What's Coach Billy Wright up to these days?

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Looks like he's going to be working at IUPUI, which should be a good fit for him, I think. From Indiana, spent time coaching HS's in the Indianapolis area, and at Ball State just up the road in Muncie. He also heavily recruited the Indy area, so it's pretty much "home" for him. Kobe Webster, Anthony Jones, Jalen Morgan, and Kendall Rollins were all from Indy.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:50 am Looks like he's going to be working at IUPUI, which should be a good fit for him, I think. From Indiana, spent time coaching HS's in the Indianapolis area, and at Ball State just up the road in Muncie. He also heavily recruited the Indy area, so it's pretty much "home" for him. Kobe Webster, Anthony Jones, Jalen Morgan, and Kendall Rollins were all from Indy.

Agree, this is probably a good spot for him
leatherneckcountry

I see Dodie Dunson who served as both the men's and women's DOBO at WIU from 2014-2016 has joined the Tulsa women's staff as an assistant.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Looks like the rumor of Wright heading to IUPUI was wrong. He's instead going to be an assistant coach back at Ball State (where he was for a year between being an assistant for us under Molinari and taking over as our HC).
https://www.thestarpress.com/story/spor ... 221927001/
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Then again...
Necks2003

I wonder if his teams will continue to be one of the worst in the country at defense.
Last edited by Necks2003 on Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neckfansince71

First of all, I have always thought that Coach Wright was a class guy and I still feel that way. I think at the end he just did not have the answers talent or program wise. If we could have gotten Gilbeck to stay just one more year things may have been different but still we seemed to be constantly rebuilding. Seems like Coach Wright's path since leaving Macomb has been a bit convoluted. I first uncovered an announcement from Ball State that stated what I thought was Coach Wrights return to Ball State but it turned out to be an old release from his years before he returned to WIU. Then we heard IUPUI, then we heard Ball State, and now its Richmond, Indiana. I can't blame Coach Wright for heading home. He was part of a state championship in 1992 which resulted in a wonderful 4 year career at Bradley for Coach Mo. Coaching college ball, all the travel if you are an assistant or working to build a program, has got to be a grind. He is probably going to make more money, he will be able to sit at his dinner table and eat every night unless there is a game to be played or practice to be held or opponent to be scouted. He's a great father and family man and his kids will have the run of the gym whenever they come to school with Dad. And besides that, his brother is the newly named superintendent. Guess they had all sorts of problems in the last couple years so why not come home. Just my opinion. Did not coach in college but did spend 23 years of my life at every level of at times a decent high school program. Of course when I had good teams it was because of good talent and when I had, it was all because I could not coach. Oh well! Lot of fun at times! ;) jc