Campus Improvements - Higgins, Lamoine & East Village Demo

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
WIU0812

Since we have all the talk about budget crisis and everything else that is a huge problem, I thought I would post some up lifting news which is that the state, even with the budget problems, has approved the demo of our old buildings. Note, this project if it is similar to most university construction projects has different money than the money for the schools educators and students and is in place for construction projects on the schools. That would mean even in the layoff time the money is not suppose to be transferable to pay for losses.

Has anyone close to school seen any construction mobilization for these projects yet? I expect Higgins will not happen till the summer since it likely is a controlled implosion similar to wetzel and most likely East Village will be this summer or fall since I believe some students still live there, but Lamoine Village I think could of started at any time. The time frame online which is usually extremely rough just says anywhere from 1/18/16 to 5/31/17. The campus will definitely change once these structures are removed. Not sure what they plan to do with the Lamoine Village ground, but I do know they always wanted to put a road across river there to connect out to the university farms and golf course.

https://www.procure.stateuniv.state.il. ... PN=R064364
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I thought I heard that all of the building removals were going to happen over the summer. I'll update if I see anything going on over at Lamoine Village though.

Not sure how well a road bridge across the river would work. The road that goes down to the river from campus ends pretty much right across from the middle of the 4th hole fairway on the golf course. There's not really much room for anything to be built there unless it's a bridge for small vehicles, like golf carts and stuff. Plus the recently redone bridge over the river at Wigwam Hollow road is really nice and not really that far out of the way for getting up the hill from campus. Plus with the financial situation, I doubt they're looking much at any new construction for the foreseeable future.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU0812

The bridge discussed wouldn't follow the road straight but rather would follow the sidewalk which took you to Lamoine village and then up between the Presidents House and the Farm area. That at least was what my understanding of it was.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU0812 wrote:The bridge discussed wouldn't follow the road straight but rather would follow the sidewalk which took you to Lamoine village and then up between the Presidents House and the Farm area. That at least was what my understanding of it was.
I suppose that might work. Obviously we don't have the $ for it right now, but maybe someday. I wonder if it would connect up at the curve where Wigwam Hollow Rd turns back North (on the S-curve near the President's house). I'd also be curious to know if it would somehow connect to the existing Woodland Lane (the road that turns off Wigwam Hollow over to Lamoine Village). My house is about a par 5 from the 4th Hole of the golf course, so it might end up having an impact on me personally.

I do know that the open area south of Woodland Lane that was owned by the University has been given (or sold for very little $) back to the city and they've put a new power substation there, much to the consternation of the residents across the street from it.
vatusay

That road/bridge sounds like a total waste of money to me....

Wigwam needs resurfaced something fierce from Adams street south to tower road. Maybe wiu/Macomb/McDonough county can tackle the cost of that project together instead of building a completely new road right by it, and save some major money in the process.
#ALLIN #YOLO
WIU0812

I do not disagree that it would be a far back burner item, but the Lamoine village and all the area in there is kind of a no mans land since it is not directly connected to campus and is not even right on Wigwam. I believe the idea was to connect the property more and make it easier for students to get through. I could see them not building a full bridge and just rebuilding the pedestrian bridge. As of right now no one is walking to the golf course or the WIU farms since there is no sidewalks on Wigwam that go in that direction unless the established some in last few years and the wigwam loop is a rather large detour when walking/biking anyway. If they were to eventually re-establish the walking bridge and connect a sidewalk to farms/greenhouse area it would take the route from say Thompson and change it from approx 1.5 miles to .75 miles which is a decent drop and makes a walk to class very realistic. Definitely not a important item right now, but would be something to think about if in 10 years there is any turn around.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

vatusay wrote:That road/bridge sounds like a total waste of money to me....

