Summit League Headquarters Moving

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:55 am Should I accept the job, if I make ISU and Redbird Arena the host for all conference basketball tournaments, am I going to irritate anyone? Gut tells me it is pretty close to center mass. It would be very interesting to get all of the current ADs in the same bar and after maybe two or three beers, pop this on them and get their feelings about it.

Not a bad footprint if I do say myself.

http://www.geomidpoint.com/?ml=40.0268& ... =1&r=0&w=0
Don't mind at all. Now, get to it!!!! ;)
sealhall74

rocki wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:04 am
sealhall74 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:55 am Should I accept the job, if I make ISU and Redbird Arena the host for all conference basketball tournaments, am I going to irritate anyone? Gut tells me it is pretty close to center mass. It would be very interesting to get all of the current ADs in the same bar and after maybe two or three beers, pop this on them and get their feelings about it.

Don't mind at all. Now, get to it!!!! ;)
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I think in my spare time, I will work on the 4 lane road hooking up Macomb and Springfield. ;)
Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

Well, the fancy bypass is supposed to open....well, it was June 1, but that's been delayed. Anyway, they had the state guys out picking up trash the last couple of days.

Not exactly a 4 lane to Springfield, but right now it's all we've got, :lol:
leatherneckcountry

I can't wait for the day that all the non dakota schools say enough and leave with just the 4 schools left and they get a reality check and have to scatter to put a conference together.
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:02 am

If you have it at ISU, then it's essentially a "home game" for them. How about the Peoria Civic Center. You'd have to schedule around a few things (Bradley basketball, IHSA basketball tournament, Peoria Rivermen Hockey), but it's a big arena, has great basketball history...especially for Illinois, wouldn't be anyone in the conference's "home arena", but would be close enough and easy enough for everyone to get to.
That would work. The main thing is that the geographic footprint is small enough that a good number of students and fans from ALL schools would be willing to make the trip. Wherever it is, no one school is going to have a stranglehold on tournament tickets like SDSU does in Sioux Falls.
sealhall74

From what I can gather on the net, it looks like it might be a 3-year hiatus for having automatic bids to the NCAA playoffs. That is not a terrible price to pay IMHO. Not sure about football. I think we would need the non-football programs to start football in the first year and hopefully they would pass muster sooner rather than later. I assume the power football teams would still be eligible for at-large berths but not sure about that.

Update: It might only be a 2 year waiting period for automatic playoff qualifiers. Depends on how many active members you currently have. Six appears to be the minimum required in most cases.

The NCAA Bylaws are tough reading.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/product ... s/D110.pdf
Tere North

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:21 am From Elmhurst, IL to Sioux Falls, SD
http://www.thesummitleague.org/general/ ... 0522mvqj3e

And offices in the Sanford Center!
OldHare

Tere North wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:42 pm

It is amazing that the Elmhurst office was kept as long as it has been there. What has been the link to Elmhurst the past 10 or more years? It is much like the SLT where the support financially by corporate sponsors and ticket buyers opened the eyes that there was potential for a tournament regardless of the participants. The Sanford Premier Center(not to be confused with the Sanford Center) was able to bring a NCAA women's regional tourney weekend to Sioux Falls as well. The marketing arm of Sioux Falls might be applauded by many for the progress for these events and/or relocations into the high plains. It may have been more palatable if the office of the Summit located into the larger city of Omaha. Maybe Omaha was not interested in these small potatoes. If we think that the financial gain of the SLT at Sioux Falls is irrelevant, then the financial woes that the state of Illinois has thrust on the universities is not important either. If another city or entity brought greater financial gain to the Summit, the tournament would move in a heartbeat.
wiu712

OldHare wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:07 pmThe marketing arm of Sioux Falls might be applauded by many for the progress for these events and/or relocations into the high plains.
Former Western basketball player Tate Stensgaard is a staff member at the Sioux Falls Convention and Visitors Bureau: https://visitsiouxfalls.com/planners/cv ... tensgaard/
sealhall74

OldHare wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:07 pm
Tere North wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:42 pm

It is amazing that the Elmhurst office was kept as long as it has been there. What has been the link to Elmhurst the past 10 or more years? It is much like the SLT where the support financially by corporate sponsors and ticket buyers opened the eyes that there was potential for a tournament regardless of the participants. The Sanford Premier Center(not to be confused with the Sanford Center) was able to bring a NCAA women's regional tourney weekend to Sioux Falls as well. The marketing arm of Sioux Falls might be applauded by many for the progress for these events and/or relocations into the high plains. It may have been more palatable if the office of the Summit located into the larger city of Omaha. Maybe Omaha was not interested in these small potatoes. If we think that the financial gain of the SLT at Sioux Falls is irrelevant, then the financial woes that the state of Illinois has thrust on the universities is not important either. If another city or entity brought greater financial gain to the Summit, the tournament would move in a heartbeat.
We cant bitch about this office move. It was the smart thing to do. Not only that, we voted for it (assuming we showed up to vote). But I will say a tournament move would take more than a heartbeat as the current contract runs thru 2022. Illinois needs to take the horse by reins and restructure their whole system (a single education board overseeing all of the public colleges) and AT THE SAME TIME, establish its own MIGA Conference I have talked about above. It took the Dakotas a decade to align all of their schools in the same D1 conference. Illinois can do better and get it done in 5 years or less. I have been known to joke around alot but not on this matter. It is a no-brainer.