Out of Control or The American Way? You Decide

Miscellaneous discussions. Things that don't have anything to do with Western, Leatherneck Athletics, college sports in general, etc.
sealhall74

Proposed Cornhusker apparel deal:

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/n ... e821e.html

So a big name school is getting free uniforms and shoes AND getting paid to have their athletes wear the stuff AND Adidas can write it all off as an advertising/marketing expense AND Adidas will no doubt snare quite a few extra seats inside Memorial Stadium because of it. This just leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. If I run out to Dick's to pick up a pair of sneakers, I am pretty damn sure I am paying extra for this crap. But I guess no one is forcing me to Dicks, so maybe it is nothing more than the American way.

Thoughts? For comparison, does anyone know what kind of deal we have with our provider (which I think is also Adidas).
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:04 am Proposed Cornhusker apparel deal:

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/n ... e821e.html

So a big name school is getting free uniforms and shoes AND getting paid to have their athletes wear the stuff AND Adidas can write it all off as an advertising/marketing expense AND Adidas will no doubt snare quite a few extra seats inside Memorial Stadium because of it. This just leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. If I run out to Dick's to pick up a pair of sneakers, I am pretty damn sure I am paying extra for this crap. But I guess no one is forcing me to Dicks, so maybe it is nothing more than the American way.

Thoughts? For comparison, does anyone know what kind of deal we have with our provider (which I think is also Adidas).
I don't know for sure, but I believe that our deal is essentially that we get free gear and stuff. We're not high profile enough to be getting that and a big bonus like Nebraska is, but I think the gear is free (or most of it).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000