Campus Improvements - Q Lot Reconstruction

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
WIU0812

Looks like they awarded the bid to Hood Demo & Excavation out of Rushville. This is for a price of $200,000 and has an estimated work time of 10/1/15 to 6/30/16.
vatusay

Any other bids?
#ALLIN #YOLO
WIU0812

1 which was most likely was lavidere but do not know what their bid was.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Just got this update regarding the timeline of the project and other info:
The Q-Lot Entry project will begin on Monday, September 21. Hood Demolition will start the work at an entrance of Q-Lot across from the Brophy Hall parking lot entrance. This entrance has not been open to vehicle traffic for several years. Intermittently, other portions of Q-Lot will be closed as Hood works it way south through Q-Lot to widen the new entrance lane. This work should not negativity impact tailgating. This portion of the project is scheduled to be complete by the end of October/early November. Once the first portion is complete, Hood Demolition will move to the entrance adjacent to Western Hall to close the current entrance completely and install a new pedestrian walkway.
So, those of you coming for home games this season will see progress on it. I'll also try to get/take photos periodically if there's any major visible changes.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Updated info: http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php ... e_id=13000

The "old" entrance close to Western Hall closing on Wednesday (tomorrow as of this posting), the new entrance is essentially done. Something to keep in mind with a couple more home football games this season and basketball season starting up fairly soon.

Below is a image showing how it'll all be set up.

sealhall74

Safety First! Maybe I should change my will to include a stipulation that the money must go toward a pedestrian bridge across U Drive. This one is just down the road from me and is sort of tourist attraction. It does look very nice at night. Hey, might as well dream and die big.

Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:Safety First! Maybe I should change my will to include a stipulation that the money must go toward a pedestrian bridge across U Drive. This one is just down the road from me and is sort of tourist attraction. It does look very nice at night. Hey, might as well dream and die big.

That'd be awesome. Maybe when they do the new basketball arena on the west side of Q-lot they can do a pedestrian bridge from the second level of Brophy across to the second level of the "lobby" area of the arena.
Something like this (either option 1 or option 2, possibly with entrances and ramps at each end as well as stairs up at the sidewalks on each side):

Turn the parking lot next to/behind Brophy into a 2-level parking structure and you've pretty much made up for the parking spaces removed for placement of the arena...bam...done...anyone got $50 or so million dollars lying around to make it happen?
WIU0812

The change in entrances fits right along with the master plan. It has actually been amazing how all the pieces are fitting together. Now if we could just get a state budget in place and figure out how to fix some of our major deficit in the state we would be sitting pretty.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU0812 wrote:The change in entrances fits right along with the master plan. It has actually been amazing how all the pieces are fitting together. Now if we could just get a state budget in place and figure out how to fix some of our major deficit in the state we would be sitting pretty.
This is true. For the most part, they're sticking to the master plan as best they can considering funding availability. I mean, it's a good plan, lots of good ideas. They'll obviously tweak a few things here and there as time goes on and the needs of the university change, but overall, it's still a good roadmap for the next probably 10-20 years.
Tere North

Wonder about the sharp and narrow left turn for buses turning in next to Western hall. Seems like would have made more sense to make that westbound entry a bit wider, though still one way, perhaps by not having parking, on the North side.