University Budget Address

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
leatherface

Tere- Thank you for your honest and thoughtful reply. I can see your points. I for one was always critical of Western and it's desire to have so many special admits. I felt it -perception wise- hurt the school from getting a higher quality of student. Again, based on perception by students and parents. Quality students don't generally want to go to a school that is perceived to have low admission standards, and unfortunately, in some areas that is how Western is viewed.

Your information seems to point that special admits have done well. Yes, I have a niece who was special admit, and graduated this spring- it did take her longer, with a major that collects a lot of transitional students. We are proud of her, and her perserverence- just sayin.
wiu712

Significant Budget Cuts at Western Illinois University.
More Cuts Likely.

From Tri-States Public Radio (WIUM-FM):
http://tspr.org/post/significant-budget ... 0#stream/0
Tere North

leatherface wrote:Tere- Thank you for your honest and thoughtful reply. I can see your points. I for one was always critical of Western and it's desire to have so many special admits. I felt it -perception wise- hurt the school from getting a higher quality of student. Again, based on perception by students and parents. Quality students don't generally want to go to a school that is perceived to have low admission standards, and unfortunately, in some areas that is how Western is viewed.

Your information seems to point that special admits have done well. Yes, I have a niece who was special admit, and graduated this spring- it did take her longer, with a major that collects a lot of transitional students. We are proud of her, and her perserverence- just sayin.
When I worked at Western one of my assignments was to evaluate a proposed change the the admissions matrix based on claims that those admitted on the lower end performed poorly. The data showed a very different story. Many of kids that got that chance really made the most of it, far exceeding expectations. At one point, we were praised for helping kids succeed, even with national recognition. Now, when they don't succeed we blame them.

Congrats to your niece. And while some grad in 4 years (and even less when they have AP credits), the overwhelming majority take longer.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Dr. Thomas and the "leadership team" have delayed the faculty job cuts so that they can get more feedback and other ideas for saving money: http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php ... e_id=13178
Him and the leadership team will be taking voluntary salary reductions effective January 1st, and there will be a special BOT meeting on January 12th to address the situation.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Tere North

ST_Lawson wrote:Dr. Thomas and the "leadership team" have delayed the faculty job cuts so that they can get more feedback and other ideas for saving money: http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php ... e_id=13178
Him and the leadership team will be taking voluntary salary reductions effective January 1st, and there will be a special BOT meeting on January 12th to address the situation.
What new input do they really expect to get between today, Dec 15, and the special BOT meeting on Jan 12? Faculty had traditionally resisted doing anything when school is not in session unless they are paid extra for it, and have viewed school ending as soon as their last final is over. So let's face it, faculty are off no later than the end of the week and not back until Jan 19th. If this is supposed to make people happier over the Holidays, I don't see it happening. This just delays those who are going to get pink slipped from finding out at the Dec 18 BOT meeting, only to find out at the Jan 12 meeting.
LocalFan

Perhaps UPI will actually offer some suggestions to help with needed structural budget reforms. UPI leadership has offered nothing and just whines and complains about everything. Why on earth are the UPI members complaining about being blindsided about potential layoffs? Where on earth have they been?
Tere North

LocalFan wrote:Perhaps UPI will actually offer some suggestions to help with needed structural budget reforms.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yes as if that would ever happen. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just as you said:
LocalFan wrote:UPI leadership has offered nothing and just whines and complains about everything.

In fact, it was UPI who had a hissy fit when the administration put out a survey asking employees about preferences regarding the budget issue, e.g., furloughs, layoffs, etc. That led to the survey being pulled though some 1100 had already responded. UPI's gripe. They weren't asked for input before the survey went out.http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/article/2 ... /151119367
wiu712

Maybe Santa is bringing us a signed State Budget for Christmas! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tere North

wiu712 wrote:Maybe Santa is bringing us a signed State Budget for Christmas! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't think even that would make a difference at is it still likely to be a reduction as less and less is spent on higher ed in Illinois forcing schools to adapt to relying on tuition and fees.
wiu712

Friday's Board of Trustees meeting has been moved from the Capitol Rooms to the Grand Ballroom. They must be expecting a large crowd.

This article was in today's Macomb newspaper:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/article/2 ... /151219456