Spring Sports

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
Necksalum09

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:36 pm Who's in for Coed Rifle and Womens Bowling?  I think we need to shuffle things up a bit.

This stretch has not been good.  Have to look at this from a systemic level rather than a coaching Xs and Os thing.

1) My gut says we are not bringing in the caliber of athletes we have in the past.  This should be a very easy thing to determine. 
Just look at the other D1s at our level or above that also offered our signees.  

2) It is OK to bring in lower caliber athletes and turn them into superstars via a top notch strength and conditioning program, but I am not sure we are there either.

I'd like to see an investment in E-sports. They're pretty cheap, and its getting bigger and bigger every year. A school like WIU could compete withn anyone. They've already done a nice job converting the old Chapman's book store into an e-sports facility.

rocki

Necksalum09 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:08 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:36 pm Who's in for Coed Rifle and Womens Bowling?  I think we need to shuffle things up a bit.

This stretch has not been good.  Have to look at this from a systemic level rather than a coaching Xs and Os thing.

1) My gut says we are not bringing in the caliber of athletes we have in the past.  This should be a very easy thing to determine. 
Just look at the other D1s at our level or above that also offered our signees.  

2) It is OK to bring in lower caliber athletes and turn them into superstars via a top notch strength and conditioning program, but I am not sure we are there either.

I'd like to see an investment in E-sports. They're pretty cheap, and its getting bigger and bigger every year. A school like WIU could compete withn anyone. They've already done a nice job converting the old Chapman's book store into an e-sports facility.

I'm old. E-sports, to me, are NOT sports. Sports involve some actual physical activity, not sitting behind a screen.
meganeck

What an embarrassing weekend for the baseball and softball teams - Both got swept this past weekend, the softball team was outscored 21-3, while baseball was outscored 44-6.
4EverPurple&Gold

meganeck wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:48 pm What an embarrassing weekend for the baseball and softball teams - Both got swept this past weekend, the softball team was outscored 21-3, while baseball was outscored 44-6.

100%... change needs to happen with both of those programs. 

They are embarrassing right now. 

A combined 14-66

LeatherCy

I'll  give VB a pass. New coach and at least three ACL injuries for starters. Has five really good recruits coming in. I liked the fact HC invited all five and their families to the last home match affording them to meet each other their families and the team,.

Isn't the BB coach on an interim title?
leatherneckcountry

LeatherCy wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:05 am I'll  give VB a pass. New coach and at least three ACL injuries for starters. Has five really good recruits coming in. I liked the fact HC invited all five and their families to the last home match affording them to meet each other their families and the team,.

No Boudreau was named the head man 

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

LeatherCy wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:05 am Isn't the BB coach on an interim title?

A bit more detail:
Friday, April 7 - Jeter steps down, Boudreau named Interim HC: https://goleathernecks.com/news/2023/4/ ... coach.aspx
Thursday, April 13 - Boudreau officially named HC: https://goleathernecks.com/news/2023/4/ ... coach.aspx

I'd imagine that Paul Bubb probably wanted a few days to take a look at what the coaching landscape was like at that point before making a decision. Either that or Bubb knew he wanted Boudreau as the HC, but they needed a few days to work out the contract details.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck

leatherneckcountry wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:56 am
LeatherCy wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:05 am I'll  give VB a pass. New coach and at least three ACL injuries for starters. Has five really good recruits coming in. I liked the fact HC invited all five and their families to the last home match affording them to meet each other their families and the team,.

No Boudreau was named the head man 

I think he might have meant the baseball coach, if so yes Sheriff is just the interim coach.
meganeck

Tonight the softball team was up 7-5 going into the last inning against North Dakota and lost 8-7.
4EverPurple&Gold

I think its safe to safe both softball and baseball programs need a change in leadership.