Is the HC's seat starting to get a little warm?

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Idk about anyone else, but I feel like I'm starting to get a little bit worried for JD's job. Let me start off by saying, I think he's a great guy personally, and have never had a bad interaction with him, and I think that many others feel the same way. I have no insight into his interactions with the team themselves.

Looking at our women's team over the the last few years, things haven't been going the way that most Leatherneck fans would probably like them to have gone.
The 2016/17 season was the year we won the conference regular season title, then the conference tournament title, and played at Florida State in the NCAA tournament.
Since then we've had the following:
17/18 - 22-10, 10-4 in conference, finished 3rd, went 1-1 in conference tournament, played in WNIT
18/19 - 12-18, 8-8 in conference, finished 5th, 0-1 in conference tournament
19/20 - 15-15, 9-7 in conference, finished tied for 3rd, 0-1 in conference tournament
20/21 - 8-16, 6-8 in conference, finished 5th, 1-1 in conference tournament
21/22 - 14-15, 5-13 in conference, finished 7th, 0-1 in conference tournament
Then this year, 10-19 in the regular season, 5-13 in conference, finished 9th, probably either 1-1 or 0-1 in the conference tournament

32-50 (.390) overall in the last three years
16-34 (.320) in the conference in that span
1 conference tournament win in 4 years although with the new format and us at #9 going against the #8 to start the tournament, we have a decent chance for another. With the winner going against #1 SDSU, I don't see us pulling off any more than that though. In past years, without UST, we'd have been #8, and going against #1 SDSU.

I get that we are at a distinct disadvantage in terms of recruiting compared with pretty much everyone else in the conference. They all either have significantly better facilities than us, are located in much larger cities, or both.

I guess what I'm wondering is:
  1. What do you think the team needs to do over the next couple of years for Gravina's seat to cool off again?
  2. If the team doesn't improve and stays around the 7th-9th range, how long do you think things go until the AD decides it's time to move on?
  3. Or, do you think that because of what he's done in the past and his relationships with the community, that it's his job until he decides to step down, regardless of the team's on-court performance?
Keep in mind, he did take us to only our second ever NCAA tournament (even if it was 6 years ago), and is #2 for WIU Women's BBall coaches in terms of winning % (he's .002 behind #1 Bea Yeager) and in total wins (22 behind #1 Leslie Crane).

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:23 pm Idk about anyone else, but I feel like I'm starting to get a little bit worried for JD's job. Let me start off by saying, I think he's a great guy personally, and have never had a bad interaction with him, and I think that many others feel the same way. I have no insight into his interactions with the team themselves.

Looking at our women's team over the the last few years, things haven't been going the way that most Leatherneck fans would probably like them to have gone.
The 2016/17 season was the year we won the conference regular season title, then the conference tournament title, and played at Florida State in the NCAA tournament.
Since then we've had the following:
17/18 - 22-10, 10-4 in conference, finished 3rd, went 1-1 in conference tournament, played in WNIT
18/19 - 12-18, 8-8 in conference, finished 5th, 0-1 in conference tournament
19/20 - 15-15, 9-7 in conference, finished tied for 3rd, 0-1 in conference tournament
20/21 - 8-16, 6-8 in conference, finished 5th, 1-1 in conference tournament
21/22 - 14-15, 5-13 in conference, finished 7th, 0-1 in conference tournament
Then this year, 10-19 in the regular season, 5-13 in conference, finished 9th, probably either 1-1 or 0-1 in the conference tournament

32-50 (.390) overall in the last three years
16-34 (.320) in the conference in that span
1 conference tournament win in 4 years although with the new format and us at #9 going against the #8 to start the tournament, we have a decent chance for another. With the winner going against #1 SDSU, I don't see us pulling off any more than that though. In past years, without UST, we'd have been #8, and going against #1 SDSU.

I get that we are at a distinct disadvantage in terms of recruiting compared with pretty much everyone else in the conference. They all either have significantly better facilities than us, are located in much larger cities, or both.

I guess what I'm wondering is:
  1. What do you think the team needs to do over the next couple of years for Gravina's seat to cool off again?
  2. If the team doesn't improve and stays around the 7th-9th range, how long do you think things go until the AD decides it's time to move on?
  3. Or, do you think that because of what he's done in the past and his relationships with the community, that it's his job until he decides to step down, regardless of the team's on-court performance?
Keep in mind, he did take us to only our second ever NCAA tournament (even if it was 6 years ago), and is #2 for WIU Women's BBall coaches in terms of winning % (he's .002 behind #1 Bea Yeager) and in total wins (22 behind #1 Leslie Crane).

This team was pretty young this year as well pg has been a big weakness since O graduated. If were able to keep everyone Elizabeth will be the only one we lose with major minutes. We have a pretty good player coming in from missouri. If we address the pg spot i think we could be pretty  good again next year.

sealhall74

Find a couple of 6'2"+ gals (preferably one out of HS and one transfer) that few D1s have much interest in and make them a project.
We need size to compete against SDSU.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:38 pm This team was pretty young this year as well pg has been a big weakness since O graduated. If were able to keep everyone Elizabeth will be the only one we lose with major minutes. We have a pretty good player coming in from missouri. If we address the pg spot i think we could be pretty  good again next year.

That's a good point. Lutz is done, who is obviously the "big name" on the team this year, and Jayda Adams as well, who unfortunately has had to spend a lot of her collegiate career recovering from injuries, but most of the team should be back.