Wigwam needs resurfaced something fierce from Adams street south to tower road. Maybe wiu/Macomb/McDonough county can tackle the cost of that project together instead of building a completely new road right by it, and save some major money in the process.
Very much so, yes. Every year they fill in the potholes and stuff, but it really just means you only have to slow down to 25 when going down the road...before they fill them in every year it's more like 10 mph unless you want to destroy your tires/suspension.
WIU0812 wrote:I do not disagree that it would be a far back burner item, but the Lamoine village and all the area in there is kind of a no mans land since it is not directly connected to campus and is not even right on Wigwam. I believe the idea was to connect the property more and make it easier for students to get through. I could see them not building a full bridge and just rebuilding the pedestrian bridge. As of right now no one is walking to the golf course or the WIU farms since there is no sidewalks on Wigwam that go in that direction unless the established some in last few years and the wigwam loop is a rather large detour when walking/biking anyway. If they were to eventually re-establish the walking bridge and connect a sidewalk to farms/greenhouse area it would take the route from say Thompson and change it from approx 1.5 miles to .75 miles which is a decent drop and makes a walk to class very realistic. Definitely not a important item right now, but would be something to think about if in 10 years there is any turn around.
They could maybe do that, but I could also see that being a safety issue. That's quite a bit of distance to cover with essentially no buildings, no road access, no easy way for police or emergency personnel to get in there, etc. There's also the issue with wildlife, which does occasionally happen on campus with deer and stuff, but is much more prevalent on the other side of the river. Another thing to think of though is, instead of building a new bridge (even just a pedestrian one) and sidewalk out there, would it be cheaper/easier/better to just extend an existing bus route from campus out to the farm and golf course area. There's currently 3 different "Carousel" routes that go past the corner of Wigwam Hollow and University Drive (http://www.wiu.edu/student_services/go_ ... rousel.pdf), and you've already got buses that head out to places on the edges of town...DMV, Bridgeway, MDH, River Run Apartments. I'd think it'd be a better option if the school worked with the town and county to really repair that road up the hill on Wigwam Hollow Rd, then during days, when classes are in session (so when the farm might be used for Ag classes) run a bus up there and back maybe 2-3 times an hour. They might have to pave a bit of the drive that goes back past the golf course parking lot, but I could see the bus heading up to Tower Road, turn right and then right again into the golf course parking lot, go straight through past some of the golf and farm buildings, comes right back out on the top part of Wigwam Hollow, then head back down: https://goo.gl/maps/ZrMdqwtfASD2
Seems to me that something like that would be a cheaper and easier option to improve transportation to the golf course and farm areas.
vatusay

All that patching is joke and waste of money. I laugh when I see them out in winter doing it just to have plows come blow in out in a week or two.

Id like to see the labor/material/equipment financial breakdown of the money spent on that dumb patching to the cost of resurfacing over 12-15 year period.

Maybe in the distant distant future a pedestrian path would be a decent idea. Id say that would be for when the university has money coming out of their ears.
#ALLIN #YOLO
WIU0812

I agree there is definitely different options and some better than others for the school. I am more or less looking far into future could be over decade and definitely under assumption of lessened budget issues. I kind of doubt the wildlife or emergency vehicles would be a huge issue. I mean currently half the site is an abandoned building and residential homes so wouldn't be much different with a little foot traffic on a sidewalk and there is a road that goes right to the middle of that area where Lamoine is at and then Wigwam on the north end. This whole idea is with me assuming eventually they will reuse the land perhaps for a new farm studies building or something. Maybe it is a bad idea, just know that back in day they had a bridge there for the purpose of getting students to Lamoine village and they mention it on the master plan I believe. If they ever decide to reuse this area again I would think a pedestrian bridge would be pushed for especially with most students riding bikes or walking places on campus and the substantial distance it would cut off.

This is picture of old bridge I was talking about. Last time I was down there approx 5 years ago plus it was still standing but was blocked off as unsafe. They had one of the safety push button boxes down there as well.
index.jpg
index.jpg (9.67 KiB) Viewed 7699 times
WIU0812

On a different note it is kind of amazing they have stuck so tightly to the master plan even in these tough times. They obviously have lots of issues with the larger projects getting passed, but the smaller things continue. These demos were on the plan along with if I remember right the purchasing of the land off Adams Street and knocking down the 4 homes. I do not remember if the Q Lot reconstruction was on there or not, but I suppose it could be considered part of the arena which will probably never happen at this rate.

Maybe someone closer to the school can confirm, but below is what I show has been done so far. I am assuming the Varsity Plaza in Phase 1 was what they did by shutting down Q lot and doing the concrete work on either side of road. I am not sure if they have done the Lincoln hall work. Obviously CPA is still on hold and I do not know much about the legacy walk.
master plan.jpg
master plan.jpg (205.01 KiB) Viewed 7674 times
I could see the Murry Streetscape and Western Ave North Streetscape being the next couple of items on the list they complete. There is not a lot in phase 2 that is on the cheaper side. Perhaps the CPA courtyard, if that is possible to do before construction of building. There is also the possibility of the next part of the Varsity Plaza being done from Western Hall to Hanson Field. Other than those items everything is likely to be multi-million dollar projects. The next cheapest thing is likely the visitors center which was rumored to be around 3 million at one time and if they scale back still will most likely be around 2 million. I know the visitors center was at one time somewhat of a priority as they want a place to really start off the tours for prospective students right and make a great first impression.