2018 Week 12 - Around the MVFC (and other games of interest)

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

MVFC Games
12:00 PM - Youngstown State at Illinois State, ESPN+ and NBC Sports Chicago
1:00 PM - #22 Indiana State at Western Illinois, ESPN3
2:00 PM - South Dakota at #5 South Dakota State, ESPN+
2:30 PM - Southern Illinois at #1 North Dakota State, ESPN+
4:00 PM - Missouri State at Northern Iowa, ESPN+

Other FCS of Interest
11:00 AM - #14 Elon at #10 Maine, Fox Sports - Maine could win the CAA autobid and a top 8 seed with a win, Elon could secure a playoff spot if they win
11:00 AM - Harvard vs Yale, ESPN2 - "The Game"...this year at Fenway Park
1:00 PM - #25 Montana State at Montana - "The Brawl of the Wild" is also a matchup of two of WIU's opponents this season and with both teams at 6-4, could heavily play into who makes it into the playoffs.
1:00 PM - #8 James Madison at #11 Towson - both should be playoff teams, but a possible seed is on the line and both are looking for momentum heading into the postseason
1:00 PM - Eastern Illinois at Southeast Missouri State, ESPN3 - fairly local teams, plus SEMO has a shot at a playoff spot (and I've seen some brackets that have WIU playing SEMO in the first round if we both win this weekend)
2:00 PM - #16 Jacksonville State vs #3 Kennesaw State at Suntrust Park in Atlanta (ATL Braves stadium), Fox Sports Southeast
3:35 PM - #4 Weber State at #21 Idaho State - WSU fighting for a good seed, ISU fighting for a playoff spot

FBS Games of Interest
11:00 AM - #22 Northwestern at Minnesota, BTN
2:30 PM - Iowa at Illinois, BTN
Northern Illinois lost to Miami (OH), 13-7, on Wednesday evening this week
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Attendance for that Wednesday MACtion game at DeKalb = 4,878. This was "Senior Night" for Northern Illinois.

Northern Illinois has won the MAC-West and will play the winner of the MAC-East on November 30 in Detroit.
wiu712

Illinois State beat Youngstown State 35-28. Attendance at Illinois State = 5,583.

South Dakota State beat South Dakota 49-27. Attendance at South Dakota State = 8,517.

North Dakota State beat Southern Illinois 65-17. Attendance at North Dakota State = 18,008.

Northern Iowa beat Missouri State 37-0. Attendance at Northern Iowa = 10,072.

Final Standings:
North Dakota State 8-0
South Dakota State 6-2
Northern Iowa 5-3
Indiana State 5-3
Western Illinois 4-4
Illinois State 3-5
South Dakota 3-5
Missouri State 2-6
Southern Illinois 1-7
meganeck

EIU fired their football coach today
leatherneckcountry

So UNI gets in and get a very favorable 1st round game that just shows how weak the playoffs are this year.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Indiana State gets left at home while much worse teams make it in. I do feel that most of the at-large teams were pretty weak-looking at times, but still...some seriously questionable decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wiu712

meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:21 pm Indiana State gets left at home while much worse teams make it in. I do feel that most of the at-large teams were pretty weak-looking at times, but still...some seriously questionable decisions.

I know its hard to say, but do you think we get in if we won Saturday. I can't imagine they take UNI over WIU. Or do you think both would have made it.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:36 am
ST_Lawson wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:21 pm Indiana State gets left at home while much worse teams make it in. I do feel that most of the at-large teams were pretty weak-looking at times, but still...some seriously questionable decisions.

I know its hard to say, but do you think we get in if we won Saturday. I can't imagine they take UNI over WIU. Or do you think both would have made it.
If we won on Saturday, I think we would be in. Indiana State was listed as one of the first 3 out (probably the first one out actually) and we had a head to head win over UNI. UNI was not listed as one of the last 3 in, but I think that if we'd made it in ahead of them, they still might have been in. They wouldn't have taken UNI ahead of WIU, but UNI might still have had a shot. Probably Lamar or UIW would have been pushed just outside the bracket if we'd gotten in.
wiu712

Playoff teams by Conference:

Colonial Athletic Conference (6):
Maine
Delaware
Elon
James Madison
Stony Brook
Towson