At North Dakota

wiu712

Sports Chat Place has North Dakota as a 3-point favorite in Thursday's game.  Game time is 11:00 AM.
https://sportschatplace.com/college-bas ... s-2-23-23/

Neckfansince71

What's is with the 11:00 am. start time?  jc
sealhall74

Neckfansince71 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:56 am What's is with the 11:00 am. start time?  jc

I think there is a conflict with High School sports activities.  Messes up my schedule too.  The Fish On the Hook food truck is in town today and I will have to wait until after the game to enjoy that good ole fish and chips with extra fish.   ;)

I got us down 6 in this one, but it sure would be nice not to limp into Sioux Falls next week:

{
  Game: 'Matchup',
  team1: { id: 'Western Ill.', score: 65.566 },
  team2: { id: 'North Dakota', score: 71.49 },
}

On the plus side, the Wife and I are going to try to get to both Minerva's and the Brazilian Steak place while there.

Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:18 amI think there is a conflict with High School sports activities.

Seal Hall is correct.  There will be a North Dakota Girls High School Basketball State Tournament Regional double-header tonight at The Betty.

sealhall74

Two fairly evenly matched teams on the floor today.  We played well throughout with the exception of a couple of fouls here and there which were not wise.  Had to go a little deep on the bench cause of that.  The Mazz hit some incredible shots to never allow the FHawks any momentum.  On to Fargo.  I think a 3 seed might still be on the table but not 100% sure of that. 
wiu712

Western wins 81-70.

Trenton Massner led the Western scoring with 34 points.  He went 16 for 23 on his field goals.

Alec Rosner had 16 points.  Quinlan Bennett and Luk Stevanik each had 10 points.  

Jesiah West had 13 rebounds.

Attendance at North Dakota = 1,271

The final game of the regular season will be at North Dakota State on Saturday (Feb 25).  Game time is 1:00 PM.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:44 pm Two fairly evenly matched teams on the floor today.  We played well throughout with the exception of a couple of fouls here and there which were not wise.  Had to go a little deep on the bench cause of that.  The Mazz hit some incredible shots to never allow the FHawks any momentum.  On to Fargo.  I think a 3 seed might still be on the table but not 100% sure of that. 

Massner has really had UND's number this season. He's averaged 40 points per game against the Hawks.

As for the standings, ORU and SDSU have #1 and #2 locked up. From there, it just depends on how the next couple of days shakes out. Currently, UST and NDSU are tied at 9-7, and we're right behind at 9-8. UST plays at NDSU tonight, so the winner there will be 10-7 and the loser will be 9-8 and tied with us. Then on Saturday, we play at NDSU and UST plays at UND.

The #3 seed is still on the table for us if UST loses tonight and Saturday, and we win Saturday. In that case, 3, 4, and 5 are WIU, NDSU, UST.
The #4 seed is still on the table for us if UST wins tonight and we win Saturday. We have the tiebreaker over NDSU, so regardless of what happens with UST and UND on Saturday, we'd end up ahead of NDSU. Might still be a possibility in a few other scenarios, depending on further tiebreakers (where NDSU ends up #3, WIU and UST end up with the same record and having split the games against each other).

If we lose Saturday, we're either #4 or #5.
If we win Saturday, we're either #3 or #4.

If UST wins tonight, we're either #4 or #5.
If UST loses tonight, we could finish in any of #3, #4, or #5.

So, if you're paying attention to tonight's UST @ NDSU game, I think we want UST to lose. But the biggest difference is going to be if we win Saturday. We do that, we have a first round bye in the conference tournament for sure.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Ok, so far so good. NDSU took down UST tonight 73-64.
Current standings in the 3-5 range are:
#3 NDSU - 10-7
#4/#5 UST - 9-8
#4/#5 WIU - 9-8

I looked up the tiebreaking procedures and...
  1. Head-to-head record.
  2. Record against the top-seeded team not involved in the tie, going down through the standings until the tie is broken.
If WIU wins: WIU 10-8, NDSU 10-8
If WIU loses: WIU 9-9, NDSU 11-7
If UST wins: UST 10-8
If UST loses: UST 9-9

If WIU wins and UST wins - WIU 10-8, UST 10-8, NDSU 10-8 - #3 WIU, #4 UST, #5 NDSU
If WIU wins and UST loses - WIU 10-8, UST 9-9, NDSU 10-8 - #3 WIU, #4 NDSU, #5 UST
If WIU loses and UST wins - WIU 9-9, UST 10-8, NDSU 11-7 - #3 NDSU, #4 UST, #5 WIU
If WIU loses and UST loses - WIU 9-9, UST 9-9, NDSU 11-7 - #3 NDSU, #4 WIU, #5 UST

In terms of tiebreakers:
  • in the first scenario (we win and UST wins), we beat NDSU both times H2H, so we are ahead of them, then we work down to how each of us did against NDSU (we won both, UST split)
  • in the fourth scenario (we lose and UST loses), you actually have to work all the way down to current #7 USD...we split with them, UST lost both their games against them.
If we win this Saturday, we are the #3 seed against #6...currently KC, winner of that game playing probably SDSU. If we lose, both us and UST are #4 and #5 and we'll play them...winner probably plays ORU.

Also, I was incorrect previously when I said that the top 4 get a first round bye...the top 6 actually get a first round bye. We are going to play our first game Sunday night, but order determines whether we play UST, NDSU, or probably KC. Bracket is here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/thesummitleagu ... racket.pdf

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

North Dakota State beat Saint Thomas 73-64

North Dakota State is in 3rd (10-7).

Western and Saint Thomas are tied for 4th (9-8).

sealhall74

I think there is some jockeying for position rules in play.  Assuming you get past your quarterfinal, would you rather play #1 ORU or #2 SDSU in the semifinal?  Tough call.  I still think SDSU is the most difficult team to beat at the Denny.  They are pretty much back to full strength.  Their crowd is very intimidating.  ORU has looked very beatable last couple of times out.  I think I would rather face ORU in the semis.

Jacks board says if USD beats KC, then USD gets #6 seed.  If that is true, yet another reason the #3 seed might not be the best route to championship.  All * Dakota teams are tough to beat at the Denny.  They all have a pretty decent "6th Man".