizza and those 2 slices were the smallest slices of pizza that I have ever seen.  I did not measure them, but if I would judge them about 1/8th of a personal pan pizza size.  lol

Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

letsgonecks wrote:
leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:52 pm There's not a QB in the world that can play behind this line are line is worse then last season. Are DLine is awful as well you win and lose games along the line. I hope we are looking for a RB with speed our best RB can't be a QB.

Never thought I'd miss Elliotts jet sweeps, but might need to go with those and work in keeps and the balls down the seem.  Running with backs is not an option, this line doesn't not clear space.

Not that it would have worked, but they needed to sub Davenport in for the hail marry.

That was exactly my thought after the game (with regards to the last play). Bruno runs really well for a QB and is ok at throwing, but for something like that, you really just need arm strength to get it to the end zone. Davenport isn’t very consistent, but he does have a strong arm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
RiderJake

sealhall74 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:54 am
wiu712 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:25 am The person who operates the loud music has the potential to cost Western a 15-yard penalty.

The music is to be shut down when the Offense approaches the line.  But that did not always happen.  Southern Utah ran 2 plays with the loud music blaring over the speakers.

And why is that loud music being played when the Western Band is playing at the same time ???  We could not hear the Band playing the Fight Song or "Hot Time" after our touchdown because of the loud music coming out of the speakers.

You need to come over and sit where we were sitting (10 feet away from the band surrounded by mostly by TBird fans).  The director of the band was reminding eveyone to stop on cue to avoid any chance of penalty.  But on the subject of things that need fixed alongside the offense, of course,  we need more hotdogs.  Ran out at halftime on south end (close to the booze where it matters most, also ran out of  Moscato there so wife was not happy).  No hot dogs, so I had to settle for Dominoes pizza and those 2 slices were the smallest slices of pizza that I have ever seen.  I did not measure them, but if I would judge them about 1/8th of a personal pan pizza size.  lol

Apparently, it was still a sporting event, not a culinary one  :lol:
 I usually take sandwiches with me so I don't have to eat something I don't understand...
GV Dad

WIU2DC wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:27 pm

Who is the OL joining the trench’s this weekend?

Sid Fugar.  Didn't help much. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sealhall74

Since the Nielson/Nikko Watson days, not much has changed IMHO.  No sustainable running attack, hence the need to use gadget plays like jets sweeps and QB draws and scrambles.  If we are that weak up front, I get it.  But we are 100% rebuilding now.  Wins should be secondary to playing sound football, with balanced run/pass and formations designed for the run when applicable.  The Pistol and shotgun are not running formations IMHO.  Might work if you have a very speedy and elusive RB but I dont think we are there.
wiu712

Late touchdown pass propels SUU T-Birds to road win at Western Illinois.
From the Cedar City News:
https://www.cedarcityutah.com/news/arch ... yiWzXbMLIU

sealhall74

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:04 am Since the Nielson/Nikko Watson days, not much has changed IMHO.  No sustainable running attack, hence the need to use gadget plays like jets sweeps and QB draws and scrambles.  If we are that weak up front, I get it.  But we are 100% rebuilding now.  Wins should be secondary to playing sound football, with balanced run/pass and formations designed for the run when applicable.  The Pistol and shotgun are not running formations IMHO.  Might work if you have a very speedy and elusive RB but I dont think we are there.

Update:  Nikko appears to be working at Deere here in the QC and doing some assistant coaching at Rocky High.  I think Nielson did a pretty good using his strengths and he was a bundle to get down.  5th all-time leading rusher in program history.  Rushed for 163 against the Jacks.  Lets get him into the HOF sooner rather than later.

letsgonecks

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:04 am Since the Nielson/Nikko Watson days, not much has changed IMHO.  No sustainable running attack, hence the need to use gadget plays like jets sweeps and QB draws and scrambles.  If we are that weak up front, I get it.  But we are 100% rebuilding now.  Wins should be secondary to playing sound football, with balanced run/pass and formations designed for the run when applicable.  The Pistol and shotgun are not running formations IMHO.  Might work if you have a very speedy and elusive RB but I dont think we are there.

Jet sweeps aren't necessarily gadget plays and can be used very effectively, with the proper personnel.  Elliott was using them with a QB that had no chance of keeping and running the ball if the defense bit hard.  Even worse, Sampson probably only 10 time in his 3 years threw the ball over the middle or down the seem more than 10 yards.  Totally defeating the purpose of getting the LB's moving, something we haven't been able to do with traditional play action, because there is no run threat.

If we're going to stick with Bruno who's not really a gunslinger and since we can't run the ball traditionally, this might be our best bet.  The motion across the field forces the ends/OLB's to contain and the backers to diagnose.  This can open up things up just a bit up the middle for our backs and allow for QB keepers the other direction.  A little of both of those will create a lot of pressure on opposing LB's and open things up over the middle at the intermediate passing level, where Bruno is more likely to thrive.    

I'm not a huge fan of this option type offense and don't want it to be the future, but the hand we're dealt right now.  Depth at the WR position might be our strongest point, so plenty of subs to move in and out running all those jets. 

Maybe we'd be even worse as our OL would be pushed back anyways and shutting things down or it would be impossible efficiently install now to have any success.  Just don't see anything positive right now on offense, outside of Qb's running a bit and Brantley being a stud.  By the way, he'd run through some DB arm tackles full speed off the edge on jets.........   

sealhall74

Another guy from the recent past who had IMO lots of wasted potential was Max Norris.  He was a real slasher, give him a sliver of daylight in the line and he would get you 3 or 4 yards as he was very strong even with his rather short stature.  But every damn year, it was like he was running behind the Wall of China or something having to search out the dinkiest of daylight up front, usually forced to bounce it outside but that was not his forte.  Nielson recruit if I recall correctly.

RiderJake

wiu712 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:23 am Late touchdown pass propels SUU T-Birds to road win at Western Illinois.
From the Cedar City News:
https://www.cedarcityutah.com/news/arch ... yiWzXbMLIUhere

I wonder how they did it. It should have been a defeat.

Last edited by RiderJake on Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.