Leaving the conference

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
sealhall74

leatherneckcountry wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:02 am The teams who worked all year to finish on top of the conference should have an easier road but look at the two teams who won the conference tournament last year it was the 3 on the women side and the 5 on the men side.

The advantage should be playing the lower seeded teams at the best times of day, not playing fewer games.
Embrace the pace of the race.
bignecks

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:02 am
screamingeaglepride wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 3:24 pm I do not see North Alabama joining the OVC. North Alabama applied to the OVC around 10 years ago and the OVC turned them down. Austin Peay left the OVC on good terms so the door is open for Austin Peay. With 7 football schools in the OVC I believe that the OVC should ask the 4 Big South football schools to join the OVC in football only and then the OVC should wait to see if the MVFC disbands and go after Southern Illinois and Indiana State.

After thinking about things a bit more, I think something similar would really be my "dream scenario".
The Dakota schools start up Summit League Football, MVFC disbands...but then all the MVC teams in the MVFC (both ISUs, SIU, MO State, Murray State, and UNI) become football-only associate members of the OVC. OVC drops the Big South football partnership and looks like this: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/edit? ... sp=sharing

The MVC teams keep all their other sports in the MVC like they always have, but the OVC immediately is quite secure on the football front. WIU gets to regularly play ILSU, SIU, EIU, UNI...all teams we have long histories with...as well as nearby Lindenwood.

13 teams (12 if Missouri State ends up going FBS as is strongly rumored) playing OVC football in a nice tight footprint. The vast majority of games are driveable, lots of rivalry games can be set up to be permanent/protected rivalries...like SIU and SEMO, ILSU and EIU, hopefully ILSU and WIU also. I think Missouri State and SEMO used to have a rivalry as well (back when it would have been Southwest MO State vs Southeast MO State).

On the baseball broadcast yesterday Bubb said the Summit is looking at football again. So I'm firmly rooting for this final conclusion. 

meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:28 pm
meganeck wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:58 pm I'm not against adding sports but with our budget situation seems odd that we would add sports, granted they are all on the women's side. I guess some of that money we are saving on travel will go here.

Bubb did say that it was to get us into compliance with Title IX, so it was probably either add some women's sports or do something like drop men's soccer.

Ok thanks, didn't realize that
Tere North

meganeck wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:34 pm
meganeck wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:58 pm I'm not against adding sports but with our budget situation seems odd that we would add sports, granted they are all on the women's side. I guess some of that money we are saving on travel will go here.

Bubb did say that it was to get us into compliance with Title IX, so it was probably either add some women's sports or do something like drop men's soccer.

We've been in violation of Title IX for eons and refused to do anything about it.

meganeck

Tere wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 4:55 am

We've been in violation of Title IX for eons and refused to do anything about it.

So there's no punishment for being in violation?

4EverPurple&Gold

meganeck wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 10:05 am
Tere wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 4:55 am

So there's no punishment for being in violation?

I think the NCAA is finally cracking down or someone said something. I noticed we don't even have a compliance director right now
may know

Press conference

screamingeaglepride

bignecks wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:36 pm
screamingeaglepride wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 3:24 pm I do not see North Alabama joining the OVC. North Alabama applied to the OVC around 10 years ago and the OVC turned them down. Austin Peay left the OVC on good terms so the door is open for Austin Peay. With 7 football schools in the OVC I believe that the OVC should ask the 4 Big South football schools to join the OVC in football only and then the OVC should wait to see if the MVFC disbands and go after Southern Illinois and Indiana State.

After thinking about things a bit more, I think something similar would really be my "dream scenario".
The Dakota schools start up Summit League Football, MVFC disbands...but then all the MVC teams in the MVFC (both ISUs, SIU, MO State, Murray State, and UNI) become football-only associate members of the OVC. OVC drops the Big South football partnership and looks like this: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/edit? ... sp=sharing

The MVC teams keep all their other sports in the MVC like they always have, but the OVC immediately is quite secure on the football front. WIU gets to regularly play ILSU, SIU, EIU, UNI...all teams we have long histories with...as well as nearby Lindenwood.

13 teams (12 if Missouri State ends up going FBS as is strongly rumored) playing OVC football in a nice tight footprint. The vast majority of games are driveable, lots of rivalry games can be set up to be permanent/protected rivalries...like SIU and SEMO, ILSU and EIU, hopefully ILSU and WIU also. I think Missouri State and SEMO used to have a rivalry as well (back when it would have been Southwest MO State vs Southeast MO State).

On the baseball broadcast yesterday Bubb said the Summit is looking at football again. So I'm firmly rooting for this final conclusion. 

Do you know were I could fine the broadcast on the internet?
sealhall74

screamingeaglepride wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 4:49 pm
bignecks wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:36 pm

Do you know were I could fine the broadcast on the internet?

The recent broadcasts are available here:
https://goleathernecks.com/watch/?Archi ... pe=Archive

Embrace the pace of the race.
bignecks

It's the May 18th broadcast I'm pretty sure. Try 2:32:30ish