I had forgotten that many of the players would have gotten a "free COVID year", so "seniors" like Alissa Dins and Carla Flores should have a year left. Junior Anna Deets was the only Leatherneck named to any of the All-Conference teams (honorable mention). Obviously next year's chances hinge strongly on which players hit the portal, which stick around, and who we are able to bring in to replace the portal players...as well as the direction of other teams in the conference.

I hope JD is able to get things back on track after a rough few years. I miss the really exciting games we had 5-6 years ago. It'd be nice to have both basketball teams doing well at the same time.

meganeck

I was actually just thinking about this today, if JD's job might be in jeopardy, especially with a new AD, not sure what the AD's relationship is with JD or what he thinks of him, but wondered if he might want to bring in his own coach.  I for one think JD is a great guy and good coach and hope he sticks around. I would be disappointed if they got rid of him. Not sure what his contract is but as always with WIU can we afford to get rid of him and what kind of coach could they bring in.

It seems we have struggled basically since Clemens left, also i wonder how much losing Seth Minter has hurt, things seemed to have gone down since he left. I've been disappointed that they couldn't continue the run they had when they were competing with South Dakota St and South Dakota. USD is down, at least this year and the North Dakota schools seem to be on the rise. I do remember reading where JD said this past recruiting class, which would be the Brownfield class and this upcoming class are the best back to back classes he has had, and I can't remember if he said ever at WIU or just in a while. Anyway I hope they keep him and hope most everybody comes back and they can get things turned around.
LeatherCy

Agree with others that JD is a good guy and has been good in the community. But the figures Scott posted speak for themselves. If his contract is up I'd bet Paul finds a new coach. It won't take long. 

IMO JD has gotten lazy in recruiting. He told me a year ago when a girl he  lost a girl he was recruiting to Bradley "We can't compete with Bradley academically?"  Never heard that one before. Had a four year starter from up here in Waterloo, IA state championship game last year and state tournament the other three years. 5'6" Pt Guard with an attitude. The attitude scared off some D1 coaches. JD mentioned her attitude about six months later. He never recruited her. Last Spring she commits to Bradley. In the newspaper she says she wanted to go some place close where her family could watch her play. I told JD the last time I checked Macomb was over an hour closer that Peoria!!
leatherneckcountry

LeatherCy wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:03 pm Agree with others that JD is a good guy and has been good in the community. But the figures Scott posted speak for themselves. If his contract is up I'd bet Paul finds a new coach. It won't take long. 

IMO JD has gotten lazy in recruiting. He told me a year ago when a girl he  lost a girl he was recruiting to Bradley "We can't compete with Bradley academically?"  Never heard that one before. Had a four year starter from up here in Waterloo, IA state championship game last year and state tournament the other three years. 5'6" Pt Guard with an attitude. The attitude scared off some D1 coaches. JD mentioned her attitude about six months later. He never recruited her. Last Spring she commits to Bradley. In the newspaper she says she wanted to go some place close where her family could watch her play. I told JD the last time I checked Macomb was over an hour closer that Peoria!!

Well Bradley is 4-27 and 1-19 In valley play

4EverPurple&Gold

I think the seat is officially warm now... Scott broke it down well. Really thought after the NCAA tournament run and then the WNIT appearance that JD was going to be on his way out of here. He accomplished a lot and was great in the community. I loved going to the games those years. So I give it to him for staying in Macomb. 

I think unfortunately that the teams in the league are getting better and well the appeal of playing at WIU isn't great. I mean I watch our games and in conference play every team's facility is way nicer outside of KC. Also the appeal of going to a school that the fan base is passionate about in terms of attendance is big too. Also lets face it, Macomb isn't an easy play to travel to and not a great appeal for high school kids. 

I am not sure if JD is burned out but from my eyes it looks like it. Also when Seth Minter left, I noticed the team started to drop off. I hope JD starts to turn things around. 

But also in his defense look at the rest of our programs this season and really the last couple years have been at the bottom of the conference. 
Baseball: 1-10
Football: 0-11
Men's Soccer: 2-8-7
Women's Soccer: 4-10-3
Softball: 6-11
Volleyball: 4-26
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

4EverPurple&Gol wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:21 am But also in his defense look at the rest of our programs this season and really the last couple years have been at the bottom of the conference. 

This is a good point. Will men's basketball be the only program with a winning record this school year?
And in terms of women's basketball...does it really seem likely that anyone else that we could get is going to do any better than JD has been doing? Probably not very considering our location and facilities.
letsgonecks

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:22 pm
4EverPurple&Gol wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:21 am But also in his defense look at the rest of our programs this season and really the last couple years have been at the bottom of the conference. 

This is a good point. Will men's basketball be the only program with a winning record this school year?
And in terms of women's basketball...does it really seem likely that anyone else that we could get is going to do any better than JD has been doing? Probably not very considering our location and facilities.

Remember, our top player from last year is the 6th girl on a good 19-10 Big12 WVU team.  Our second best player is starting and averaging 7pt/7reb for 20-9 Grand Canyon.  Would like to think this year would have gone much better.

The above paints a clear picture as to how hard it is to win at WIU and to win consistently seems damn near impossible.  Maybe JD has slipped a bit and change can sometimes spark something new, but hard to believe we'd find someone with his experience, knowledge and ability to recruit.  We've had some really good players come through this program with JD, so he can get kids to want to play here.