2023 Baseball

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:19 pm Northern Colorado dispatched Omaha via the 10 run rule today.  So  lets win this one and control our own destiny this weekend.

Last I saw, we're tied up at 3 in the 5th inning.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
bignecks

We're down 6-4 now with runners on base, big AB. I would've went to the game, but thought the series started tomorrow. 
bignecks

breaking: Bubb is an analytics guy
sealhall74

ORU takes game 1 7-4.  Somewhat surprised we did not go with our best ERA pitcher in Armstrong but at least he should be fresh tomorrow.  You kind of wonder what goes into the thinking of who to pitch when.  Omaha got blown out early.  Would that change your strategy during our game? Maybe.  But we were in this one until the end with Kratz and Bell on the mound.

Embrace the pace of the race.
bignecks

I'm really happy Krantz could eat some innings. That leaves Armstrong and Kapraun to finish it. And Jack Bell should have a few innings left. Oral Roberts pitched their third best starter today who has a better ERA than any of our guys. If we can hit the other two like we did him we might have a shot to win the next two and get into the playoffs. Assuming Northern Colorado holds the tiekeeper by dominating our season series, we have to win both and have NCU/Omaha split the remaining games. 
sealhall74

bignecks wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:12 pm I'm really happy Krantz could eat some innings. That leaves Armstrong and Kapraun to finish it. And Jack Bell should have a few innings left. Oral Roberts pitched their third best starter today who has a better ERA than any of our guys. If we can hit the other two like we did him we might have a shot to win the next two and get into the playoffs. Assuming Northern Colorado holds the tiekeeper by dominating our season series, we have to win both and have NCU/Omaha split the remaining games. 

Assuming healthy, I would have went with Armstrong on Thursday with the hope of winning that one and getting two or three more innings from him on Satruday.  Instead, he never got the chance to pitch in a meaningful situation in the most important series of the season.

wiu712

Western Baseball dropped all 3 games vs #12 Oral Roberts.

Western finishes the season with a 12-40 overall record and 8-16 in the Summit League.  Western finished tied with Northern Colorado for 5th place in the conference.  

That is an improvement from last year:  8-44 overall record and 5-19 in the Summit League.
meganeck

leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:47 am
ST_Lawson wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:21 am Looks like the Baseball HC job has been posted: https://wiu.interviewexchange.com/jobof ... BID=162389

Sheriff was the interim HC anyway, so this wasn't a surprise.

I find it interesting that we’re getting commits and we don’t even know who the coach is going to be.

So weird, how they continue to get commitments makes you wonder what is really going on.

meganeck

meganeck wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 11:23 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:21 am Looks like the Baseball HC job has been posted: https://wiu.interviewexchange.com/jobof ... BID=162389

Sheriff was the interim HC anyway, so this wasn't a surprise.

I find it interesting that we’re getting commits and we don’t even know who the coach is going to be.

So weird, how they continue to get commitments makes you wonder what is really going on. I've seen I think 3 commitments in the past week

sealhall74

meganeck wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 11:24 pm
meganeck wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 11:23 pm

So weird, how they continue to get commitments makes you wonder what is really going on. I've seen I think 3 commitments in the past week

The $64K question to ask is did any of them have other D1 offers?  Lately, I would ask the same question for all of our programs.  D1 is where all kids want to play, especially if there is an solid academic program that interests them.  If you got zero other D1 offers, you probably dont care who the coach is.